RD 5, Pick 156: RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just checked out jwill's highlights. the dude is a downhill beast with great shiftiness and vision. he fights through arm tackles and refuses to go down easily. for running a 4.59, he seems to have very deceptive game speed and didn't have an issue breaking away from defenders. i love his playing style and think he'll be a great addition to the bills. i wasn't initially a huge fan of adding a running back in the 5th due to our depth but am now very happy to have this guy in buffalo.

just checked out jwill's highlights. the dude is a downhill beast with great shiftiness and vision. he fights through arm tackles and refuses to go down easily. for running a 4.59, he seems to have very deceptive game speed and didn't have an issue breaking away from defenders. i love his playing style and think he'll be a great addition to the bills. i wasn't initially a huge fan of adding a running back in the 5th due to our depth but am now very happy to have this guy in buffalo.

Shifty Williams. I like it. Shady and Shifty... quite a combo.

After the Bills made this pick I contacted a buddy of mine who is a big Arkansas fan. His immediate reply: "you got a good one."

I kinda am leaning that way after the intial, " who ? " and "A darned RB ?! Why"

Hogan says hello from WR cast off island. Is he the 1 in 10,000 you are talking about cause I think your math is WRONG.

Back on topic, I didn't know anything about this pick, and originally scoffed at a RB pick. Looking closer I am very excited to get a high ceiling player at skill position of need. I have been very excited with how this draft played out. Sorta wondering what we can get from the UDFA class.

I'm certainly not going to count for you but if you add up all the NFL washouts either from draft picks or UDFAs that bounce around from team to team to team and never really do anything I think my math is pretty close. At this point it's a pretty solid bet that Hankerson, Salas, Little, and Boykin are known quantities and you've seen the best of what they've got to offer based on their bodies of work. Hogan got a decent contract out of New England but again, he's pretty much a known quantity at this point. Is it POSSIBLE that he becomes Wes Welker? I guess, but the odds of that are still astronomically stacked against it. The odds are that Listenbee will bust out too (only 70% of 6th round picks make their team in a given year and 90% are off that team in 5 years) but he's still an unknown so that has some intrigue. I've seen Leonard Hankerson play in the NFL, I haven't seen Kolby Listenbee.

I'm certainly not going to count for you but if you add up all the NFL washouts either from draft picks or UDFAs that bounce around from team to team to team and never really do anything I think my math is pretty close. At this point it's a pretty solid bet that Hankerson, Salas, Little, and Boykin are known quantities and you've seen the best of what they've got to offer based on their bodies of work. Hogan got a decent contract out of New England but again, he's pretty much a known quantity at this point. Is it POSSIBLE that he becomes Wes Welker? I guess, but the odds of that are still astronomically stacked against it. The odds are that Listenbee will bust out too (only 70% of 6th round picks make their team in a given year and 90% are off that team in 5 years) but he's still an unknown so that has some intrigue. I've seen Leonard Hankerson play in the NFL, I haven't seen Kolby Listenbee.

It is the transition from College to NFL that adds to the intrigue perhaps ?

What can the Bills coaches do with these guys to get them on the field and reaching for the high water marks.

I always look at how/ if a team develops draftees and udfas.

I think thats an excellent barometer of a decent program.

Not gonna lie here. I do not think the Bills have had quality program in forever.

But now i think it is on the rise. Not going to go in depth here with my reasoning.

My favorite part of Football is watching the kids develop.

So guys like Listenbee , Williams and even Seymour are fun for me to root for. These days i have honest hope that they are in a good place to become an honest NFL player and have some impact if it is within them to do so.

Edited by 3rdand12

After the Bills made this pick I contacted a buddy of mine who is a big Arkansas fan. His immediate reply: "you got a good one."

Look, I know that he has a lot to prove and I am ONLY talking about running style, but that in that video his style reminds me of Franco Harris.

If he is healthy and get some blocking, I think we are going to get lucky with this kid.

Look, I know that he has a lot to prove and I am ONLY talking about running style, but that in that video his style reminds me of Franco Harris.

If he is healthy and get some blocking, I think we are going to get lucky with this kid.

He has great feet.

Shady now has a backup in JWilliams, and Karlos has a backup in James Wilder Jr. For camp, Felton has a backup in BabyGronk. Gillislee is battling JWilliams and will lose. One of the talking heads called Jonathan the steal of the round.

At least one of this group will inevitably get hurt in camp. I don't really consider Wilder as a legit option unless 2 or more of them can't be ready for the opener.

Williams does look better than MG but I can't see Gillislee not making the team......he is the one back from last year who runs it exactly like Roman draws it up and the one guy who wasn't sidelined with an injury.

I knew it. Sexy Rexy had his fingers all over this draft.

See you can say that. If I said that...... :lol:

Odd choice because of the depth there but he can play.

How did the depth look when Cierre Wood and Boom Herron were the only active RB's for a game last year? Boobie isn't on the team anymore so they needed a replacement

Edited by matter2003

How did the depth look when Cierre Wood and Boom Herron were the only active RB's for a game last year? Boobie isn't on the team anymore so they needed a replacement

Exactly.

Last season it seemed like the Bills were super deep at RB, then all of a sudden they were all gone due to injury.

You can never have too many good backs, especially in a run 1st offense.

You could be describing Shady when describing Jonathan Williams. I think JWill and Mike Gill have a Training Camp battle ahead of them.

@NFL_CFB

Five best bargain picks for AFC East teams --> http://on.nfl.com/1rjBATR

#NFLDraft
ChjoFdJWkAAfWTw.jpg

RB Jonathan Williams, Buffalo Bills

Drafted: 5th round (156th overall)

Why he's a bargain: After spending all of 2015 on the sideline due to a foot injury, Williams was something of a draft afterthought. His absence helped backfield mate Alex Collins enhance his draft profile last year, but when both shared the backfield as a healthy tandem in 2013 and 2014, Williams was the more consistent and reliable player. He's an effective receiver and, barring an injury setback, should not only make the team but earn an early rotational role as well.

Look, I know that he has a lot to prove and I am ONLY talking about running style, but that in that video his style reminds me of Franco Harris.If he is healthy and get some blocking, I think we are going to get lucky with this kid.

Bill, I was calling him "baby Jim Brown"

Guys, I'm fine with the folks who didn't want the pick. If you look back 5 pages ago, i pointed out simply after your first four picks, it makes a lot of sense to forget need and pick the most talented player left no matter the position. Why? Because if you get a steal in talent even In a position of strength, you could end up with more talent on the team and they can produce.

If you simply look at need by the 5th round they orobably saw a better RB comparatively, then an equal as far as WR or DB.

Anyway, I trust our front office in how they evaluated their boards. It is easily conceivable both Shady and Karlos are hurt at the same time, and Williams keeps the train rolling for a couple of weeks. This position seems to be very injury prone for a lot of the productive backs in this league.

Let's hope Whaley was right, and he helps us this year.

Just watched his highlights. He seems like a good fit for Romans offense. He looks to get downhill, has good vision, power, is elusive and shiftyness. It seems the only thing he lacks is top end speed.

Maybe he can just run the safeties over ?