RG3 meeting with Browns (update: signed)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He turned the Bengals offense around. He did it in large part by turning Andy Dalton from a scared, bottom tier starting QB into a very successful one. Dalton's injury was what held that team back from doing more in the playoffs. Oh, and the Bengals built their team precisely like the Browns are planning on rebuilding theirs. The big question is whether or not the owners, Dee and Jumpsuit Jimmy Haslam, will have the patience to see it through.

How are the Browns planning to rebuild that team?

In 2013, before Jackson arrived, Dalton threw for 4293 yards, 33 TDs (both career bests). The next year, he had 3398/19/17. These were worse than his rookie numbers. The next year was shortened by injury. Dalton made the playoffs every year before Jackson, and won no games with or without Jackson.

How are the Browns planning to rebuild that team?

In 2013, before Jackson arrived, Dalton threw for 4293 yards, 33 TDs (both career bests). The next year, he had 3398/19/17. These were worse than his rookie numbers. The next year was shortened by injury. Dalton made the playoffs every year before Jackson, and won no games with or without Jackson.

You don't think Dalton improved under Jackson? I sure do. Simply from a choking/not choking in big games perspective it seemed huge. Now maybe that was just him growing up and Jackson happened to be there, but he seemed vastly improved last season.

The Browns are doing a full, ground up rebuild with a big focus on building through the draft and retaining players. Notably, the players lost this offseason were largely due to the failings of the previous regime. Expect to see good players getting extended prior to reaching free agency with this regime. It will take time and there's no guarantee it'll be executed well, but it's the right way to try to turn the Browns around.

Edited by BarleyNY

You don't think Dalton improved under Jackson? I sure do. Simply from a choking/not choking in big games perspective it seemed huge. Now maybe that was just him growing up and Jackson happened to be there, but he seemed vastly improved last season.

The Browns are doing a full, ground up rebuild with a big focus on building through the draft and retaining players. Notably, the players lost this offseason were largely due to the failings of the previous regime. Expect to see good players getting extended prior to reaching free agency with this regime. It will take time and there's no guarantee it'll be executed well, but it's the right way to try to turn the Browns around.

The Bengals have never won a playoff (those are "big games") since Dalton has been there. Dalton's production dropped off sharply as soon as Jackson took over OC. The next season he looked better despite Jackson, I would say.

So this new regime is rebuilding through the draft? What was the last regime doing?

And the new regime consists of a VP of scouting from the Mets ("Chief Strategy Officer"!) and.....the team lawyer (!!). Neither guy has had anything to do with developing an NFL roster. What could go wrong?

I actually thought McCown was pretty good last year when he was healthy and is already in that vet mentor role. I don't know how RG3 fits in with the rebuild. Other teams that look to be successfully rebuilding like Jax and raiders drafted a QB high and just let him play. Not sure why they need to add another project. Just take the QB you Iike the best and roll with him and McCown IMO. They also have Austin Davis under contract as 3rd QB. Add some OL and WR in draft. Their RBs aren't bad and they gave a good TE. They don't have high expectations which is best for a rookie QB. The RG3 thing makes little sense to me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bengals have never won a playoff (those are "big games") since Dalton has been there. Dalton's production dropped off sharply as soon as Jackson took over OC. The next season he looked better despite Jackson, I would say.

So this new regime is rebuilding through the draft? What was the last regime doing?

And the new regime consists of a VP of scouting from the Mets ("Chief Strategy Officer"!) and.....the team lawyer (!!). Neither guy has had anything to do with developing an NFL roster. What could go wrong?

Dalton and the Bengals would have likely done well in the playoffs last season had Dalton not been injured. The dropoff when he was out of the lineup last season was telling. His stat totals were down due to being out with injury, but his QB rating was 106.2 last season, which was Hue's second with him. Prior to that it never broke out of the 80s. Seems like that improvement in Dalton certainly could have been due in part to Hue.

And I made a point to say there were no guarantees that this group would pull it off, only that their strategy of a ground up rebuild was correct. Care to comment on what I actually wrote?

The previous regime was at fault for not extending players when they still had time on their contracts. Mack should have been hit with the exclusive rights tag instead of transition tag two years ago. That would have led to a long term deal with the Browns instead of them having to match a contract with an opt out. Schwartz, Benjamin and Gipson could have all been extended last offseason as well.

Edited by BarleyNY

What is the Hue Jackson way and where has it succeeded before? How does it succeed in Cleveland?

Wait a second. In his one season with the raiders (being fired after Al Davis's death not necessarily his fault), he went 8-8 with a top-10 ranked offense. If he was a Bills coach that year, 99% of the posters on here would've called it a successful season.

Dalton and the Bengals would have likely done well in the playoffs last season had Dalton not been injured. The dropoff when he was out of the lineup last season was telling. His stat totals were down due to being out with injury, but his QB rating was 106.2 last season, which was Hue's second with him. Prior to that it never broke out of the 80s. Seems like that improvement in Dalton certainly could have been due in part to Hue.

And I made a point to say there were no guarantees that this group would pull it off, only that their strategy of a ground up rebuild was correct. Care to comment on what I actually wrote?

The previous regime was at fault for not extending players when they still had time on their contracts. Mack should have been hit with the exclusive rights tag instead of transition tag two years ago. That would have led to a long term deal with the Browns instead of them having to match a contract with an opt out. Schwartz, Benjamin and Gipson could have all been extended last offseason as well.

Actually i felt pretty strongly that Dalton had turned that corner. He played very confident and i expected them to go deep into the playoffs.

If you are "moneyballing" the NFL, wouldn't that put a major emphasis on QB? Wouldn't the analytical play be to sign RG3, draft Wentz or Goff, then take someone like Cook-Hackenberg-Cardale in round 3-4 and perhaps even a guy like Doughty or Kessler in round 7?

Is that 4 or 5 QBs on their roster?