RG3 meeting with Browns (update: signed)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing in the AFC North is going to be brutal for RGlll. The guy is as fragile as the day is long. Without a strong O line, the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers will eat him up. His troubles all started late in the 2012 season when he was leg whipped by Haloti Nata of the Ravens. Never been the same since. It will make for an interesting story to see if he has any game left. But the Browns......Ugh! They have been so bad.

Very realistic assessment in my opinion. That means of course that the Browns will start him week 1.

I wonder if this signals that the Browns may not draft QB att 2? If so I further wonder what it would take for the Bills to move up far enough to grab Wentz? I would certainly be tempted.

Edited by MDFan

Playing in the AFC North is going to be brutal for RGlll. The guy is as fragile as the day is long. Without a strong O line, the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers will eat him up. His troubles all started late in the 2012 season when he was leg whipped by Haloti Nata of the Ravens. Never been the same since. It will make for an interesting story to see if he has any game left. But the Browns......Ugh! They have been so bad.

His troubles started when Mike Shanahan went brain dead and started a seriously injured player who had no business being on the field, shortly before they had to cart him off the field since he became unable to walk.

@DonBanks

At Tues AFC coaches breakfast, Hue Jackson convinced me the Browns were intent on giving RG3 his second NFL chance:

Browns see Griffin as a bridge QB to whomever they draft, be it at No. 2 or 32nd. But a young one, with enough upside to give them options.

An intelligent perspective !

His troubles started when Mike Shanahan went brain dead and started a seriously injured player who had no business being on the field, shortly before they had to cart him off the field since he became unable to walk.

it was horrible hit and then they put him back in. I think it was the Dr who said he could go. just sickening to watch.

Like Joe Theismann gross

I can't believe the analytics spit out RG3.

Hue wanted him. People make too much of analytics and the Browns. It's a fun and easy narrative for the media to put forth, but thinking they're run by a room of nerds crunching numbers isn't accurate.

Hue wanted him. People make too much of analytics and the Browns. It's a fun and easy narrative for the media to put forth, but thinking they're run by a room of nerds crunching numbers isn't accurate.

I think this is a numbers move. They got a reclamation project with a high upside who can also serve as a stop gap while developing Wentz/Goff. I fully expect them to draft a QB with their second pick and it's safe to say taking hope/pride out of the equation teams should be over spending assests on QB's until they find their guy.

Basically ignore the confidence in your coaching staff to return RG3 to form and fill the QB pipeline with the best talent available. Numbers will be favorable towards finding a QB I'm just curious to see what extent they will take it to as they address other positions.

He was amazing before he got injured. No one was talking about how big of a malcontent he was then.

Would like to see him bounce back. Not sure he ever will.

He was a warrior who sacrificed his body to help his team try to win a playoff game. Not the smartest move, but saying he is a malcontent or not a team player might be idiots.

to me, that would be shocking.

especially with the significant losses in the O-line.

Josh McCown is better.

Better? McCown is a known entity as a less than good NFL starter, but RG3 has a bigger upside if Hue get the talent to shine. Low risk move by the Browns. BTW, McCown is reported to be available for trade.

2/15M with 6.75 guaranteed is dirt cheap, even for a back-up. Chase Daniel just got 3/21M with 12M guaranteed.

People are going to soil themselves when they see Tyrod Taylor's contract figures. Brock Osweiler 4/72M with 37M guaranteed. Tannehill 4/77M 45M guaranteed, Alex Smith 4/68M 45M guaranteed. Sam Bradford 2/35M 22M guaranteed.

We still gnash teeth over giving Fitzpatrick 10M dollars as though that was a massive sum of money for an NFL QB. That was low for a non-rookie contract starter THEN. Now? Nick Fricking Foles makes 12M/year. Every other established (non-rookie contract) NFL QB makes 16M+ 10 QBs make more than 20M/yr and Kirk Cousins is 47k away from being #11.

Better? McCown is a known entity as a less than good NFL starter, but RG3 has a bigger upside if Hue get the talent to shine. Low risk move by the Browns. BTW, McCown is reported to be available for trade.

Before anyone asks, he has a 5M cap hit for the next two seasons. 1M of his 2016 salary is guaranteed. After this year he has no guaranteed dollars but has a dead cap hit of 667K due to his original 2M signing bonus. Hate him though we might, EJ's cap hit is only 2.8M and his contract is fully guaranteed so we'd eat the full 2.8M if we released him.

by most QB measurables McCown finished last year in the 15 - 20th ranked range....(mediocre).

the current versions of RG III & EJ might as well be twins........upside that will NEVER materialize.....(way below average).

Edited by papazoid

2/15M with 6.75 guaranteed is dirt cheap, even for a back-up. Chase Daniel just got 3/21M with 12M guaranteed.

People are going to soil themselves when they see Tyrod Taylor's contract figures. Brock Osweiler 4/72M with 37M guaranteed. Tannehill 4/77M 45M guaranteed, Alex Smith 4/68M 45M guaranteed. Sam Bradford 2/35M 22M guaranteed.

We still gnash teeth over giving Fitzpatrick 10M dollars as though that was a massive sum of money for an NFL QB. That was low for a non-rookie contract starter THEN. Now? Nick Fricking Foles makes 12M/year. Every other established (non-rookie contract) NFL QB makes 16M+ 10 QBs make more than 20M/yr and Kirk Cousins is 47k away from being #11.

Before anyone asks, he has a 5M cap hit for the next two seasons. 1M of his 2016 salary is guaranteed. After this year he has no guaranteed dollars but has a dead cap hit of 667K due to his original 2M signing bonus. Hate him though we might, EJ's cap hit is only 2.8M and his contract is fully guaranteed so we'd eat the full 2.8M if we released him.

i think the goal would be to trade EJ. If they can, that's a trade I would like to see (for McCown)