RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

1- I don't know what the hell Gruden was talking about. Stanley did not own Shaq in that game

2 - Looks like he has no problem dropping into coverage on 5% of the plays.

I agree. After hearing Gruden I wanted to see for myself. I thought he did pretty well considering the double teams.

Shaq Lawson: "Buffalo, please grab me" (3:42)

Bills first round selection Shaq Lawson joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his initial reaction to being chosen by Buffalo 19th overall and why he desperately wanted to be drafted by the Bills.

Watch the Buffalo Bills 19th overall draft pick, DE Shaq Lawson talk about being drafted by the Bills.

1- I don't know what the hell Gruden was talking about. Stanley did not own Shaq in that game

2 - Looks like he has no problem dropping into coverage on 5% of the plays.

I'd give Stanley the edge overall. Controlled him in pass protection but really couldn't move him much in the run game. I didn't see a lot of range from Lawson in pursuit however. He looks like a point of attach run defender.

Honestly, the kid has some work to do if he's going to beat out Manny, if the Bills are fair about the competition.

Edited by vincec

BPA, probably. By a lot over a position of need? No. As of right now, we aren't any better on paper than we were last year. We have no one at LB and the very next pick was a quality LB. With Kyle, Dareus, and Hughes, we should be able to plug in a 3rd/4th round DE and let them get a decent rush. I would even argue that WR was a bigger need.

Your first pick should be a diffference maker at a position of need. This wasn't it for me. Great player. Good kid. BPA. We had great talent last year and Rex !@#$ed that up. Just can't get excited about this like so many others.

Did you ever think maybe it's just you?Mario did nothing at that position last year and Shaq is a younger and cheaper replacement. We lost Bradham but he was almost invisible to me last year in this system and he was always a liability in coverage. We signed a decent LB who is a better cover guy than Bradham to start at WLB and the draft isn't even close to being over. Therefore, we are better on paper.

Did you ever think maybe it's just you?Mario did nothing at that position last year and Shaq is a younger and cheaper replacement. We lost Bradham but he was almost invisible to me last year in this system and he was always a liability in coverage. We signed a decent LB who is a better cover guy than Bradham to start at WLB and the draft isn't even close to being over. Therefore, we are better on paper.

It's always me. I'm very aware of this

I don't really love this pick.

Lawson is an edge rusher, the Jerry Hughes role. We already have Hughes!

My biggest needs for the Bills were ILB, NT, and WR. We had the best WR in the draft at making contested catches on the board, Josh Doctson. He would have replaced Robert Woods terrible 50% catch rate from last year.

We also need ILBs. Know who is a versatile linebacker who plays in the middle? Darron Lee.

I hope I end up being wrong but I feel like we could have done better.

I think they should have moved down. There was so much D-Line talent and Lawson isn't that special of a player to stay there

I dont see where Lawson fits. Is he going to play stand up? They said he shoild play in the 260s, he is not Marios replacement. I think he is gonna be a strong side lb in our system? Not sure dont love it. Dont hate it. I just have to see

Hughes is the speed rusher, so the Bills needed the power rusher to out-perform Mario Williams. This power rusher —let's call him “Shaq”, shall we? —can work from a variety of positions—from the stand-up 3-4 OLB spot, from the five-technique DE spot (head up over the tackle), or from inside at a three-technique (between the Guard and Tackle). A successful (<b><a href="http://on.nfl.com/23UlwGo"target="_blank" >and confirmed healthy</a></b>) Shaq would have toughness, size, explosiveness, instincts, and athleticism. This is not a mere replacement. This is the <i>upgrade</i>. This Shaq finished 5th in the nation in sacks (12.5) in 2015. <b><a href="http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/04/15/shaq-lawson-nfl-detroit-lions/83081858/" target="_blank" >“Shaq Lawson made Ronnie Stanley look like an undrafted Free Agent”</a></b>. However, what really stands out is that this Clemson guy topped the nation with 25.5 tackles for loss, and was second in the nation in "stuffs" for D-Linemen with 17. Film suggests that ACC opponents countered by running away from Shaq consistently, so his success behind the LOS is even more impressive. Another Lawson makes lots of sense. But we'll go with Shaq instead of Manny this time. Grade: A+

Sounds good, hope he is better than Mario WAS

I'd give Stanley the edge overall. Controlled him in pass protection but really couldn't move him much in the run game. I didn't see a lot of range from Lawson in pursuit however. He looks like a point of attach run defender.

Honestly, the kid has some work to do if he's going to beat out Manny, if the Bills are fair about the competition.

Its not like Stanley owned him in pass pro. Shaq was taken down for a holding penalty on a would-be sack, forced a few early incomplete passes and collapsed him on bull rushes. Lawson's run D was excellent- it was a competitive matchup.

Edited by Aaron

how did mario's poor play truly impact how ****ty we were on defense?

hint: it didn't.

teams still passed all over our middle. ran up the gut of the defense.

so, again, DE not needed. LB needed. we both agree. lawson may have been bpa or close but there were better picks considering his shoulder issue, his size and frame.

i am fine with this pick. he's going to be alright but i'd much rather have gone a different direction, like treadwell, lee (who would be ideal for safety and linebacker), butler or even jack based solely on positional value to this scheme.

:doh::wallbash:

are you just trying to be disagreeable lately?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian