I think Bills are planning a move up in the draft

Maybe not first round but somewhere. They have signed a bunch of veteran backups and special teams guys. They have extra picks. If they use them all there will be late round draft picks that will be at risk of not making the team because of the vets they just signed.

I think they move up in second round and take a WR or QB and then move up again and get the FSU kicker in the third.

Other scenario is they give picks away this year for higher picks next year.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan of trading up in the draft, but if ever there was a shot at a poke-n-hope I'd trade up, in Watkins type fashion, for Goff.

I'm not one that buys into the notion Whaley and/or Wrecks will be gone after this season if they don't make the playoffs, so who knows what's really driving things, but if that's true, that they're history if we don't make the playoffs, they'll have to make any inroad via offense.

Not that a rookie QB is going to be all that, but if he offers enough hope after a rookie season then it may cause Pegs to yield a stay of execution for them.

Might not be bad for the team either since Whaley's been horrid at 3rd and later picks anyway in six seasons.

Otherwise, moving up but not into the 1st isn't going to do anything for us. I'd expect them to go WR in round 1 where some good ones will be available at 19th.

If it is true that Whaley and Wrecks are on a very short one-season leash, then trading down for them would be a mistake. Also, with who-knows-who as the next coach, it doesn't necessarily even make any long-term sense. So for that reason, on a one-time basis, I'd be among those suggesting that at trade up to land Goff would be a good move.

Edited by TaskersGhost

We saw last year that the Bills have no problem cutting their late round draft picks.

To that point, that may support trading those later round picks for a guy they feel confident would make the team in the mid rounds

Is there anyone in the beginning of the draft that DW is enamored with?

And how would we know?

DW's HC complained about thin depth. Clearly DW has taken the issue to heart this offseason but I don't think the project is complete.

It's pure speculation, but I don't think Whaley will want to give up picks to move up in the draft.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Depends on the Bills board and who falls in the draft.

I think there will be a little struggle between the Rex and Whaley on draft philosophy. Rex's incentive is to win immediately or he and his brother may never coach again in the NFL, and Whaley has to think about the big picture and more long term implications of the draft.

This is probably THE most uncertain draft I've seen. No clear cut #1 pick, and even the top 5 or 10 is a gray area.

Not a big fan of trading up in the draft, but if ever there was a shot at a poke-n-hope I'd trade up, in Watkins type fashion, for Goff.

I'm not one that buys into the notion Whaley and/or Wrecks will be gone after this season if they don't make the playoffs, so who knows what's really driving things, but if that's true, that they're history if we don't make the playoffs, they'll have to make any inroad via offense.

Not that a rookie QB is going to be all that, but if he offers enough hope after a rookie season then it may cause Pegs to yield a stay of execution for them.

Might not be bad for the team either since Whaley's been horrid at 3rd and later picks anyway in six seasons.

Otherwise, moving up but not into the 1st isn't going to do anything for us. I'd expect them to go WR in round 1 where some good ones will be available at 19th.

If it is true that Whaley and Wrecks are on a very short one-season leash, then trading down for them would be a mistake. Also, with who-knows-who as the next coach, it doesn't necessarily even make any long-term sense. So for that reason, on a one-time basis, I'd be among those suggesting that at trade up to land Goff would be a good move.

Whoa! John Miller and Karlos Williams last year. Preston Brown and Seantrel Henderson the year before. I'd say that's pretty good once Nix left the building. 40% hit rate on 3rd and later picks seems like its knocking it out of the park to me.

I think they are planning for a number of scenarios depending on how the draft falls. There is no reason to think they would not trade up, or down, in certain scenarios if they felt it was the right move at the time.

Simply put this is what I believe as well. This just makes so much more sense than to have limited approach.

fill the gaps - and if you get good offers - move down and get picks for the future. If you like a QB and he falls - take him. Whaley has been a pretty solid talent evaluator, but he's wasted tons of picks too.

A solid talent evaluator who wastes tons of picks? :blink:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Trading up doesn't make much sense to me unless they're jumping into the top five.

Agreed, but if they trade up with the Titans to grab Goff, who I think can be gotten for a swap of this year's firsts plus next year's since right now next year's is looking pretty choice to the objective football world, and maybe another pick or two, it would be a good thing.

We have to look at history here. Whaley's done almost nothing with picks from the 3rd round and lower. Almost all complete washouts and very limited role players at best. Granted, depends upon one's assessment, but Karlos Williams had two good games, both in Florida where he played but otherwise couldn't stay on the field and wasn't good in most other games. Preston Brown is a low-end starter tops but hardly solid as a starter. Besides Bradham, who's no longer with the team, in the six Drafts that Whaley's been in charge of there isn't one other notable pick. Picks 5-7 have all been a complete washout.

Our 2nds have been average at best, producing players like Darby and Glenn as being very good, Aaron Williams and Woods as being OK, and Kouandjio and Troop as washouts. Then there's Alonso who already has injury issues like Watkins does.

For the five 1st's we've had, Spiller and Manuel were busts, again, something that many here argued against for years re: Spiller. Gilmore and Dareus were seemingly solid picks although neither earth-shattering given that they were 10th and 3rd overall. The trade to land Watkins was silly and a major grasp as Whaley was desperately acting purely in his own interests and not the team's by attempting to salvage his GM career prior to knowing the outcome of the post-Wilson era.

As such, my expectations for this Draft are the same, absolutely nothing of value in rounds 3-7 and one good player in either round 1 or 2, maybe a marginal type starting player in the other of those two picks.

So for me, given our current leadership situation, I would not at all complain if they traded up with Tennessee to get Goff, but Goff only. No other QB in this draft besides Wentz is worth taking prior to round 3, not one.

I'd love to have Goff and IMO he would provide hope for the future. He likely wouldn't do much for us this season although who knows, in this passing fostered league he might. Hopefully we'd still have our 2nd and could take a WR this year.

But we're not going to cut it on D this season, so we have to make any inroads via offense. Right now we don't have the horses in the passing game to do that in terms of receivers. Watkins is good but not great and massively inconsistent, more so than most of the top receivers in his draft class. Most of his good games are not against the better teams on our schedule. Woods is a 2/3 WR tops. Harvin's too neurotic and inconsistent and given his PMS-like disposition he's entirely unreliable. Clay, ... well, we'll see.

If Taylor backsteps, like RGIII, and now that there's a bit of film on him and given that he played better in the first half than the second last year, then we'll need a QB, both now and for the future. So why not.

Either way, this isn't to get into a discussion as to the 2nd-rounders or 1st-rounders as opinions will vary, but rather to state the obvious that on Whaley's 6-year watch in the role of draft organizer we've done hardly anything with our picks from the 3rd on out,

hopefully with Cleveland

we already snookered them with the Sammy deal.

could you imagine the buzz if we picked the first qb off the board

this forum would explode

For once, and given the circumstances of yet another draft that produces only 1-2 players, I would be quite content.

While some seem to be arguing against it, given the support for that ridiculous Watkins trade, I have to think that if we made a similar trade to land Goff, it should go over at least as well. Wouldn't you think?

For fun, I took a look at this draft value chart: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I noticed that our first round pick (pick 19) is essentially equal to Denver's first (pick 31) and second (pick 63) picks.

If we did something like that, we would have picks 31, 49, and 63 (in addition to our other picks).

Edited by Peter