Tyler Dunne Asks: Was the Watkins Trade Worth It?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think it's a closer question than many of you. But regardless, they drafted Sammy for a coach who ran a simple "two yards and a cloud of dust, then punt" offense, who didn't want him. And then they hired an offensive coordinator who doesn't feature his receivers. You can't look at the pick/trade in a vacuum. What's the long-term strategy? I'm still not sure...

agreed. Sammy is kind of wasted in a Rex Ryan ground pound / Greg Roman offense, but I'm glad we have him. Just imagine what a highlight reel he would already be if he was with Bruce Arians in Az. for example. . he won't resign with the Bills unless something dramatic happens at the QB position and Roman's approach evolves further... conservative offense plus great defense can win for sure, I just don't think you need a sammy watkins to do that strategy , which is what Rex and Roman are pushing --- I predict Sammy is one contract and done with the Bills , hard to imagine it playing out any other way. the kid is a generational talent at WR with a ground/pound team with average QB play in a pass favoring league full of pass oriented teams. I don't reasonably see him staying... he will get a $15m/yr from some passing team and take it

i almost don't want him to stay in hopes he gets with a pass oriented offense so I can really see his full potential play out... just sayin'... so many great talents have been wasted in schemes that don't let them play

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

conservative offense plus great defense can win for sure, I just don't think you need a sammy watkins to do that strategy

I don't agree actually. I think it is often the great passing offenses that don't need special receivers and just 3 or 4 good ones will do because of the way they are spreading the ball around.

A team that is going to be balanced on offense has a much greater need for a feature wide receiver to open things up for them in the run game and to see most of that team's targets and defeat double coverage.

The second half of last season Sammy was all of that and more.

I still think it's a closer question than many of you. But regardless, they drafted Sammy for a coach who ran a simple "two yards and a cloud of dust, then punt" offense, who didn't want him. And then they hired an offensive coordinator who doesn't feature his receivers. You can't look at the pick/trade in a vacuum. What's the long-term strategy? I'm still not sure...

I agree 100%. Similar situation with the defense too. There is little to no coherence to the talent and coaching staffs Whaley (and nix before him) have assembled. Putting together a winning team involves a lot more than identifying individually talented players.

The Browns said it wasn't worth it.

Ceooj6GUUAALtCj.jpg

Giants are glad the Bills made the deal.

I agree 100%. Similar situation with the defense too. There is little to no coherence to the talent and coaching staffs Whaley (and nix before him) have assembled. Putting together a winning team involves a lot more than identifying individually talented players.

Gilmore and Darby said. :lol: :lol:

It's still very early, but currently it looks like last years draft class was a bit of a dud, especially outside of the top 10. Marcus Peters went #18, right before our pick, Lockett made the Pro Bowl as a returner, but very few if any guys stand out between 19 and our pick in the 2nd round that I'd rather have over Darby.

ODB is obviously the elephant in the room on this question, unavoidable to discuss in review, but Watkins for Justin Gilbert / Cam Erving might go down as one of the most lopsided draft deals in recent history.

In my opinion kind of a stupid question at this point. It's been 2 seasons, the guy is 22 right now -has played with Kyle Orton and a first year starter in Tyrod. This trade wasn't just about 2014-2015, he's gonna be unstoppable.

giants are 12-22 last 2 seasons with the same qb throwing it 1229 times

bills are 17-15 last 2 seasons with three starting qb's throwing it 1044 times

It helps having a HOF QB.

Watkins would put up identitcal numbers as OBJ if he was with the Giants, IMO.

I would find it astonishing if Sammy didn't put up better numbers if he were in Beckham's place--he's done more with fewer targets from what appears to be a lesser QB.

it's over picks have been paid the Bills have a true #1. The chatter if he was worth it, observations Beckham so far is better aside from being a head case. Sammy will prove in time to be the guy.

IMO the trade that was not worth it is shady. Not the trade itself, the insane extension and crazy money they threw at him to make him feel wanted. Then he kisses the eagle at mid field. Time will tell but his salary is obstructive to the cap when things like depth and even some starters Are missing. Since this year cap hell exsists. bad extension. next years cap situation is nice but this year more than one good depth player was let go that with a well managed budget would still be with the team.

Giants were probably getting Beckham either way. The Bills were taking Ebron. Maybe the Lions would have taken Beckham but otherwise he probably would still be with the Giants.

Sammy is a total stud.

I think he is going to be explosive this season.

Agreed. His production in our system has been stellar. On a more pass heavy team, his numbers would be even bigger. We're just scratching the surface with him. Got to continue to get him more touches.

A BUBBLE OR TUNNEL SCREEN ONCE IN A WHILE PLEASE??

Saying the move was worth it, because if we didn't do it we'd draft bums, is an interesting argument.

I said that according to most- not according to me- we would've drafted Ebron.

I don't care who we would have drafted; Sammy Watkins is worth a 9th and a 20th pick. Any elite receiver is.

Yes it was worth it.

I've been re-reading and digesting this article for 24 hours now and still have no idea what point Lofton was trying to make with that restaurant analogy.... :huh::blink:

It makes sense to me because we have had just appetizers in Sammy's first two seasons with the main course yet to be served that will be his full talents on display. The expensive restaurant is the cost involved 1st and fourth draft choices to move up.

He has a 5 year contract if Buffalo wants to rightfully exercise the 5th year of the contract.

If only 57%, or whatever that stat is, of 1st rid picks hitting then using two 1st rd picks to insure that we get a bonafide star makes it a bit more palatable for me. Of course one cannot ignore that we also threw in a 4 th rder but I'll chalk that up to being Buffalo just being, well, just Buffalo being Buffalo. When it's all said and done I'm very happy that we made the trade now, especially that Sammy is from Fort Myers (239 baby!) and I just got done living there for the last 21+ years, it only made it sweeter.

Agreed, and that five year contract could easily become more with tags if they got into a pickle. It would be a monumental disaster if he walks after his rookie deal, and that's something the front office probably couldn't stomach. The optics alone, considering the trade to get him, would look too bad -- even if Whaley is no longer the GM by that point.

Sammy's a star in the NFL and you need star players to win consistently. That's why they paid what they did to get him and that's why I'll be stunned if he doesn't play at least two contracts in Buffalo. He'll only be 23 when camp starts... it's mind bottling to think what he's capable of as he gets more of his man-muscles.

I would find it astonishing if Sammy didn't put up better numbers if he were in Beckham's place--he's done more with fewer targets from what appears to be a lesser QB.

Agree as well. Despite the hype around OBJ, he's not as good as Sammy. He's quicker, maybe, but Sammy's bigger, stronger, faster, has better hands and runs better routes. Doesn't mean OBJ is a scrub, he's not. But even though some on here wanted to give him a gold jacket after one catch, he showed some warts in '15 that could fester if he doesn't work his ass off to get better.

I fully expect Sammy to have a better year statistically than OBJ in '16... unless the Giants get Treadwell in the draft. Maybe even then.

Probably agree.

Sammy's said a few things here and there that leaves you scratching your head, but as some posters already pointed out he became a leader on offense in the 2nd half of the year and really impressed. OBJ is an ass clown. I like the trade.

He said, give me the ball. Let me show how good I can be.

Then he backed it up