RG3 meeting with Browns (update: signed)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should still draft a QB with the 2nd pick.

I think they probably will

well this could be boom or bust for cle. rg3 has talent but that was years ago and who knows if he can rebound.

He may not be the starter, post draft ?

@CBSSports

Soon...

CeU870rWQAAAIaZ.jpg

@JeffDarlington

First step for RG3’s tenure with the Browns? Begin visits with QB guru Tom House, the man who coaches people like Brady, Brees and Palmer.

I'm sure RG3 will be a wonderful mentor. Right up there with Brett Favre.

:lol: Those duties will fall upon Hue and the QB coach for the Browns.

@rapsheet

This 2-year deal for @RGIII can be worth up to $22M. Which underscores what we knew: Josh McCown will be playing for another team in 2016

RGIII will make $7.5M in 2016, including a $3.5M signing bonus. Same in 2017 if he's on the team. Up to $3.5M more available in incentives

@mikegarafolo

One more note on RG3 deal: $750k roster bonus due 3rd day of 2017 league year. So Browns could have a decision to make there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Tyrod really needs to be first at the Pegula cash machine when the next years cap space opens up

THAT MUCH for RG III?

These numbers don't mean anything. The only thing that matters is the guaranteed money and $6.75 million or whatever is nothing. That's actually a good investment considering his upside. Taylor is already worth way more than that (Osweiler got $37 million guaranteed and Taylor has proven a hell of a lot more than Osweiler) and will be worth even more if he can build off of last season. Believe me, the Browns will be elated if they have to pay RG3 that $22 million.

If you are "moneyballing" the NFL, wouldn't that put a major emphasis on QB? Wouldn't the analytical play be to sign RG3, draft Wentz or Goff, then take someone like Cook-Hackenberg-Cardale in round 3-4 and perhaps even a guy like Doughty or Kessler in round 7?

I agree with this plan and feels pretty no lose. RG3 is as healthy as he's ever been, gets to work with a really good OC, and has his former college wr (hopefully). And then you draft a guy who doesn't have to play right away.

It's weird to say it but I think it is a good move for the Browns which could have some serious upside (but it won't because it's Cleveland :) ).

Dalton and the Bengals would have likely done well in the playoffs last season had Dalton not been injured. The dropoff when he was out of the lineup last season was telling. His stat totals were down due to being out with injury, but his QB rating was 106.2 last season, which was Hue's second with him. Prior to that it never broke out of the 80s. Seems like that improvement in Dalton certainly could have been due in part to Hue.

And I made a point to say there were no guarantees that this group would pull it off, only that their strategy of a ground up rebuild was correct. Care to comment on what I actually wrote?

The previous regime was at fault for not extending players when they still had time on their contracts. Mack should have been hit with the exclusive rights tag instead of transition tag two years ago. That would have led to a long term deal with the Browns instead of them having to match a contract with an opt out. Schwartz, Benjamin and Gipson could have all been extended last offseason as well.

I did. The Browns have been "rebuilding through the draft" for years, what's new? Now they have two guys who have never done this before giving a try.

Pointing to a dropoff when your franchise QB is out of the lineup isn't proof of the positive impact of the OC. Perhaps the opposite is more likely.

Signing Mack, not signing Mack--clearly this did not and will not impact their success.

@DonBanks

At Tues AFC coaches breakfast, Hue Jackson convinced me the Browns were intent on giving RG3 his second NFL chance:

Browns see Griffin as a bridge QB to whomever they draft, be it at No. 2 or 32nd. But a young one, with enough upside to give them options.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz