The Bills took Paxton Lynch to dinner last night.

I'm not much into college football but wouldn't the Bills have to move up in the draft to have a realistic shot of drafting him? This article tends to insinuate that if Lynch doesn't get selected in the first several picks then he might slide a bit but from what I have been reading lately Lynch should be long gone by the time the Bills pick at #19. Some insight from some draft gurus would be much appreciated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/report-bills-met-with-paxton-lynch-tuesday-night/

I assume you go healthy.

You don't want your potential QB going for the fried seafood platter with extra tartar sauce and a couple beers.

Did they go to Tempo or Mighty Taco?

They ordered wings, obviously, to see if he uses ranch or blue cheese. If he chose correctly, they know what to do, especially considering TT's decision-making where this is concerned. That's not coachable IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Can't decide how to feel about this. I know he's a little raw and they have needs elsewhere but if he's there at #19, I could see them saying "Well here's a cost controlled QB for 5 years," letting Lynch learn for the year and letting Tyrod cash in elsewhere after 2016.

It would be one way to.guarantee they can lock up Gilmore and Glenn. Pay your rookie QB a couple of million instead of paying Tyrod $20 million and then load up the team everywhere else until the QB's payday is due.

Edited by JM57

From what I can tell so far is that the Browns, 49'ers, Eagles, Rams and possibly the Cowboys are llooking at QBs and they all pick before us, I'm not even thinking of the teams picking behind us who may be interested in QBs. I would think that if the Bills were really interested in Lynch then they would have to be considering of trading up to the #5 (Jacksonville) or #6 (Baltimore) spot to be able to secure the rights to Lynch or any of the other 2 top QB prospects.

It kills 2 birds with one stone. They get to interview a QB who they have a shot at at 19th overall AND send a message to TT/his agent that they're not averse to taking a QB at 19th overall. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they didn't take kindly to his agent's words, which went beyond just typical agent-speak.

Edited by Doc

Can't see Bills taking QB with their 1st round pick. Could definitely see us trading out of #19 if Lynch is still available.

That would probably be the only way anyone would look to trade for 19.

The question is what we'd get for it. Anyone who picks in the low 20's would have a good chance of riding it out and anyone in the mid rounds would have used up their pick.

Can't decide how to feel about this. I know he's a little raw and they have needs elsewhere but if he's there at #19, I could see them saying "Well here's a cost controlled QB for 5 years," letting Lynch learn for the year and letting Tyrod cash in elsewhere after 2016.

It would be one way to.guarantee they can lock up Gilmore and Glenn. Pay your rookie QB a couple of million instead of paying Tyrod $20 million and then load up the team everywhere else until the QB's payday is due.

IMO that's the sort of gamble you can't afford to take at the QB position. If Tyrod plays well enough to "cash in" it means that he had a decent season. In that case you'd be taking too big of a risk letting a guy go who has proven himself in favor of an unknown. The only way you should draft a guy like Lynch is if the team isn't sold on Tyrod's ability. You can't draft Lynch if you believe in Tyrod with the intention to let Tyrod walk and see what Lynch can do in 2017. We've been searching for a QB for too long to simply let a guy walk over money. The unfortunate reality of today's NFL is that we'll have to cut costs at other positions to keep Tyrod if he proves himself this season. Even if Tyrod is simply average this season there is nothing to prove that Lynch would even be that in 2017. You'd be going with a complete unknown who could turn out to be Jim Kelly or maybe JP Losman. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

That would probably be the only way anyone would look to trade for 19.

The question is what we'd get for it. Anyone who picks in the low 20's would have a good chance of riding it out and anyone in the mid rounds would have used up their pick.

Not at all. The Jets pick right behind us and currently only have Geno on the roster. I think the Bills pick is where people will have to go to get a qb of their choice. If Fitz doesn't come back before the draft I can see them going QB in the first. That means other teams will have to jump up over. I could see Denver making the leap and it would cost them their second round pick. I would trade 19 for 31 and 63. Then there is Cle, Dallas, SD, and SF that could potentially want to come back into the 1st. Cleveland specifically and that would cost them their 2,3, and 6. I would try to push for something that would give us their first next year though.

IMO that's the sort of gamble you can't afford to take at the QB position. If Tyrod plays well enough to "cash in" it means that he had a decent season. In that case you'd be taking too big of a risk letting a guy go who has proven himself in favor of an unknown. The only way you should draft a guy like Lynch is if the team isn't sold on Tyrod's ability. You can't draft Lynch if you believe in Tyrod with the intention to let Tyrod walk and see what Lynch can do in 2017. We've been searching for a QB for too long to simply let a guy walk over money. The unfortunate reality of today's NFL is that we'll have to cut costs at other positions to keep Tyrod if he proves himself this season. Even if Tyrod is simply average this season there is nothing to prove that Lynch would even be that in 2017. You'd be going with a complete unknown who could turn out to be Jim Kelly or maybe JP Losman.

Could still even tag and over the next two years I'd bet our backup qb throws 100+ passes to give you an idea of your two options.

If they take a qb at 19 though it would seem to be a strong message that they were doing a lot to protect/hide TT last year and aren't sure about his presnap reads, seeing the middle of the field, going through progressions etc.... I think they like him but we don't know exactly what they think

Not at all. The Jets pick right behind us and currently only have Geno on the roster. I think the Bills pick is where people will have to go to get a qb of their choice. If Fitz doesn't come back before the draft I can see them going QB in the first. That means other teams will have to jump up over. I could see Denver making the leap and it would cost them their second round pick. I would trade 19 for 31 and 63. Then there is Cle, Dallas, SD, and SF that could potentially want to come back into the 1st. Cleveland specifically and that would cost them their 2,3, and 6. I would try to push for something that would give us their first next year though.

I have been looking at this possibility too, because as mentioned QB is The position some team will trade up for!

I think you have covered the potential suitors. Good post : )

Could still even tag and over the next two years I'd bet our backup qb throws 100+ passes to give you an idea of your two options.

If they take a qb at 19 though it would seem to be a strong message that they were doing a lot to protect/hide TT last year and aren't sure about his presnap reads, seeing the middle of the field, going through progressions etc.... I think they like him but we don't know exactly what they think

Honestly is a mystery from a Fans perspective. Lets hope it was based upon patience and proper development. Not his deficiencies

Honestly is a mystery from a Fans perspective. Lets hope it was based upon patience and proper development. Not his deficiencies

i think the most interesting piece we could see from a reporter this offseason is something pressing TT, or GR or Rex or.... for how much they put on TTs plate, and how it evolved through the year. I remember some frustrating moments where we ran right into blitzes due to an inability to audible - did that free up some? The lack of letting him call his own plays in the hurry up was a concern as an outsider too. definitely a few things that would be really interesting to know more about what was going on behind the curtain.

i think we are in a good spot - i think they like him, but i wont consider myself blindsided if a curveball comes in the coming 12 months. TT could go any which way from here it seems.

I tried giving Paxton Lynch another look just now--and I really tried to find things that I like.

Here's the best that I can come up with:

- He's consistent with getting the ball out quickly

- He's a very good athlete for his size, and won't hesitate to take off with the football when needed

- He's tough as nails and willing to stand in and take a hit

Practically everything else about his game drives me nuts.

i think the most interesting piece we could see from a reporter this offseason is something pressing TT, or GR or Rex or.... for how much they put on TTs plate, and how it evolved through the year. I remember some frustrating moments where we ran right into blitzes due to an inability to audible - did that free up some? The lack of letting him call his own plays in the hurry up was a concern as an outsider too. definitely a few things that would be really interesting to know more about what was going on behind the curtain.

i think we are in a good spot - i think they like him, but i wont consider myself blindsided if a curveball comes in the coming 12 months. TT could go any which way from here it seems.

As i am too often more hopeful than logical, i thought i saw progression with his ability to scan the field. i could see his eyes moving as he went through his checks. He gained a bit more pocket patience and by the time he was hitting Salas i thought he had relaxed a bit.

But all your points are well taken.