RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

So why didn't he go Top 15? He's a "hair on fire" player with limited athleticism who made plays on a stacked defense. His passrush moves are non-existent - lean and push. IMO he's just a role player not an elite talent. But I guess Rex needs someone who will set the edge without complaint and won't divide the locker room.

Several things here: Scouts disagree with you that he has a limited pass rush arsenal, in fact most of them list this area as a strength. You justify your belief that he's not good by virtue of the fact that he wasn't ALREADY GONE when we picked? That argument is about as logical as rubber crutches in a polio ward.

Shaq 2016 v.Mario 2015 is improvement, Shaq 2016 v. Mario 2014 is not.

Improvement would have been Rex being able to get out of Mario in 2016 what he gave in 2014 and using draft pick to improve team in another area of need

Like I said, finding it hard to get excited or too optimistic over this team and this pick at this time

Of course keeping Mario would have meant we wouldn't have had the money for Cordy and Gilmore, but don't let a little thing like reality and math get in your way, you're on a roll

@LedyardNFLDraft

ChOKpPXUYAIplfe.jpg

Don’t take the phrase “winners and losers” seriously. It is one day after the first round ended, everyone knows it is too early to judge these selections. We do it because it is fun. So relax and hope I’m right about the winners and wrong about the losers.

Winners

Shaq Lawson landing in Buffalo was probably the biggest coup of the night. My No. 6 overall player, Lawson slid all the way to a defensive-minded head coach who will have a field day with his well-rounded abilities off the edge. Great marriage for a great player and a team that desperately needed pass rush help opposite Jerry Hughes.

A guy who weighs 270+ pounds should NEVER be in coverage. If he is, the coach should be fired.

So you think his college coach Dabo Swinney should be fired for dropping him into coverage several times a game? :unsure:

YESSSSSS!!!!! My Idiot looser brother and I get to waste another stud DE by dropping him into coverage!!!!!!

Sterling analysis. :thumbdown:

I just hope Lawson can cover because there is no Such thing as a pass rush in Rexs system.

He can and does. He looks extremely heads-up against the run too. Not too many running backs get by him. He doesn't fall for jukes easily and sets low and gets wide with his wingspan which helps him gain contain. One other thing, I'll wager he gets more sacks in his rookie season than the turd he's replacing got all last year.

Edited by Nanker

Agreed.

He called it an underwhelming selection and I understand why. You want a potential all pro with your first round pick. From several respective posters here, it sounds like Shaq's ceiling is a solid, versatile player in the NFL..... Not an all pro by any means. His beef is using a first round pick on that type of guy.

I also agree with Coach. Did Whaley or Rex make this pick?

With the 19th pick in the 1st round? It would be great if it turns out that way. But to expect that and express disappointment makes zero sense IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Stop with all this logic and reason, theres no place for it in rants about our first round pick lol.

In all seriousness, its mind blowing how people don't seem to understand this. Its like they suddenly forgot how massive Mario's contract was and that keeping him meant creating MULTIPLE holes at other important positions.

The dumbest part is whining that we used a 1st to fill a hole we created. Well guess what, had we kept Mario and lost multiple other players, we STILL would have used our 1st to fill a hole because of Mario, just would have been because we kept Mario and lost MORE players we had to find replacements for.

This is exactly right and why in all probability Mario had no future with the team no matter how he performed last year. The signing of Dareus and Hughes last year virtually guaranteed they would be moving on. Edited by MDFan

With the 19th pick in the 1st round? It'd would be great if it turns out that way. But to expect that and express disappointment makes zero sense IMO.

yup. there are 18 other teams that had better shots at getting that all pro, and we cant expect all 32 every year to be that.

i do like having that potential, but i think he does have the potential for a higher ceiling than some are giving credit for. just because he is likely very good doesnt mean hes completely incapable of great

Shaq had 4 pressures, 5 run disruptions, 3.5 TFL, 3 stuffs vs Stanley.

That is a nice stat line vs. the first OLman off the board last night. How nice of ESPN and Gruden to focus on a few plays where Stanley did a good job on Lawson.

GO BILLS!!!

Others to wear #90 for the Bills are:

TJ Barnes (2015)

Jeremy Towns ('14)

Alan Branch ('13)

Chris Kelsay ('03-'12) (Pro Football Reference also lists Chris Ellis in 2010. Anyone have a better source?)

Ryan Denney ('02)

Phil Hansen (1991-2001)

Tim Cofield ('89)

Arnold Campbell ('87)

Steve Maidlow ('85)

Scott Hutchinson ('79-'83)