Titans Trade #1 Overall Pick to the Rams

I get what you are saying completely, and as I said it will take a couple years, I didn't mean they are trying to win now. I just feel like a team like the Rams, with a decent amount of holes still, just lost three picks in the first three rounds this year along with their first next year. Unless they pull of some late round magic, or hit on FA in the next couple years, I feel like even if the QB develops into a good player the team overall will still not have great talent.

If he turns into a top 5 QB, then he may be able to put the team on his back, but who knows how they actually end up. So like I said, I agree with you that the trade isn't about winning now, but they still set themselves back when it comes to having an all around roster. Also, their division won't make anything easier.

It is a high reward/High Risk move. It either pays off , or puts the franchise in a hole for the next 10. Brass ones I say....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Rams were worried about Cleveland taking Goff, who is said to be Hue Jackson's preference, and made the move. I think Goff is going #1 and the Browns are now seriously looking for a trade partner themselves to get out of the #2 spot.

Could be. There's not any point in the Browns doing anything until the Rams' choice is known. They really can't do anything. I suspect that the Rams will announce only after they get a contract worked out so they can play them both off of each other. Probably a day or so before the draft.

Edited: Nevermind about the Rams playing the QBs off of each other. They can't do that as the QBs have the same agent.

Edited by BarleyNY

Could be. There's not any point in the Browns doing anything until the Rams' choice is known. They really can't do anything. I suspect that the Rams will announce only after they get a contract worked out so they can play them both off of each other. Probably a day or so before the draft.

Contracts aren't done in that manner anymore since they have gone to the slotting system. Maybe some offset language

Nah--there's no need to play them off of each other. The rookie wage scale pretty much sets in stone how much each guy is going to get, and all 1st round picks are getting guaranteed contracts anyway...the only negotiating factor left is offset language, which only becomes an issue if you think you may cut a guy before his contract is up (if you're trading up for the #1 pick, you're not going to try to negotiate offset language--you better not be expecting to cut the guy).

Contracts aren't done in that manner anymore since they have gone to the slotting system. Maybe some offset language

That's just it. They'll want to get favorable offset language, which is still a big deal for that high of a pick. Just getting offsets for the last season of the contract is a big deal. Plus then they'll know he'll be in on time.

Edited by BarleyNY

This makes a ton of sense for the Rams. They've had very talented rosters for years but were held back by one thing and one thing only: dreadful quarterbacking. If that's what has been holding you back for nigh on a decade, then this is a move you have to make if you truly believe that Wentz or Goff is going to be a star.

Edited by dave mcbride

so the rams had the worst offense in the league last year and the #23 defense. Goff better be able to sling it if they want success otherwise that team is gonna struggle

The Rams defense, which is very talented, was 7th overall last year using a much more sophisticated ranking system instead of just raw points. They were 9th in 2014. They're good, basically.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Edited by dave mcbride

Boy, this is one of those WTF moments, gee.. If it works out for LA, then great move, but boy if it doesn't talk about setting you back.. Either way, the Titans will win this trade regardless of what Wentz does. Titans are going to be a tough out this year.

Tim-

Isn't there some superhuman defensive player that was supposed to go top 1-2 in the draft?

I'm not up on college football but I thought I heard something about a guy with magic powers or something.

Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack have been touted as the best 2 players in the draft.