The Bills bring DL Vernon Butler in for a visit.

So having TWO extremely versatile DLinemen is something you think is particularly bad? :unsure:

If they are looking at them as NT? Yes. Because we have needs at other places to waste a first round pick on a position we already have a 15 mil guy at.

If they are looking at them as NT? Yes. Because we have needs at other places to waste a first round pick on a position we already have a 15 mil guy at.

i think he would be the eventual replacement for Kyle at DT, and play in a rotation while he's still here. Every NT Rex has ever had has been a UDFA or late round pick. We signed one like that last year (Barnes) and could draft one later this year. I don't see Butler as a NT. Edited by YoloinOhio

From the article, "He would give Buffalo a versatile lineman who can play anywhere from nose tackle to defensive end (similar to the way Marcell Dareus can be used), a player who can stop the run, is developing his pass rush, and can swat down passes."

Not sure Rex is seriously considering Marcell at NT.

From the article, "He would give Buffalo a versatile lineman who can play anywhere from nose tackle to defensive end (similar to the way Marcell Dareus can be used), a player who can stop the run, is developing his pass rush, and can swat down passes."

Not sure Rex is seriously considering Marcell at NT.

That's the thing about this whole switch that bugs me. I don't claim to really understand the perfect players fit for a 3-4 or 4-3. I know that Dareus and Kyle are DT's in a 3-4 and you want a big, space eating NT for a 3-4. I don't think that Dareus is that kind of a NT, but I don't think he's a DE in that scheme either.

Basically, we are taking people who are All-Pros in one position and moving them to a place that diminishes their talents. And now, we have created more positions that we have to fill because of the scheme change when we already have plenty of other positions to fill

That's the thing about this whole switch that bugs me. I don't claim to really understand the perfect players fit for a 3-4 or 4-3. I know that Dareus and Kyle are DT's in a 3-4 and you want a big, space eating NT for a 3-4. I don't think that Dareus is that kind of a NT, but I don't think he's a DE in that scheme either.

Basically, we are taking people who are All-Pros in one position and moving them to a place that diminishes their talents. And now, we have created more positions that we have to fill because of the scheme change when we already have plenty of other positions to fill

as you stated, dareus isn't a DE in that scheme, he's a DT. Ideally you would use a NT in some packages to free him up.

I love how they say he's similar to Marcel Dareus. If that's the comparison, then no thank you. We already have one

really?

The difference is Butler is not making 100 million dollars....you COULD play him at NT (which he is fully capable of) and play Marcel at the next tech over and get the most out of him and his 100 million.

The problem we have right now is Marcel is the best NT we have....you bring in a guy like this and that changes things

i think he would be the eventual replacement for Kyle at DT, and play in a rotation while he's still here. Every NT Rex has ever had has been a UDFA or late round pick. We signed one like that last year (Barnes) and could draft one later this year. I don't see Butler as a NT.

Plus big guys have lots of rotation. If MD is off the field it's another good chance ESPECIALLY if their skills are semi repetitive

Plus big guys have lots of rotation. If MD is off the field it's another good chance ESPECIALLY if their skills are semi repetitive

they re-signed Bryant I think because if that too. They want to keep Dareus fresh and of course with KW getting up there they want to do the same with him. A DT rotation with Dareus, Bryant, KW and Butler would be nice.

So having TWO extremely versatile DLinemen is something you think is particularly bad? :unsure:

can he cover short zone

as you stated, dareus isn't a DE in that scheme, he's a DT. Ideally you would use a NT in some packages to free him up.

and this type of player can be found later.

But an impact player on the line in the first whether he is balanced or a pass rusher is what you take.

Some nice options i hope are at 19.

So hold on, I thought a 3-4 had a NT and 2 DE's on the line. Are you saying that it's a NT and 2 DT's?

I'm honestly confused.

I was a little confused on this too. But some/most of the schemes I've seen on this site have a NT at 0 or 1 tech, a DT at 3 tech, and a DE at 5 tech (Strong side). It is definitely not the symmetrical NT flanked by two DEs.

So hold on, I thought a 3-4 had a NT and 2 DE's on the line. Are you saying that it's a NT and 2 DT's?

I'm honestly confused.

I'll send this one back: how do you define the difference between DT and DE for yourself? I'd bet that you'd get a wealth of nuts and bolts replies if you actually open that door the rest of the way

Dareus needs to be shifted to the 5 tech. and we need a TRUE NT. That would then free Marcel up to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

I'm honestly confused.

thats a base D that they are probably in 30-50 percent of the time and you can call them whatever you want, DT or DE. This defense is more multiple then any one alignment and uses a ton of different packages; they try to create a scenario for the offense where they don't know what's coming. I think I saw a 1-3-7 last year.

Dareus needs to be shifted to the 5 tech. and we need a TRUE NT. That would then free Marcel up to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

I don't think Dareus can be all that effective playing 5 technique. I don't think he has the height, wingspan or speed to play the edge. Kyle Williams is even a bigger misfit. We'll see how they decide to use them.

I don't think Dareus can be all that effective playing 5 technique. I don't think he has the height, wingspan or speed to play the edge. Kyle Williams is even a bigger misfit. We'll see how they decide to use them.

Marcel was a pretty effective 5 @ Alabama when playing the position. 👍

thats a base D that they are probably in 30-50 percent of the time and you can call them whatever you want, DT or DE. This defense is more multiple then any one alignment and uses a ton of different packages; they try to create a scenario for the offense where they don't know what's coming. I think I saw a 1-3-7 last year.

Thanks Yolo, I have no idea what Rex does on D, we are lucky to have you :thumbsup:

Thanks Yolo, I have no idea what Rex does on D, we are lucky to have you :thumbsup:

neither do I, that's about the extent of my knowledge. It's hard to know "what they do" as far as a consistent approach because each game is different. The only thing constant is change with this scheme. But there are certain things that showed up with Ravens, jets and bills that you can point to as what he likes to do. Edited by YoloinOhio