Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agent's Take: How to end the absurdity between Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-to-end-the-absurdity-between-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-the-jets/

Great article Yolo. With the proper context of the crappy salary cap situation that the Jets are actually facing, the "just pay him" mentality clearly falls short of reality. I didn't even realize that almost $1.8m of the $3.5m cap that they had left would likely be used still to sign draft picks. Not good!

This really is an interesting off-season for the Jets. If they can't find a way to work with Fitz and bring him back, they have to put a lot of toothpaste back in the tube.

They've been talking about how they expect a deal to be done and blah blah. If he doesn't and guys like Forte, Marshall and Decker who have voiced support and disappointment if Someone other than Fitz is the starter week one. Its the kind of stuff that torpedoes a team before it can suit up

I hope they win 5 games and miss out on a great QB.

My point is that the Bills had signed Fitz to a rather (at the time) expensive, middle-of-the-pack starting QB contract and Nix's statements made it clear they were going to require him to take a pay cut because in their opinion he wasn't playing to the level of that contract. If you have been the starting QB and you see the words on paper that your GM will be asking you to "do something" because you are "fighting for probably a backup job" I think that goes a long way towards making your decision for you.

My point is that 1) when Nix calls you or your agent and says "the organization needs you to take a pay cut"( with explanation) then Fedexs over a new contract with lower $$, and then 2) the new coach announces in the media you will be in "open competition" with a chap who just signed for about 1/10th of your salary, you've already seen plenty of words on paper and you already know what you need to know about your position in the organization. Then you will make a business decision based on the details of the contract, whether or not the Bills are willing to negotiate on any of your sticking points (evidently, they weren't and didn't), and what you and your agent think you can get for your services elsewhere.

You don't need a Catfishing phone call to make your decision. That's just food for the press and the fans.

I do agree with you that Nix/Whaley were not aggressive in pursuing qb options from the draft or from the market. What I see is that the failure was not how he handled Fitz (I have no problem with it and you do) but the failure was not having a plan in place before he made his decision on Fitz. Strategic thinking certainly wasn't a hallmark of Nix and the organization. What should have been a priority pursuit was a secondary issue.That is more of a main issue for me than the issue of Fitz, a middling qb. i.e. getting a more credible qb. Apparently Nix felt (and maybe Whaley also?) that it was more important to bolster the roster in general before addressing the qb position. (I heard him say that on WGR on more than one occasion.)

Are the Jets taking taking a risk with their paltry offer to Fitz. Yes, and I have said so. That doesn't mean that they don't have a backup plan that you or I are aware of. I'm not even sure what Elway's plans are for qb for his SB team. What appears to me is that the Jets have made a basic calculation that they are willing to pay Fitz to his talent level. Evidently it isn't too high.

Hmmm, progress. We may be closer than I thought. I don't have a problem with how Nix handled Fitz per se, but rather with how he handled Fitz in the context of overall organizational decisions and the priority assigned to the QB position. (Nix obviously had a plan in place, I just look at it and say "that's a Really Bad Plan"). Can we agree that Nix's whole approach to the QB position was flawed and thus he doesn't represent a good benchmark for assessing QB value?

The Jets may have a super-secret backup plan, but in today's QB market, it's totally fair to ask "WTH is it then?"

It sounds like where we fundamentally disagree is that to you, the Jets contract offer is all calculating Fitz value and paying him proportionately. I think the Jets salary cap situation has a lot to do with it.

Ha ha

How I envision it is that Fitz is home, opening presents with his kids, eating, drinking and watching basketball. He has the whole family over. The Jets are getting back from NE after getting beat by 35. They'll have about 5 wins and the excitement of last year will feel like a lifetime ago.

And you probably envisioned same thing last year. Your point? It appears to be you have cataracts.

And you probably envisioned same thing last year. Your point? It appears to be you have cataracts.

So you think that the Jets are better without Fitz? He isn't great but in this exact offense he had the most TD passes and the 2nd most yards that a Jets QB has ever had. If you think that they are better off with Geno or even equal, we disagree.

Hmmm, progress. We may be closer than I thought. I don't have a problem with how Nix handled Fitz per se, but rather with how he handled Fitz in the context of overall organizational decisions and the priority assigned to the QB position. (Nix obviously had a plan in place, I just look at it and say "that's a Really Bad Plan"). Can we agree that Nix's whole approach to the QB position was flawed and thus he doesn't represent a good benchmark for assessing QB value?

The Jets may have a super-secret backup plan, but in today's QB market, it's totally fair to ask "WTH is it then?"

It sounds like where we fundamentally disagree is that to you, the Jets contract offer is all calculating Fitz value and paying him proportionately. I think the Jets salary cap situation has a lot to do with it.

Nix's QB plan was indeed flawed, but it looks like the flaw was not drafting QBs higher than he valued them.

Every year he was there he said before the draft that he wanted to leave the Bills when he left with a stable QB situation and that they were absolutely considering QBs that year.

Tons of rumors saying they wanted Russell Wilson and if I remember correctly, Ponder and one other guy. Can't remember who. And finally EJ's year Nix saying that he'd finally realized that you have to draft a QB a round earlier than his value because otherwise he'd be gone. Nix was constantly talking through his first three years or so about how good drafters just don't reach, that the way to draft well was to get value. Were they going to draft Russell Wilson but not till the fourth? If true, a massive mistake.

That "you have to draft them a round early" statement sure looked to me like a guy who'd been disappointed in his aim to draft a QB for a year or two in a row.

Last season the Jets went four-wide receiver personnel on about a third of their snaps—far and away the most in the league. When you spread out, the defense has to spread with you. That compromises the D’s ability to disguise, both in blitz and in coverage

Yet the Rex D was able to beat Chan's O both times

My point is that 1) when Nix calls you or your agent and says "the organization needs you to take a pay cut"( with explanation) then Fedexs over a new contract with lower $$, and then 2) the new coach announces in the media you will be in "open competition" with a chap who just signed for about 1/10th of your salary, you've already seen plenty of words on paper and you already know what you need to know about your position in the organization. Then you will make a business decision based on the details of the contract, whether or not the Bills are willing to negotiate on any of your sticking points (evidently, they weren't and didn't), and what you and your agent think you can get for your services elsewhere.

You don't need a Catfishing phone call to make your decision. That's just food for the press and the fans.

I'm pretty sure when the Bills approached Fitz's agent they didn't say he would be "fighting probably for a backup job." It's fine, we disagree, but I just don't think you can eliminate pride from the discussion after the release of the taped call.

I'm pretty sure when the Bills approached Fitz's agent they didn't say he would be "fighting probably for a backup job." It's fine, we disagree, but I just don't think you can eliminate pride from the discussion after the release of the taped call.

Nice job on the avatar eball!!

The Jets are screwed, it is either sign Fitz for a big amount of money and not go to the playoffs, or sign don't sign Fitz and don't go to the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned they have 2 options. Option 1 is to sign Fitz and take a run at the playoffs (which they may or not make). Option 2 is to not sign Fitz, deal Wilkerson (you may get a 1st) & Marshall or Decker. Play all of the young guys and win about 4 games. At that point they will have a little cap room, 2 1sts (potentially) including a top ten pick and Revis can come off the books (I think). You will have a chance to rebuild quickly if that's the route you go.

What I expect is that if they don't sign Fitz, they go "half pregnant" and try to win with the bums. They will win about 6, not get anything for Wilkerson and pick a little later. That's probably best case scenario for us.

How can there be 45 pages to this?

(Fitz why didn't you have a better arm :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: could have solve our QB problem)

A lot of people have a soft spot in their hearts for Fitz, and he's proven that he really likes the Bills too or at least that he still thinks he plays for them sometimes when he's on the field. Plus, its the most interesting story this offseason with plenty of new coverage.

50 here we come.

We are not going to totally agree on this issue. I am resolute in my position on Fitz and the caliber of qb he is. I am bedrock in agreement with Nix's stance that Fitz needed to take a pay cut and adjust his contract so that it was more in balance with his talent level. From a cap standpoint there is no doubt that the franchise took a cap hit (as you pointed out) with the dispatch of Fitz. My response to that loss of cap usage is so what! It certainly didn't have an impact on our backwater franchise's operation during the Wilson era. You have to remember that this was an organization that very often had a salary structure that was under the cap. So the loss of cap space wasn't as damaging as it would have been for a franchise that was seriously competing..

Where you and I do agree is that this second-rate organization under Nix and Whaley, too a lesser extent, didn't prioritize the position. The releasing of Fitz didn't need to be the trigger for what should have been a constant quest for a legitimate franchise qb until one was found. Even when Fitz was starting the quest should have been on full bore desperation mode to find a more accomplished starting qb, even if was to simply to get a good prospect in the pipeline. The drafting of Manuel, a third round caliber of prospect foolishly taken in the first round, was a desperate move by an incompetent GM who wanted to make sure that he had at least put someone in his corroded pipeline before he left the scene.

As you noted the Jets are in a difficult cap situation. It's never been a point of disagreement between us because from the start of my multiple postings on this topic I have acknowledged it. When you sit in a small room with a gorilla and elephant you can't claim that you didn't notice that there were other sizable objects in the room with you. What's obvious is obvious.

But the reality for the Jets and and all NFL teams that no matter what a team's cap situation is if you are negotiating with a qb with high-end talent you will do whatever you have to do to get the qb under contract. Even if that means cutting players or re-structuring qbs to make the numbers work. You know very well that this season if Tyrod demonstrates that he is a sterling qb the organization will do whatever needs to be done to get a deal done. That certainly isn't the case in NY because Fitz is worth that type of accommodating response.

The underlying point on my excessive postings is simple: I consider Fitz to be a mediocre qb who is basically a decent backup who happens to start on a team with a void at that position. Is Fitz being underpaid as a starter? Absolutely. Are the Jets taking a risk with their hard-line negotiating stance? Absolutely. I still don't disagree with what they are doing. As I said before I believe a deal will get done but it will lean more towards the team position than the Fitz position.

Fitz had a good year last year. I have acknowledged that point. However, I'm not going to over value his last year's stats as most people are doing. I firmly believe that that performance is an aberration from his standard that has been well established for a decade or so.

I don't want to be too inflammatory but from my perspective what Rex is to coaching Fitz is to qbing: Wretched mediocrity that gets you nowhere. Simply fools gold.

Edited by JohnC

Here is my issue with Fitzpatrick and the whole "Fitzmagic" scam.

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey talked to us like we were children when asked about why they weren't drafting QBs. They "had their guy" and golly gee, wouldn't EVERYONE want like 2-3 picks per round? That'd sure be nice! But you see (little dumb fan) the ole NFL only gives us ONE per round, unless we trade. And we have all these other needs...

Plus we got our guy! Fitz is great!

No, Fitz is mediocre to bad, depending on the day. For such a smart guy he makes a ton of idiot mistakes at the worst times, which IMO is what he's doing right now with his career, assuming he still wants to play and be a starting NFL QB. He's in a spot where the Jets have him stuck and they know it. Notice other teams aren't banging down his door.

But back to the original point: from 2000-2015 the Patriots* (cheating scum that they are) drafted 8 QBs, and even when it was evident that Brady was great (which was 2001) they just kept right on taking QBs.

The Bills (who haven't had "a guy" who was anything more than a flash in the pan like Flutie and most were awful) drafted 4. Who can blame them? For a lot of those years they had their QB (Fitz)!

The Bills management and coaches scolded us like we were children for wondering about drafting QBs because "their guy" was consistently good for 4-6 wins.

So personally that's why I am no fan of Fitz and enjoy watching his inevitable, epic failures. I hope he comes back to the Jets and they win 5 games.

We are not going to totally agree on this issue. I am resolute in my position on Fitz and the caliber of qb he is. I am bedrock in agreement with Nix's stance that Fitz needed to take a pay cut and adjust his contract so that it was more in balance with his talent level. From a cap standpoint there is no doubt that the franchise took a cap hit (as you pointed out) with the dispatch of Fitz. My response to that loss of cap usage is so what!

Nope, regressing- now you're back to failing to address the clearly spelled out actual point I made (hint: the cap hit was NOT the issue) and just reiterating your already-stated viewpoint, which amounts to "straw man" when it doesn't address the point of the post it's responding to.

I don't want to go off onto the Rex tangent, I'll just leave it that I've expressed doubts on our coach elsewhere and would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Hopeful

A lot of people have a soft spot in their hearts for Fitz, and he's proven that he really likes the Bills too or at least that he still thinks he plays for them sometimes when he's on the field. Plus, its the most interesting story this offseason with plenty of new coverage.

50 here we come.

:death:

The state of a division rival is far more important than many of the things that are discussed here.

Jets are a pretty talented team.......the Bills barely beat them both times they played.......could have easily gone the other way both times.

Fitz didn't play his best against the Bills but otherwise he was 10-4 against the rest of the league so they are pretty good with him in there.

Without him........they are not. :devil:

How funny is it that REX RYAN caused all this by coaxing his malcontent defense to play hard enough to turn Fitz back into Fitz for one week when the chips were down. :nana:

If he pulls out one or both of those games, the Jets are in the playoffs and he has already signed for more than is on the table now.

Nope, regressing- now you're back to failing to address the clearly spelled out actual point I made (hint: the cap hit was NOT the issue) and just reiterating your already-stated viewpoint, which amounts to "straw man" when it doesn't address the point of the post it's responding to.

I don't want to go off onto the Rex tangent, I'll just leave it that I've expressed doubts on our coach elsewhere and would love to be proven wrong.

I'm not trying to be stubborn and resistant to your point of view but I don't understand what you are getting at. My basic point in this thread centers around Fitz's talent. When the discussion veered toward how Nix dealt with Fitz I have no problem with him letting Fitz go because he wouldn't take a cut despite taking a cap hit. The criticism that I have against Nix and the organization has little to do with the marginally talented Fitz but with the organization's lack of aggressiveness in pursuing a legitimate franchise qb. That applies before Fitz arrived on the scene, while he was on the scene and after he left the scene.

My focus centers on the issue of talent for the most important position on the field and the historical lack of urgency in addressing that position. That's where I am coming from. If you are driving on a different road then that's okay. Taking different routes doesn't necessarily mean that you still can't get to the same destination, intentionally or unintentionally.

I don't want to get off on the Rex tangent.

I wasn't getting off on any tangent. The point is simple: Mediocrity is mediocrity. It gets you nowhere meaningful.

Edited by JohnC

The Jets are so awesome that they crapped the bed against the inferior and dysfunctional Bills twice, the second time with the playoffs on the line. Yep, I can see why anyone would think that team is good.

Meanwhile how on earth is this thread approaching 50 pages?

The Jets are so awesome that they crapped the bed against the inferior and dysfunctional Bills twice, the second time with the playoffs on the line. Yep, I can see why anyone would think that team is good.

Meanwhile how on earth is this thread approaching 50 pages?

By people who question the thread responding to the thread. It's called arithmetic. When you respond the numbers go up.

If you don't like the topic and how others are responding then don't respond to it. There are other threads to respond to. Simple solution.

I'm not trying to be stubborn and resistant to your point of view but I don't understand what you are getting at. My basic point in this thread centers around Fitz's talent. When the discussion veered toward how Nix dealt with Fitz I have no problem with him letting Fitz go because he wouldn't take a cut despite taking a cap hit. The criticism that I have against Nix and the organization has little to do with the marginally talented Fitz but with the organization's lack of aggressiveness in pursuing a legitimate franchise qb. That applies before Fitz arrived on the scene, while he was on the scene and after he left the scene.

My focus centers on the issue of talent for the most important position on the field and the historical lack of urgency in addressing that position. That's where I am coming from. If you are driving on a different road then that's okay. Taking different routes doesn't necessarily mean that you still can't get to the same destination, intentionally or unintentionally.

I don't want to get off on the Rex tangent.

I wasn't getting off on any tangent. The point is simple: Mediocrity is mediocrity. It gets you nowhere meaningful.

The Broncos had far worse than mediocre at QB and won a SB.

I have actually found this thread to be pretty interesting... It's one of the biggest NFL stories of the summer and a division rival, plus our former starting QB. The standoff is Fascinating imho.

Are you suggesting that this is the Alamo thread? I'm running out of ammo and I am feeling besieged. :D

The Broncos had far worse than mediocre at QB and won a SB.

The Jets lost twice to a Rex coached team last year. The Jets clearly didn't conclude the season with a successful flourish. Not a good analogy. What was the problem? Fitz was Fitz. The central issue really isn't Fitz. Most of us know how he ranks as a qb. The central issue is what is his monetary value. That's the sticking point.

Edited by JohnC

Are you suggesting that this is the Alamo thread? I'm running out of ammo and I am feeling besieged. :D

The Jets lost twice to a Rex coached team last year. The Jets clearly didn't conclude the season with a successful flourish. Not a good analogy. What was the problem? Fitz was Fitz. The central issue really isn't Fitz. Most of us know how he ranks as a qb. The central issue is what is his monetary value. That's the sticking point.

What was Peyton's monetary value last season? What was he paid? What did he do on that team?

There's your sticking point.

Edited by FireChan

We didn't veer towards "how Nix dealt with Fitz". You introduced what in your view is Nix's correct low valuation (and release) of Fitz as justification for what you view as the Jet's correct low valuation of Fitz. I object.

The point is simple: you can't use Nix's valuation to justify the Jets valuation unless you believe that Nix, overall, showed good talent evaluation and cap management at the QB position. That would be cherry-picking one data spot to make your point, not appropriate unless you accept the whole bowl of cherries as good fruit.

Evaluation of Nix's management of the QB position includes his draft choices (or lack of choices) towards the position, the QB talent he brought in, and his cap management at the position. The cap hit is only one part - who he brought in to replace Fitz and their impact on the cap vs impact on the field is another part. I've pointed this out repeatedly yet you keep reiterating "cap hit" as though that's the sum total of the picture or at least the most important part. It isn't either.

It seems to me that overall you don't like Nix's management of the QB position. Therefore, my point is you can't use Nix publically-stated low valuation of Fitz as justification for the Jets stance and its implied valuation.

But you'll be remembered :D

Edited by Hopeful

We didn't veer towards "how Nix dealt with Fitz". You introduced what in your view is Nix's correct low valuation (and release) of Fitz as justification for what you view as the Jet's correct low valuation of Fitz. I object.

The point is simple: you can't use Nix's valuation to justify the Jets valuation unless you believe that Nix, overall, showed good talent evaluation and cap management at the QB position. That would be cherry-picking one data spot to make your point, not appropriate unless you accept the whole bowl of cherries as good fruit.

Your response is perplexing. If you are offering me a bowl of cherries that doesn't mean that I have to eat all the cherries. I'll select the cherries I want to select and decline the cherries I don't want to eat. Nothing odd or rude about that.

Your basic point is that because Nix hasn't always exhibited good judgment on many matters that it is invalid for me to accept his judgment on this particular Fitz matter. That is a perplexing position to take. There is nothing odd about Nix's view that Fitz was a mediocre qb who needed to take a pay cut in order to have a better balance between pay and performance. The less than enthusiastic view that Nix had on Fitz is the same view that every team in the league had on him, including the numerous teams he played for. I'm certainly not going to criticize the stolid GM for making a common sense judgment that was obvious to all. .

Evaluation of Nix's management of the QB position includes his draft choices (or lack of choices) towards the position, the QB talent he brought in, and his cap management at the position. The cap hit is only one part - who he brought in to replace Fitz and their impact on the cap vs impact on the field is another part. I've pointed this out repeatedly yet you keep reiterating "cap hit" as though that's the sum total of the picture or at least the most important part. It isn't either.

The cap hit that Nix took is a miniscule matter for me. You are magnifying a point that is very insignificant that borders on irrelevancy. Don't be so fixated on such a triviality.

It seems to me that overall you don't like Nix's management of the QB position. Therefore, my point is you can't use Nix publically-stated low valuation of Fitz as justification for the Jets stance and its implied valuation.

Without a doubt I didn't like Nix/Whaley's management of the qb position. It lacked urgency. The priority for him and Whaley from the start should have been to more aggressively address that position. One of the primary reasons the Bills have been a second-rate organization is that they haven't adequately staffed that position. However, just because Nix failed in that critical endeavor and in many other issues doesn't mean that his judgment on Fitz should be disqualified. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Being wrong on many issues doesn't mean that you are wrong on all issues, and especially on this particular issue regarding a mediocre qb..

Where I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you and others is that you are using Fitz's last year's stats as a reference point. Or another way of saying this is you are cherry-picking stats that don't reflect his unimpressive of body of work for a half dozen teams he played for. You are indicting me for cherry-picking data when you are doing it an a felonious level.

I acknowledge that Fitz had a good statistical year last year. However, the mistake you and others are making is that you are using it for the basis for for his contract stance. What you refuse to do is to broaden the range of stats that convincingly demonstrate over his long career the caliber of qb that Fitz actually is.

But you'll be remembered :D

Sometimes considering the option it is better to be forgotten. :D

...and so it begins

The collateral damage from these negotiations should be interesting.

That sounds bad but really isn't.

Teams like NE, Seattle, Denver and Carolina are the best in the biz and have a reputation of not giving much ground in negotiations.

The Bills used to be pusseez about accomodating disgruntled players with trades or not using a franchise tag and during the Marv/Brandon GM era they vastly overpaid for bad players and people felt that would make them look like a kinder/gentler organization for future prospective free agents.

It just made them look weak and confirmed to prospective free agents WHY they were losers.

The truth is that how most players get treated in negotiations really means nothing.

The real fall-out here is that the Jets team is disheartened about this one particular player because they know they can't win without the kind of play he provided and they are aware that they are very unlikely to get that production from anyone else on the roster.

So basically they feel like the team is sacrificing the season to avoid paying Fitz.

How they have treated everyone else in the past doesn't really matter that's just the NYC media needling the Jets organization.

The attached link is a WGR interview with Joe Caporoso who reports on the Jets. This is a 12 minute segment with the first half talking about Rex and his NY experience. It is not a positive view on his prospects with us. The second half of the interview deals with the Fitz situation in NY. His portrayal is consistent with my take on this issue.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115548558/joe-caporoso-of-turn-on-the-jets-talkhtm s-fitz-rex.

The attached link is a WGR interview with Joe Caporoso who reports on the Jets. This is a 12 minute segment with the first half talking about Rex and his NY experience. It is not a positive view on his prospects with us. The second half of the interview deals with the Fitz situation in NY. His portrayal is consistent with my take on this issue.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115548558/joe-caporoso-of-turn-on-the-jets-talkhtm s-fitz-rex.

Really? I didn't hear him call Fitz "garbage", nor did he mention the Jets bringing in another "mediocrity" to replace him.

Really? I didn't hear him call Fitz "garbage", nor did he mention the Jets bringing in another "mediocrity" to replace him.

The Jets are not budging from their position. Fitz so far has no interest from the market. What does that tell you? Mediocrity is not a high priced commodity.