RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

There is absolutely no reason to sit him for the season after successful surgery and the required recovery period. This simply is not going to happen.

The reason would be that he will not have enough experience to play and help the team effectively. The practice reps, etc. are critical for a rookie. If the team is in contention for a playoff spot you wouldn't want to play a rookie that might not understand the meaning of Don Juan-butterfly-clownshoe-stiletto-gap9-pitching wedge-Theoldmanandtheseapage441paragraph1sentence2word6-pedicure-alkalinasinbatterynotbaseballplayer ​when it is called out 1 second before the snap. If Rex has the team out of contention by November 10th again, then by all means get the rook some experience even though the new coach will install a new D in 2017. The real reps will be valuable.

This reminds me of the time the Shah had spleen surgery. If theres any truth to that, we're done for, and we better just start planning for 2017. #itsShaqnotShah #shahspleensurgery #irancontraaffair

Was the Shah the guy that had that huuuge shoe collection?

I'd sit him until 2017. He will be in this year with a recent injury and recovery, go against a 325# lineman coming at him full speed and blow it out again, maybe some permanent damage

That's a concern: how good is our medical staff really in judging when recovery has progressed enough to let the player return to full contact? Yeah, yeah, anecdotes, but the track record of recent years seems a little tenuous.

Edited by Hopeful

I'd sit him until 2017. He will be in this year with a recent injury and recovery, go against a 325# lineman coming at him full speed and blow it out again, maybe some permanent damage

There is nothing to suggest he can't recover and contribute his rookie year. He played his college career with the injury while wearing a brace and still gave the likes of Ronnie Stanley, the first OLman selected in the draft, all they could handle.

If for some reason his rehab doesn't go as planned and other complications arise, then sure, sit him all year. But right now, he should hit the field as soon as able.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't understand why some think he needs to sit the whole season. If he's cleared to play, he's cleared to play. He will be cleared to practice weeks before he plays in a game. It's football, not brain surgery. He's played his whole life. Maybe they ease him in with 50% snaps early in his return. I'm sure he will rotate initially like a lot of rookies. As a rookie he's here to help but the season doesn't hang on him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't understand why some think he needs to sit the whole season. If he's cleared to play, he's cleared to play. He will be cleared to practice weeks before he plays in a game. It's football, not brain surgery.

And he played at a high enough level, injured, for three years, to be selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft!

I don't understand why some think he needs to sit the whole season. If he's cleared to play, he's cleared to play. He will be cleared to practice weeks before he plays in a game. It's football, not brain surgery.

He will be working on the side in training camp. Cleared to practice by the last week in August and on the field the first week in October..this is not that big of a deal if there is not a setback...The great news is an upper body injury still allows the player to maintain decent cardio shape..

And he played at a high enough level, injured, for three years, to be selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft!

i know I haven't kept up on all the threads and maybe I'm missing something but this isn't the first rookie to start the season injured. I'm not sure it is as outrageous as some are making it out to be. It's preventative surgery.

Now you're spinning it that it is even better that he is injured than if he were healthy? Dude give me a break,

He's a good player and the player we needed because of the corner Rex painted us into. If he were healthy we wouldn't have been able to get him, so I suppose it was good in that regard but if we weren't so compromised by having the head coach we have, I'm sure Whaley would have preferred a healthy player. We have to write off a year of productive play from a first rounder because Rex is Rex. It really is that simple. The good news is that 2017 bodes well for the coach that inherits this kid. We'll still need help in other areas like viable LB with speed but Lawson will be in place.

There is nothing to suggest he can't recover and contribute his rookie year. He played his college career with the injury while wearing a brace and still gave the likes of Ronnie Stanley, the first OLman selected in the draft, all they could handle.

If for some reason his rehab doesn't go as planned and other complications arise, then sure, sit him all year. But right now, he should hit the field as soon as able.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed

He is getting this done soon enough that Shaq can make a contribution this year....I think it would be smart to bring in a vet....and then rotate them when Shaq comes back.....

You know there is a possibility that Shaq might be an even BETTER football player when he comes back as long as they do it correctly.

Now you're spinning it that it is even better that he is injured than if he were healthy? Dude give me a break,

He's a good player and the player we needed because of the corner Rex painted us into. If he were healthy we wouldn't have been able to get him, so I suppose it was good in that regard but if we weren't so compromised by having the head coach we have, I'm sure Whaley would have preferred a healthy player. We have to write off a year of productive play from a first rounder because Rex is Rex. It really is that simple. The good news is that 2017 bodes well for the coach that inherits this kid. We'll still need help in other areas like viable LB with speed but Lawson will be in place.

Every time I see a poster HOPING that we go through another coaching change I just shake my head

That is just kicking the playoff season resurgence down the road....

and again......

and again.....

and again......

Every time I see a poster HOPING that we go through another coaching change I just shake my head

That is just kicking the playoff season resurgence down the road....

and again......

and again.....

and again......

I hope Rex has us 16-0.

I hope I win the Martian Power Ball for 8 trillion Glomtorts too.

Neither is happening.

Rex's days as a viable coach are done but the damage he does while here will remain, giving Whaley quite a difficult task.