RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Plus Watkins was picked before Rex got here. Last year we went FSU heavy in the draft. Living in Charleston I watch alot of the Clemson games and follow their program. They always have top end talent and good human beings. If they are not Dabo kicks them off the team. They are the anti FSU.

This kid is the real deal. I'm guessing we'll all be very happy with this pick after her settles in and learns the defense and speed of the NFL.

This is spot on.. I've been on campus for the past couple years and these guys don't really get away with anything under dabo. I also agree that everyone will end up loving this pick.

Yes, we had a good defense as some have said but Shaq was still the focal point, getting the most attention from the O. For those who watched the breakdown against Stanley, that game alone shows his versatility that will translate to our scheme very well. He lined up as a 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, and played some OLB as well. And another highlight is that he LIKES dropping into coverage when asked, and looked pretty natural doing it.

Something I feel everyone will notice quickly is his run defense, setting the edge. His high motor allows him to effect the play even if he doesn't get to the ball.

Anything could happen, but after watching him for a couple years in person I thought it was a great choice. (I personally thought we had no chance to get him)

Edited by Clemson Bills Fan

This is spot on.. I've been on campus for the past couple years and these guys don't really get away with anything under dabo. I also agree that everyone will end up loving this pick.

Yes, we had a good defense as some have said but Shaq was still the focal point, getting the most attention from the O. For those who watched the breakdown against Stanley, that game alone shows his versatility that will translate to our scheme very well. He lined up as a 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, and played some OLB as well. And another highlight is that he LIKES dropping into coverage when asked, and looked pretty natural doing it.

Something I feel everyone will notice quickly is his run defense, setting the edge. His high motor allows him to effect the play even if he doesn't get to the ball.

Anything could happen, but after watching him for a couple years in person I thought it was a great choice. (I personally thought we had no chance to get him)

Sounds great! Thanks for the intel on Shaq. :thumbsup:

!!! Was waiting for you to chime in. Awesome.

I agree and think it is silly for Rex to get knocked for picking Clemson players. Having his son be someone who knows these guys, their work ethic in practice, attitude on and off the field, leadership qualities, etc... is invaluable information and something you don't get to see during the pre-draft process where everyone is on there best behavior and giving coached answers.

I also wonder if they figured he wouldn't be around for there spot so they didn't feel the need to bring him in.

No sense smacking Rex for the picks because...he ain't making them.

ESPN's Take:

Shaq Lawson Clemson DE

Buffalo

• dm_160402_NFL_Draft_16_Shaq_Lawson.jpg watch.png Video Highlights
  • What he brings:Lawson has a great looking frame, a strong football-character makeup and plays with infectious energy. He is an excellent run defender with heavy hands and quality upper-body power. While he has some athletic limitations, he possesses a strong combination of quickness, power and relentlessness as a pass-rusher. He will provide an immediate physical edge to a front seven and should quickly develop into an impact edge defender.

How he fits:Lawson adds some youth on the edge and helps ease the loss of Mario Williams' departure in free agency. He also plays with a relentless motor and physical edge that head coach Rex Ryan covets on defense. Lawson does come with some durability concerns due to a shoulder injury, but should push for a starting spot opposite of Manny Lawson quickly if he remains healthy. -- Kevin Weidl