Titans Trade #1 Overall Pick to the Rams

Maybe they happen to think that the kid from California is the better player? Either way for them to unload most of their best picks in 2 drafts for a player they must really believe in him. I agree that you can't make it a factor in who you pick but maybe it just lined up that way for them.

If that's the case, then him being a California native only enhances the situation in favor of selecting him. Best player had better be the #1 factor given the heavy cost they paid to get the pick.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they give up two firsts to get him, or swap firsts and give one?

The debate never dies.

Yes. they did exactly that.

Cmon man, it's totally 3 picks. Gave up the 15th pick and their pick next year PLUS the pick to select the player.

Yes this is exactly what happened

Wasn't it 4 ones for Sammy?

This was just a rumor.

But it was almost exactly that.

That wasn't an option. The evidence is inconclusive.

#SwapfirstsandthrowinanextraonetilIdieclub.

This conclusion is quite correct. and wrong.

I think this is one of the most fun trades i have seen in years !

fisher is an idiot who should not have a job. and whoever they pick is going to get killed.

But it had to be done.

The Drama that IS the NFL.

I sure hope this gets the phones ringing. could be kinda fun watching the draft unfold as this move really does affect everyone downstream

!!

Interesting

@tonypauline

NY Jets made a serious offer to Tennessee Titans for the first pick...should have more in a little bit...

In a perfect world, they up the ante, make the trade.....then pick the wrong guy.

I think this is a totally dumb deal by the Rams. Right up there with the Herschel Walker, Ricky Williams, RGIII trades. Who is the dominant player to pick at number one? Who is the Oliver Luck? The guy from Cal? The North Dakota kid?

Worth 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 2 3rd rounders? And they get a 4th and 6th. The Rams are the worst drafting team I've ever seen. This is hilarious. I'm glad they left St. Louis.

The only regret I have is that the Bills are not coming to town next year. They're going to LA.

i can't believe they would give up that much for Wentz. I am no scout but I don't think he's worth anything more than bottom of the 1st round grade. And I only say bottom of 1st because he's really a 2nd round talent but combining positional value with the ability to get the 5th year option for a QB is valuable.

I agree with this. That many picks for a guy that may or may not become elite is just crazy stupid. Andrew Luck would deserve that many picks, but not Wentz or Goff. Just my opinion.

No way I'd make the decision between the two on that basis. It would be asking for trouble with the potential of drafting the lesser player and would be potential suicide IMO. They cannot afford to screw this up.

I agree with this. Can't see how you'd put all this pressure in LA on a kid from North Dakota.

Maybe they happen to think that the kid from California is the better player? Either way for them to unload most of their best picks in 2 drafts for a player they must really believe in him. I agree that you can't make it a factor in who you pick but maybe it just lined up that way for them.

If that's the case, then him being a California native only enhances the situation in favor of selecting him. Best player had better be the #1 factor given the heavy cost they paid to get the pick.

I think they are also counting revenue (tickets, suites, advertising, jerseys, etc) as part of evaluation; if they thought Dakota's Wentz was that much better (Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf better) they would not be depending on so much on him helping revenue as much and would be looking to deal with Browns taking whatever QB was available. Maybe it colored their view but they know LA Rams have lost support before so are trying to make sure when new stadium opens the place is packed and every dollar they possibly can get will be flowing into coffers.

I agree with this. That many picks for a guy that may or may not become elite is just crazy stupid. Andrew Luck would deserve that many picks, but not Wentz or Goff. Just my opinion.

Only the Rams could afford that many picks to move up and gamble. They received the big picks for the RG3 trade.

Washington was very lucky to also draft Cousins, Titans are all set for the future on this trade down.

Only the Rams could afford that many picks to move up and gamble. They received the big picks for the RG3 trade.

Washington was very lucky to also draft Cousins, Titans are all set for the future on this trade down.

It's not like the Rams had a dominant defense last year (23rd) or a top offensive line (ranked 27th) so mortgaging their future like that on a "maybe" QB that will need a few years to develop looks more than idiotic to me.

Andrew Luck was a can't miss type of player and neither Wentz or Goff fit that bill IMO, as both aren't even ranked as the number one pick in any rankings I've seen . At 7-9 last year the Rams were more than just a QB away from being a top team and on that note I think they fire HC Jeff Fisher and GM very soon.

And yeah, the Titans could really inject a boatload of talent in their team the next two years. Provided of course they can properly evaluate that talent.

I'm not sure why in the early pages people thought a good deal for the Rams. Great for the Titans as they already have their QB. They easily have with a good scouting office 6-8 starters over the next two years. They also have lots of negotiating room to deal some pics for an experienced player. They have tons of space so can you imagine with the Jets get desperate to move from 20 to 15, the Titans could get an elite player like Wilkerson. That guys has years of playing in him, and he will be successful anywhere.

The Rams I could understand if it were Luck. He was a slam dunk so probably worth it if you have an O-Line, WR, great RB, and a fantastic defense. Neither of the top 2 are slam dunk QB's.

This begs of Kronkie trying to make money and filling the seats in his new venue with this deal. This deal though can hurt them for several years.

The Rams have a pretty darn talented roster with a bunch of elite-level players. Let's not lose sight of this. They also have an excellent top-10 defense (using football outsiders' metric), and they may well have the most talented RB in the league.

The Rams have a pretty darn talented roster with a bunch of elite-level players. Let's not lose sight of this. They also have an excellent top-10 defense (using football outsiders' metric), and they may well have the most talented RB in the league.

The Rams roster isn't as bad as its offensive (last) and defensive (lower middle) rankings, but it isn't as good as you're making it out to be either. They've got some good, young talent - which would be nice to have on the Browns someday. The Rams have a good start on their defense, but their offense is a long way off.