Report: Fitzy to hit the market

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this was posted before (apologies if it has)...

Quotes from interesting B/R article by Ian Wharton...

"I took an eight-game sample against the Jets' top opponents to chart Fitzpatrick’s accuracy and pass-distribution tendencies, and the results were disturbingly poor. Only 63 percent of his 268 passing attempts could have been caught, which reinforces how inconsistent he is at performing even elementary throws.... Fitzpatrick is a reckless gunslinger with little regard of his surroundings... His weak arm often shows in tight passing lanes and downfield throws."

Despite the improved statistics, it's reassuring to know Fitz is still Fitz.

But you've got to give a lot of credit to Chan Gailey who knows how to utilize limited talents like Fitz and CJ.

I'm not sure if this was posted before (apologies if it has)...

Quotes from interesting B/R article by Ian Wharton...

"I took an eight-game sample against the Jets' top opponents to chart Fitzpatrick’s accuracy and pass-distribution tendencies, and the results were disturbingly poor. Only 63 percent of his 268 passing attempts could have been caught, which reinforces how inconsistent he is at performing even elementary throws.... Fitzpatrick is a reckless gunslinger with little regard of his surroundings... His weak arm often shows in tight passing lanes and downfield throws."

Despite the improved statistics, it's reassuring to know Fitz is still Fitz.

But you've got to give a lot of credit to Chan Gailey who knows how to utilize limited talents like Fitz and CJ.

Yet 60% of all his passes were caught.....

Big Ben and Brees had 68% completion. All passes are either caught, dropped, defended (Int/batted away)...or "could not be caught".

Since Brees only threw 11 ints on 627 attempts, and given that passes broken up probably don't add up to more than half a dozen a game, that probably leaves about 30-32% of Brees's passes that "could not be caught". Is that so much better than Fitz's 37%? Is one the best in the league and the other "disturbingly poor"?

As for the weak arm, he was ranked 14th in total "yards in the air" just ahead of TT. 54.4 of his passing yards were in the air, 45.6 after the catch. His stats were better than "big arms" Phil Rivers, MAtt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco....

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yet 60% of all his passes were caught.....

Big Ben and Brees had 68% completion. All passes are either caught, dropped, defended (Int/batted away)...or "could not be caught".

Since Brees only threw 11 ints on 627 attempts, and given that passes broken up probably don't add up to more than half a dozen a game, that probably leaves about 30-32% of Brees's passes that "could not be caught". Is that so much better than Fitz's 37%? Is one the best in the league and the other "disturbingly poor"?

As for the weak arm, he was ranked 14th in total "yards in the air" just ahead of TT. 54.4 of his passing yards were in the air, 45.6 after the catch. His stats were better than "big arms" Phil Rivers, MAtt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco....

Are you really defending Fitz? By the way, YES, a 5-7% difference in catchable balls is significant (if we accept your rudimentary calculation), and are you actually suggesting "yards in the air" per completion is directly correlated to (and the primary determinant of) arm strength?

Are you really defending Fitz? By the way, YES, a 5-7% difference in catchable balls is significant (if we accept your rudimentary calculation), and are you actually suggesting "yards in the air" per completion is directly correlated to (and the primary determinant of) arm strength?

Defending him? I guess. Or just pointing out the inconsistencies in that guy's quote.

If even the best in the NFL's passes are uncatchable than calling 40% "disturbingly poor" means you have invented a meaningless stat.

The author specifically pointed out that his weak arm shows in his downfield throws. I have shown that his numbers show his arm strength is just fine at getting the ball downfield. He is tied for 9th in the NFL last season for passes over 20 yards.

So....high % of his yards in the air, not after the catch, and top 10 in passes over 20 yards mean his arm strength is more than adequate for getting the ball "downfield" compared to other guys with assumed better arm strength.

Defending him? I guess. Or just pointing out the inconsistencies in that guy's quote.

If even the best in the NFL's passes are uncatchable than calling 40% "disturbingly poor" means you have invented a meaningless stat.

The author specifically pointed out that his weak arm shows in his downfield throws. I have shown that his numbers show his arm strength is just fine at getting the ball downfield. He is tied for 9th in the NFL last season for passes over 20 yards.

So....high % of his yards in the air, not after the catch, and top 10 in passes over 20 yards mean his arm strength is more than adequate for getting the ball "downfield" compared to other guys with assumed better arm strength.

If the best QBs in the game throw 2-3 fewer "uncatchable" passes per game, it's a significant stat.

Throwing downfield doesn't necessarily mean "strong arm." QBs with strong arms are generally recognized for hitting the "shorter" routes with accuracy and zip. Any QB in the league can loft a long ball to an open receiver.

And we've all seen the way Fitz has to wind himself up and throw his entire body into a pass longer than 15 yards. The eyes don't lie.

Edited by eball

i think he will eventually sign with NYJ. But if I were him I'd take a lower salary to go to Denver if they have any interest.

I think he would be better off going back to Jersey, personally. I am getting the sense, no matter who the QB is in Denver, they are going to have that "Super Bowl hangover" in effect... they have already lost some big, key, pieces... plus, I don't think it is necessarily a coincidence that Fitz had had his two best seasons in the NFL, with Chan Gailey as his boss...I hate the Jets as much as anyone, but I think they are a team on the rise...or at least one that will be pretty competitive next season...and they have some good pieces...Fitz isn't getting younger...why not wind down where you have had more success than anybody would have ever thought possible?

Edited by Buftex

I think he would be better off going back to Jersey, personally. I am getting the sense, no matter who the QB is in Denver, they are going to have that "Super Bowl hangover" in effect... they have already lost some big, key, pieces... plus, I don't think it is necessarily a coincidence that Fitz had had his two best seasons in the NFL, with Chan Gailey as his boss...I hate the Jets as much as anyone, but I think they are a team on the rise...or at least one that will be pretty competitive next season...and they have some good pieces...Fitz isn't getting younger...why not wind down where you have had more success than anybody would have ever thought possible?

That is what i find odd.

he pisses away the playoff shot in front of God and everybody, and somehow thinks he has leverage?

Gailey was the best and ONLY thing that happened Fitzmunch. he should thankful to the Jets. Maybe they call up Stevie ?!

If the best QBs in the game throw 2-3 fewer "uncatchable" passes per game, it's a significant stat.

Throwing downfield doesn't necessarily mean "strong arm." QBs with strong arms are generally recognized for hitting the "shorter" routes with accuracy and zip. Any QB in the league can loft a long ball to an open receiver.

And we've all seen the way Fitz has to wind himself up and throw his entire body into a pass longer than 15 yards. The eyes don't lie.

If the difference between the best in the league and one who is "disturbingly poor" is only 2-3 less uncatchable passes (over 30-40 thrown per game), then the stat is not powerful enough to separate the best from the worst.

Again, Fitz's stats show his arm strength is not a handicap at getting the ball down the field, which is what that guy was arguing (the opposite). He has issues with being careless with the ball at inopportune times, no doubt. But your statement of his struggle to pass beyond 15 yards is laughable. A simple google search of Fitz clips shows him making short, long throws, throwing ove the middle with zip and threading the needle between defenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07aq3Dn34g

If we were to rely on your eyes, we would miss too much.

Not sure why people like to rip Fitz. He's a mediocre QB playing in a league where the overall QBing is pretty poor. That alone gives him value, flaws and all.

When he has played for your team you will understand why people rip him. In the most critical of moments his "mediocre QB" becomes garbage.

When he has played for your team you will understand why people rip him. In the most critical of moments his "mediocre QB" becomes garbage.

He really looked awful so many times for us. Just could get any thing on the ball.

screw the stats, i saw all his games all his ducks.

Guy has a great competitive nature and easy to root for but boy he just killed the Bills sometimes.

Just like that Jets game last year against us. just like that.