I expect LB to be our 1st pick in this year's draft.

Does Cornelius Bennett count? He wasn't our draft pick, but he cost us 2 first rounders, a second round pick and Greg Bell (first round pick RB)

I say he does. He was the 2nd player taken overall -by the Colts. Never showed up and became our Halloween surprise the same year. But, Conlan was selected later than that in the 1st Rd., so he's technically the most previous LB we drafted from Rd. 1... I think..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a LB early. See guys like Von Miller and K Mack, they are a force all over the field in all circumstamces, more valuable than DL or DB's. DB in the first round I'm not in favor of. I'd rather stack the front 7, then most any one can play DB.

I know we need LBs, but there doesn't seem to be one worth picking at 19. Paxton Lynch would be more sensible, unless you figure Tyrod is better than I do. Which LB would be better than a potential franchise QB in Lynch?

Gotta disagree brah. If we had our 2014 defense with Shwartz at DC with the 2015 offense then we were playoff bound for sure. Rex scheme depends on quality LBs and we are drastically lacking in that dept. Were gonna take a LB and a DE/DT/NT in the 1st 2 rounds. Ill bet on it. Also bet we take 2 LBs in this years draft, which is looking like the most exciting Bills Draft in the most recent years. Our backs are against the walls with all the Defensive holes we need to fill in a strong DE/DT and LB class, its gonna be a good one! AND we have a 1st round pick this year with an extra 4th and 6th picks. And for all his short comings Rex has a good track record of picking CBs up in the draft so we will probably grab some decent DBs in the draft too. Wouldnt be surprised if whaley grabs a QB in the 3rd if someone drops that they like too. Vernon Adams jr anyone?

Edited by Marty McFly

I agree 100% the lack of free agent movement at one Bills drive puts a heavy emphasis on this coming draft. Dw and staff should be ready. I'm looking for Defense heavy draft in a great yr to get starters in front 7. Hopefully we get 3 starters immediately and possibly 5 in the long run. Including undrafted free agents to add to depth.

1- R Knemdiche 5tech

2- A Billings NT

3- S Shepard Wr

4- S Oakman 3/4 OLB

4- Auguyo K

I agree 100% the lack of free agent movement at one Bills drive puts a heavy emphasis on this coming draft. Dw and staff should be ready. I'm looking for Defense heavy draft in a great yr to get starters in front 7. Hopefully we get 3 starters immediately and possibly 5 in the long run. Including undrafted free agents to add to depth.

1- R Knemdiche 5tech

2- A Billings NT

3- S Shepard Wr

4- S Oakman 3/4 OLB

4- Auguyo K

we got 3 starters last draft without a 1st round pick. now we have a 1st and an extra 4th and 6th, its gonna be an exciting defense heavy draft that will directly impact our team next season for better or worse. Considering Rexs scheme is so complicated, am I the only one bothered by the fact we have to rely on so many rookies to study the scheme and transition to the NFL game speed at the same time?

no reason not to go BPA first round. Plenty of needs.

I am sure Bills will be bringing in front seven players, and probably 3 of them.

Lets hope Bills get starters and impact players. Such a great time to accept a trade down offer.

Pull up the freaking team bus and fill it up !

If there is a big talented WR worth the pick I'd rather they go that route.

A big, go get the ball receiver across Sammy would help Tyrod immensely, IMO.

Bills picked up 3 6'2" receivers at the end of the year last year. Don't see that happening. They currently have 9 receivers on the roster.

I'm in agreement we can sign TT, Glenn, amd Gillmore next year if TT proves it. We'll anywhere from $46-56 mil to spend, so I don't want another CB.

From what I'm reading this draft doesn't have a lot of OLB made for th e 3-4 like a Dumervil or Von Miller. It will be interesting to see who they take as we need a 3-4 DE, but they usually don't go in the first. If we use Hughes as one OLB, and Lawson and Brown as the two ILB, we rally are only in need of that one OLB.

Now we have 8 picks and Whaley has hit on a 7th with Henderson (prior to his illness), our 2nd, 3rd, and 5th ( Darby, Miller, and Karlos Williams). All excellent picks. This and other hits has me worried the least on Whaley's ability to pick up at least 4 starters out of these 8 picks, most likely 3 of them on defense.

Nope. Someone nailed it above -- Shane Conlan, 29 years ago.

Since then, first round picks by group:

9 DB

4 RB

4 DL

4 OL

3 WR

2 QB

Is Bill in NYC aware that we have drafted twice as many DBs in the first round vs. any other position?

GO BILLS!!!

i think the HC wants to improve his defensive front talent. from what i saw last season, his '3-4' looks were predominantly the same 4-3 under/over fronts he used with the Jets. It's an excellent 1 gap D that's very adaptable to moving safeties in and out of - to create an 8 man rush defense, or to overload blitz. anyway.. i'm guessing that young Barnes will be given a long look to earn the starting NT job - allowing them to keep Dareus as the 3-tech that floats from closed to open sides. but i think we'll add depth there in the draft. same thing with bolstering the closed side DE spot.. i like Wynn, and he may be fine as Mario's replacement - but they may decide to use a high round pick on a special kid to man that - or they may just add mid-round depth. i think the biggest bang for their buck will be using the first round pick to find a WLB talent who can burst into his assigned gaps, and chase with the best of them. to me, that's the key to these fronts given the current roster. either that, or a special player at the safety spot who can support our CBs and be a big hitter as that 8th man in the box.

on a kinda related topic.. i have no idea where Kyle Williams fits. last season there were gameplans where he was brought in as the closed side DE in some 4-3 over fronts - which stacked him over the strong side TE - where he had no chance of generating an outside pass rush from. he was most effective as the 3-tech, but moving Dareus inside to NT was more like subtraction by addition. i have no idea what his future is in 2016.

From what I'm reading this draft doesn't have a lot of OLB made for th e 3-4 like a Dumervil or Von Miller. It will be interesting to see who they take as we need a 3-4 DE, but they usually don't go in the first. If we use Hughes as one OLB, and Lawson and Brown as the two ILB, we rally are only in need of that one OLB.

in the '4-3' fronts Rex uses - Hughes is our open-side DE - which is equivalent to a '3-4' OLB with his hand on the ground. Preston's our Mike and Bradham was our Will. Lawson played the Sam in the under front - outside Mario on the strong, or 'closed' side. and i saw them bring him to the weak, or 'open' side- to play inside Hughes in the over front. that said, i agree that we only need one LB, and depending on the talent level of Bradham's replacement - current depth moving up, rookie, or FA - the D will be impacted accordingly.

you don't draft for need with #1 pick. you draft best available. remember Darby. a great example of this. 100% of people said it was a mistake bc we didn't "need" cornerbacks. nearsighted and dumb they were proven to be . let Whaley do his f ing job. we buy tickets, Whaley runs the draft and is very good at it.

Is Bill in NYC aware that we have drafted twice as many DBs in the first round vs. any other position?

GO BILLS!!!

without big time DBs you are dead in today's NFL. they are not the shiny objects fans want, but try to win 8+ games without them. you better have Aaron Rodgers , cause it aint' happening otherwise

...without big time DBs you are dead in today's NFL. they are not the shiny objects fans want, but try to win 8+ games without them. you better have Aaron Rodgers , cause it aint' happening otherwise

You'd be better off convincing Bill and others of that.

GO BILLS!!!

you don't draft for need with #1 pick. you draft best available. remember Darby. a great example of this. 100% of people said it was a mistake bc we didn't "need" cornerbacks. nearsighted and dumb they were proven to be . let Whaley do his f ing job. we buy tickets, Whaley runs the draft and is very good at it.

without big time DBs you are dead in today's NFL. they are not the shiny objects fans want, but try to win 8+ games without them. you better have Aaron Rodgers , cause it aint' happening otherwise

Its kinda funny how the flavor of the offseason has been bashing RR.....but he seems to really understand this point of DBs

The problem is a lot of his DBs have not worked out

in the '4-3' fronts Rex uses - Hughes is our open-side DE - which is equivalent to a '3-4' OLB with his hand on the ground. Preston's our Mike and Bradham was our Will. Lawson played the Sam in the under front - outside Mario on the strong, or 'closed' side. and i saw them bring him to the weak, or 'open' side- to play inside Hughes in the over front. that said, i agree that we only need one LB, and depending on the talent level of Bradham's replacement - current depth moving up, rookie, or FA - the D will be impacted accordingly.

You are planning on leaving Lawson inside the tackles?

I might suggest Bills need two LBs still. another pass rusher and one who can run with a TE from the will postion

it's not what I plan.. it's what I observed, and schematically, it's the alignment of the SAM when the DT shifts closed side in an over front.

edit - in fairness to your observation regarding Lawson assigned to an inside gap - it may have been a choice made in context of who the coaches thought was a better compliment to Hughes when a particular formation was expected, and Lawson's length was an advantage over Bradham's.. i don't recall the particulars, but you got me thinking - yeah - seeing Lawson inside Hughes was odd enough that i remembered it. but it seems to me, if the Bills had anything you consider as a 'base' D - it was the 4-3 under, with Lawson in the more recognizable SAM spot on the closed side.

so getting back to the OP's original point - i'm not sure how much of a drop off we have with Bradham leaving. it obviously wasn't such a big deal to the coaches, so i'm guessing they think they may actually be able to improve that position via draft or FA. i think Lawson and Hughes are a good fit. i'm not sure if Brown can handle the calls, but that's nothing that can be solved via the draft... so he'll probably be the Mike until someone makes their case to take his job. so we're back to the Will - and if there's an outstanding playmaker out there - who warrants a 1st rounder, that could really help solidify things.

lots of ways to go with that pick though - anyone arguing BPA wouldn't be wrong, either.

edit2- here's as good an explanation i could find for bringing the SAM to the weak side on an 'over' front call..

"Many 4-3 over tackle gurus, Lovie Smith for example, started trading “Sam” and “Will”. Lining “Sam” up opposite the tight end and “Will” with the tight end. This is because one of the areas offense exploit in both the “over” and “under” defenses is iso and zoning to the quick side. The alignment and spacing makes it tough to defend those schemes. By switching the linebackers you get more favorable match ups."

that came from a Michigan site.. and Lovie probably borrowed that concept from Kiffin - as Kiffin was of the same mind.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Lost faith in him in what regards?

He can be a solid possession receiver. He's not a number 2, IMO and he doesn't have much speed and how many times has he fallen down running a route?

As I said, they need another burner considering Goodwin is non existent.

Played with a groin injury practically the whole season........

we have literally like 9 receivers on this team....some of them with NFL experience at the end of the year.

Doesn't mean they are any good.

Outside of Watkins, who do we have?

Woods is a decent number 3 receiver I think. He lacks top flight speed as a deep threat. This team could use another legitimate burner/decent receiver opposite Watkins.

Goodwin can be, but he is focused on the Olympic Games, not football.

If finding a WR with deep speed is truly the answer to the equation......shouldnt be that hard to do.

Robert Woods did just fine as a number 2 prior to last year.....you gotta understand that 2nd WR is not gonna get a ton of stats in this offense. They might actually love Robert Woods because he is a very capable blocker....and he runs excellent routes.

it's not what I plan.. it's what I observed, and schematically, it's the alignment of the SAM when the DT shifts closed side in an over front.

edit - in fairness to your observation regarding Lawson assigned to an inside gap - it may have been a choice made in context of who the coaches thought was a better compliment to Hughes when a particular formation was expected, and Lawson's length was an advantage over Bradham's.. i don't recall the particulars, but you got me thinking - yeah - seeing Lawson inside Hughes was odd enough that i remembered it. but it seems to me, if the Bills had anything you consider as a 'base' D - it was the 4-3 under, with Lawson in the more recognizable SAM spot on the closed side.

so getting back to the OP's original point - i'm not sure how much of a drop off we have with Bradham leaving. it obviously wasn't such a big deal to the coaches, so i'm guessing they think they may actually be able to improve that position via draft or FA. i think Lawson and Hughes are a good fit. i'm not sure if Brown can handle the calls, but that's nothing that can be solved via the draft... so he'll probably be the Mike until someone makes their case to take his job. so we're back to the Will - and if there's an outstanding playmaker out there - who warrants a 1st rounder, that could really help solidify things.

lots of ways to go with that pick though - anyone arguing BPA wouldn't be wrong, either.

edit2- here's as good an explanation i could find for bringing the SAM to the weak side on an 'over' front call..

"Many 4-3 over tackle gurus, Lovie Smith for example, started trading “Sam” and “Will”. Lining “Sam” up opposite the tight end and “Will” with the tight end. This is because one of the areas offense exploit in both the “over” and “under” defenses is iso and zoning to the quick side. The alignment and spacing makes it tough to defend those schemes. By switching the linebackers you get more favorable match ups."

that came from a Michigan site.. and Lovie probably borrowed that concept from Kiffin - as Kiffin was of the same mind.

BITD

i do enjoy your posts.

Moving Manny back to play call was out of necessity more than ideal fitment. as you mentioned his length. Smart fellow, is why i think he was set back to shout the calls.

I think i realize there is so much much more to alignments than i fully understand, so can only generalize.

Be quite interesting to see what Rex does next year with his Lbs and Hughes. especially Brown.

Was hoping they might Fa vet like Dansby or someone just for the defensive QB and let Manny move back on top of Hughes

That would be a refreshing change. Despite it being a frequent need, the Bills draft LBs in the first round even less often than QBs.

Trivia time: Name the last LB taken by the Bills in the first round.

Sam Cowart

One word...."Tweener"

Tweener and only one good College season. Recipe for disaster.

Based on this

Vernon Butler in the 1st (maybe in a trade down)?

Kendrel Brothers in the 2nd?

I just wanna say that in a time when "rex sux" dominates the boards your posts are very very refreshing.

I think Sam Cowart was the first pick in his draft class but came in round 2. Does that count?

Also, Bills will go NT in round 1 IMO.

I do not believe that the bills will go NT in round 1

- They are not on the field 100 percent of the time due to multiple fronts

- You can find them later then round 1

- We dont have enough quality pass rushers

I am thinking a guy like Darron Lee or Noah Spence is gonna be that 1st round pick

Corner. No doubt. Because unless TT stinks it up, they will have to pay him. and if they pay him, they cannot afford Gilmore. pretty simple.

Reports have been they will have about 50 million under the cap next off-season. They can re-sign who they want to.

I think Sam Cowart was the first pick in his draft class but came in round 2. Does that count?

Also, Bills will go NT in round 1 IMO.

Draft is deep for DT. They can get a starting caliber DT after round one. LB might be harder to find. If there is a LB they like at 19 they should grab him.

Darron Lee or Reggie Ragland perhaps.

I honestly want those 2 for our 1st round picks. Either or will suffice.in the grand scheme of things, 3 years from now who will be the super star and who will be the regular star or bust? Hope we end up drafting the superstar. GO Bills! and titties! and Piss in ya Grill!

Looking over the roster the LB position is our most glaring need. Although DE is also a need, especially after this free agency, this year's draft is suppose to be deep at this position. I'm not suggesting on who we should draft because I don't know enough about the college prospects so I would like to see others who know more about this to weigh in on who would be the best prospects at the #19 pick.

One last thing. I noticed that Dwight Freeney is looking to play 1 more season before he calls it quits. I would think that he may have to wait a bit before some teams make a serious run at him. I couldn't imagine him demanding big dollars at this stage of his career. Any thoughts on him being a valid option for us this year? With us needing a speed rusher and Freeney being a situational edge rusher I would think that he could be an ideal fit for us, especially that he's a Syracuse graduate and Jerry Hughes being a former teammate, this could be a very fluid transition for all involved.

Go Bills!

This has been one of the worst offseasons in years, still not getting how you get better with holes at both LB & DE. This falls on Whaley and how we are cap hell.

How would you compare him with Darron Lee? I'm curious what someone who knows these, because I've mostly only heard about these guys.

they are a lot different. Lee is smaller, faster, more raw. He has more "upside" due to his speed and that he's an unfinished product. He's an ultra-competive, trash talking, baller. Biggest plays come in biggest games. Always shows up, always brings it. I think he has a ton of potential in the NFL, especially in versatility and coverage for a LB I also think he can be frustrating with his tackling and penalties. Shazier had similar issues. Can be fixed but rookie year could be tough. He's also super young - doesn't turn 21 until October. No real issues but his maturity is a work in progress.

Perry is huge and IMO NFL ready. Hes not quite as smooth and not as brash. He's more of your prototypical leader. True senior. He has long legs and a big frame which I think makes his motion look more awkward than a guy like Lee. Very intelligent, mature football player. Also versatile as he can over and rush the QB. I can honestly see either one on this D for different reasons. Lee is a 1st rounder because it's hard to find that kind of speed and I think he can still get bigger. Shazier was similar size in college and really got big once he got in the league. Perry is more of a plug and play LB - more solid than exciting but hard to overlook his positive attributes.

IMO

Edited by YoloinOhio

they are a lot different. Lee is smaller, faster, more raw. He has more "upside" due to his speed and that he's an unfinished product. He's an ultra-competive, trash talking, baller. Biggest plays come in biggest games. Always shows up, always brings it. I think he has a ton of potential in the NFL, especially in versatility and coverage for a LB I also think he can be frustrating with his tackling and penalties. Shazier had similar issues. Can be fixed but rookie year could be tough. He's also super young - doesn't turn 21 until October. No real issues but his maturity is a work in progress.

Perry is huge and IMO NFL ready. Hes not quite as smooth and not as brash. He's more of your prototypical leader. True senior. He has long legs and a big frame which I think makes his motion look more awkward than a guy like Lee. Very intelligent, mature football player. Also versatile as he can over and rush the QB. I can honestly see either one on this D for different reasons. Lee is a 1st rounder because it's hard to find that kind of speed and I think he can still get bigger. Shazier was similar size in college and really got big once he got in the league. Perry is more of a plug and play LB - more solid than exciting but hard to overlook his positive attributes.

IMO

Thanks! I appreciate your opinion. It sounds to me like Lee could be our D. Buchanon, M.Barron etc. type WIL. I'm starting to warm to this idea should he make it to us in the draft. It will be an interesting decision come draft day as to what the Bills do with all the other options/needs presented by Whaley etc.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Thanks! I appreciate your opinion. It sounds to me like Lee could be our D. Buchanon, M.Barron etc. type WIL. I'm starting to warm to this idea should he make it to us in the draft. It will be an interesting decision come draft day as to what the Bills do with all the other options/needs presented by Whaley etc.

i would be excited to see what he would do in this defense - he's a great blitzer and it sounds like Rob Ryan is going to be coaching the LBs. Would be interesting!

We will choose the best player on the board. The Bills have stood by this and still many fans say the Bills should go this position or that position. It all depends on how the draft falls. The Bills have an idea how that may happen but even they don't know the direction they are going in until draft day. If 2 guys have a similar score then and only then will they choose the need position. I want the best player and if it's a defensive LB or lineman great but you can't justify a lower graded player if you can grab a stud at a different position. We still can pick up guys in the later rounds, bring in guys who get cut by other teams in pre season and groom what we have on the roster already. I trust Whaley, he does a nice job on draft day, something that haunted us for years before he took over.

We will choose the best player on the board. The Bills have stood by this and still many fans say the Bills should go this position or that position. It all depends on how the draft falls. The Bills have an idea how that may happen but even they don't know the direction they are going in until draft day. If 2 guys have a similar score then and only then will they choose the need position. I want the best player and if it's a defensive LB or lineman great but you can't justify a lower graded player if you can grab a stud at a different position. We still can pick up guys in the later rounds, bring in guys who get cut by other teams in pre season and groom what we have on the roster already. I trust Whaley, he does a nice job on draft day, something that haunted us for years before he took over.

you mean like Sammy ?

no snark intended offsides : )

i would be excited to see what he would do in this defense - he's a great blitzer and it sounds like Rob Ryan is going to be coaching the LBs. Would be interesting!

can we have them both and just be done with it already? Lee and Perry both. a good GM would do that