Falcons Ask Eli Apple if He Likes Men in Combine Interview

There are more gay players in the NFL than you would expect. There's a player on the Bills that's gay and it's well known who it is. You can speculate but if you have any gaydar at all you'll figure out who it is right away just by watching interviews.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all this "gay talk" in the NFL is so disingenuous. Something about it bugs me. Not sure what it is. I can rattle off 5 current and former Pro-Bowlers off the top of my head that are gay.

It's well known? Well known by whom?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious?!

It's a job interview...it's literally a job interview. How is it not a job interview?

To ask that question is ridiculous. Do you think it would be acceptable for teams to ask draft picks what time of month their wives menstrual cycle is in fear of the draft pick "having a difficult week"??? You see where I'm going there? It's an invasion of privacy.

The question of sexual preference is an inherent violation of constitutional rights. The right to free association is a protected 2nd amendment right. Whether or not it is a social issue in the locker room is seperate and should never be asked by an employer. This isn't a gay rights issue...it's an invasion of privacy, violation of free speech (right to free association is seen as free speech) and this constitutional issue a team has trampled on during an interview....

There are a number of reasons why asking a question of this kind in this setting would be "illegal". Sexual harassment is one, employment discrimination is another. Always the lame excuse is "I was only joking". A combine interview is not the place for a coach to work out his stand-up routine. These interviews are part of the process in figuring out which players are going to get a chance at employment in the NFL and plays a role in the amount of money they will ultimately make. Inquiring into someones sexual habits is just not within a thousand miles of the appropriate way to do business.

There are more gay players in the NFL than you would expect. There's a player on the Bills that's gay and it's well known who it is. You can speculate but if you have any gaydar at all you'll figure out who it is right away just by watching interviews.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all this "gay talk" in the NFL is so disingenuous. Something about it bugs me. Not sure what it is. I can rattle off 5 current and former Pro-Bowlers off the top of my head that are gay.

But again, who the F cares. Its 2016. I just want guys who are good at playing football.

Edit- I just removed some speculative unnecessary info alluding to said player. I really don't care what their business is.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

...do you measure their 40 yard dash time? or how much they weigh, too?

it's an entirely different situation and set of legalities.

It's not an entirely different situation...it's no different than an employer asking a secretary how many words per minute they can type..

...do you measure their 40 yard dash time? or how much they weigh, too?

it's an entirely different situation and set of legalities.

Wait, you aren't suggesting that you have the first clue about "legalities" are you?

Stupid, stupid thing for someone to ask, but equally stupid for Eli to divulge the team. Poor judgment on his part.

How is it stupid to divulge? He was calling out a team for asking a clearly ignorant and probably illegal question in an interview. You aren't saying that Apple was bound by any sort of confidentiality, are you? Edited by mannc

In this day and age, it's not normal and probably not even legal.

It's considered an interview so yes, the Falcons open themselves up for a potential lawsuit. As a hiring manager for years, i've been through countless hours of HR training over the years of what you can and cannot ask. You cannot ask any question that infers you inquiring as to someone's gender orientation. Besides that it is a stupid question and bares no relevance in his ability to perform his duties as a CB, it's also not allowable.

If the interview was taped, the Falcons are at risk of a suit. It's no different than not being able to ask about age, religion, personal life, and so on. You can only ask questions that strictly relates to the candidates abilities and skills to perform the needed tasks for that job.

Fingon, you're probably right, but that's not the point. The point is the Falcons are not allowed to ask those types of questions and open themselves up for a lawsuit. It's none of their business if the guy is gay or not, even if asked in jest. The coach who asked that question needs to go back to HR training.

Fingon, you're probably right, but that's not the point. The point is the Falcons are not allowed to ask those types of questions and open themselves up for a lawsuit. It's none of their business if the guy is gay or not, even if asked in jest. The coach who asked that question needs to go back to HR training.

Nailed it.

It's considered an interview so yes, the Falcons open themselves up for a potential lawsuit. As a hiring manager for years, i've been through countless hours of HR training over the years of what you can and cannot ask. You cannot ask any question that infers you inquiring as to someone's gender orientation. Besides that it is a stupid question and bares no relevance in his ability to perform his duties as a CB, it's also not allowable.

If the interview was taped, the Falcons are at risk of a suit. It's no different than not being able to ask about age, religion, personal life, and so on. You can only ask questions that strictly relates to the candidates abilities and skills to perform the needed tasks for that job.

Without question. But in a closed and highly structured environment like the NFL, it's not surprising that modern day HR practices haven't filtered all the way down through management.

To some of the comments above, of course this kind of thing reflects negatively on a draft prospect from the perspective of some NFL coaches for not keeping thing 'in house'. Others won't care, but it could turn some teams off to him. Since he's a top talent it probably won't matter but to think no one will care is foolish.

I'll take a minute to reply to ya because I respect your insight. But I'm on my mobile and getting sleepy.

First off this is one sided thus far and despite Atlanta apologizing it doesn't have much leverage. Atlanta must apologize if an intern in the A/V department farts too close to a midget. Its just the way the world works. So their apology isn't much weight in to this situation. Its a one sided story where we here after the fact that the question was asked. We don't hear anyone account for Apples behavior before, after or during the question. We don't ha e any insight at all. If apple is to be a stand up guy he addresses the issue then and there. Puts it to rest. He tells the coach hey bro. Not that it is your business at all but I have no problems with anyone. I respect all people and their choices but I feel as if your question was insensitive and inappropriate. You need not concern yourself with my personal beliefs of such things because I want to focus on playing football and contributing to my team no matter who is on it.

Of course, apple could have moosh mouthed some nonsense reply about how he doesn't care about anything and gave a lame answer not thinking twice. Or he could have gave a poignant dignified response like I provided above.

It still does not take away that he spoke out about the issue. He had no reason to do so... at all.

The coach maybe stupid but the coach isn't the one being graded, vetted, poked and pried. And I have supreme confidence in my opinion that some scouts and personnel men in the league will ding this as a negative for apple. Remember this is a league of those in the in. And those on the outside. Apple is still on the outside looking in.

Further, and lastly ... the question is not necessarily inappropriate. It was asked poorly. There are much better ways to ask that question. But, in the test of someone's character and under pressure, as the combine creates, you do not want to ask or go for ordinary. And, maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff or someone overheard or had a reason for the questioning we will never know.

Of course, lots of speculation but its fair to do so. We have heard one side of a story in which we know only a tint bit of the whole event. These types of stories make great headlines - see NYDN/Manning.

I appreciate you taking the time to give your response. However, I respectfully disagree with your point that others in the business could take the way Apple handled the question/s during and after the interview would put Apple in a poorer position to be drafted. If any organization considered the draft prospect to be a lesser prospect then that organization is very backward and foolish.

The bosses at the top of the organization were not only upset with the coach's inappropriate questions but they were embarrassed by it. You are right in the sense that there are remnants that still exist in the football business (and all types of businesses) that have a retrograde view on this topic. But I am confident that their influence when it comes to drafting is so insignificant that it borders on being non-existent.

Again, I appreciate you taking the added time to respond to my post. .

side note: This is a topic that resonates with Goodell who has a gay brother. He has little tolerance for such an outdated attitude in the business he oversees.

http://www.outsports.com/2012/12/7/4054056/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-protected-his-gay-brother-from-bullies

Ridiculous question. I think Apple handled himself just fine. I'd have told the man I thought it was an impertinent question, none of his business, had nothing to do with my chances of success in the NFL shook his hand stood up and walked out.

But again, who the F cares. Its 2016. I just want guys who are good at playing football.

Edit- I just removed some speculative unnecessary info alluding to said player. I really don't care what their business is.

Some people might not care, but the truth is we don't know how people will react when a major football player comes out of the closet.

Right now the NFL and NBA are testing the waters by allowing no-name player like Sam or Collins come out, but we don't know what's going to happen when Aaron Rodgers or Odell Beckham finally come out. Hell, I mean they take a page out of Hollywood to give these players beards. That's how much the NFL is worried.

Football is a macho culture, and while everyone is talking about how much they don't care I'm curious to see what happens when a superstar comes out. We're going to see what this country is REALLY about.

This was Apple's entire comment on the matter:

"I've been asked a lot of weird questions. I don't know if I could say on TV," Apple said. "The Falcons coach, one of the coaches, was like, 'So do you like men?' It was like the first thing he asked me. It was weird. I was just like, 'No.' He was like, 'if you're going to come to Atlanta, sometimes that's how it is around here, you're going to have to get used to it.' I guess he was joking but they just ask most of these questions to see how you're going to react."

It sure didn't seem like he thought he'd get anyone in trouble or create a stir. It's a slow media cycle and this is an easy article to write. Apple won't be hurt by it and the Falcons apologized. I should probably end there. Now that it hit the news every single team has probably communicated (for the umpteenth time) to their staffs that comments and questions like this are not acceptable. At some point this sort of thing becomes a stupidity test for career potential. It's sort of like players who smoke pot before the combine. If you're not smart enough to know you can't do it - or if you have such a big problem that you do it even though you know better - then you are a liability and we probably don't have much use for you.

Eli is of squeaky clean character and has about zero red flags. If this were to move him down on someone's board because he shared a question that he got in an interview, which tons of other players have been doing publically all week by the way, that would be that team's loss. If it puts the Falcons in a bad light, that's their problem not Eli's. I could see a team being miffed that he shared the question, but it's not confidential and he did nothing wrong IMO.

The reason they ask that type of question is to see how he handles it - because he will hear much worse on Gameday from opponents, fans, etc. They want to see if they have a Adam jones on their hands. Can he handle obnoxious stuff being thrown at him in a pressure situation and not blow a fuse or get rattled? It is illegal to ask that particular question in a job interview. But that's why they do. It will be interesting to see what the NFL does or doesn't do. The Falcons responded appropriately when learning of it, IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Stupid, stupid thing for someone to ask, but equally stupid for Eli to divulge the team. Poor judgment on his part.

YEP

Gone are the days of discretion.

We strip 20 year olds down to their underwear to get a better look at their body make up. We weigh them. We put them through medical screening. We put them through physical tests--all in preparation for a multi-million dollar investment in their future.

And you guys think that the hiring standards that apply to you and your corporate careers are what should be at play?

Tone down the outrage. These guys get asked wild things all the time. The process, by its very nature, is probing and humiliating. This guy is an idiot for going public with the proceedings right away.

Edited by The Big Cat

YEP

Gone are the days of discretion.

We strip 20 year olds down to their underwear to get a better look at their body make up. We weigh them. We put them through medical screening. We put them through physical tests--all in preparation for a multi-million dollar investment in their future.

And you guys think that the hiring standards that apply to you and your corporate careers are what should be at play?

Tone down the outrage. These guys get asked wild things all the time. The process, by its very nature is probing and humiliating. Turn down the outrage. This guy is an idiot for going public with the proceedings right away.

Pure Nonsense!

Pure Nonsense!

okay. why?

Imagine auditioning for a job and being forced to do something so strenuous in an outfit so revealing that your dong popped out.

Where was the horror then?

Why are we suddenly aghast at the level of scrutiny/humiliation these guys are put through as part of the COMBINE.

Jesus, it's right there in the word: combine.

an agricultural machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans a grain crop in one operation.

okay. why?

Imagine auditioning for a job and being forced to do something so strenuous in an outfit so revealing that your dong popped out.

Where was the horror then?

Why are we suddenly aghast at the level of scrutiny/humiliation these guys are put through as part of the COMBINE.

Jesus, it's right there in the word: combine.

an agricultural machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans a grain crop in one operation.

The question was simply inappropriate irrespective of the venue being the NFL Scouting Combine. That it took place in a football environment doesn't change that and Apple did absolutely nothing wrong when he divulged what he was asked and the team that asked him. It reflects as a 100% negative exclusively on the Falcons and to suggest that Apple did any wrong is ridiculous.

The question was simply inappropriate irrespective of the venue being the NFL Scouting Combine. That it took place in a football environment doesn't change that and Apple did absolutely nothing wrong when he divulged what he was asked and the team that asked him. It reflects as a 100% negative exclusively on the Falcons and to suggest that Apple did any wrong is ridiculous.

I'm not suggesting the Falcons aren't a little ass backwards for putting the issue front and center.

I am, however, a little surprised that folks are shocked at this glimpse behind the curtain. It's something we fans so rarely get. Why? Because players intrinsically understand what stays behind the closed door. My guess is: if they didn't, we would hear about this stuff all the time and by now would be numb to it. Just a hunch.

So, if there is, in fact, a team by team by team behind the scenes culture in the NFL, one that looks a little naughty by conventional social standards (as this incident would illustrate), then, yes, he's an idiot for being privy to that culture for one friggin day then demonstrating an inability to keep from flapping his gums about it.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'm not suggesting the Falcons aren't a little ass backwards for putting the issue front and center.

I am, however, a little surprised that folks are shocked at this glimpse behind the curtain. It's something we fans so rarely get. Why? Because players intrinsically understand what stays behind the closed door. My guess is: if they didn't, we would hear about this stuff all the time and by now would be numb to it. Just a hunch.

So, if there is, in fact, a team by team by team behind the scenes culture in the NFL, one that looks a little naughty by conventional social standards (as this incident would illustrate), then, yes, he's an idiot for being privy to that culture for one friggin day then demonstrating an inability to keep from flapping his gums about it.

Draft prospects are often interviewed and asked about bizarre questions that are posed in team interviews. This is no different and by no means makes him an idiot in any way. To suggest that he is has zero merit from my vantage point.

Draft prospects are often interviewed and asked about bizarre questions that are posed in team interviews. This is no different and by no means makes him an idiot in any way. To suggest that he is has zero merit from my vantage point.

You're right, it is no different. What is different is prospects know better than to talk about it. Am I being clear about the difference as it applies here?

When you were fresh out of college, did you interview for jobs that carried salaries of six or seven digits?

I'm certain there is a deep dive into these guy's personal lives that we mere civilians simply aren't subjected to. That doesn't justify asking about a man's sexual preferences. I get that. But to be suddenly outraged by THAT line of questioning strikes me as inconsistent, given the dive into their personal lives that undoubtedly takes place in these settings, most of which we'd have no problem with.

You're right, it is no different. What is different is prospects know better than to talk about it. Am I being clear about the difference as it applies here?

When you were fresh out of college, did you interview for jobs that carried salaries of six or seven digits?

I'm certain there is a deep dive into these guy's personal lives that we mere civilians simply aren't subjected to. That doesn't justify asking about a man's sexual preferences. I get that. But to be suddenly outraged by THAT line of questioning strikes me as inconsistent, given the dive into their personal lives that undoubtedly takes place in these settings, most of which we'd have no problem with.

The question is plainly and simply out of bounds. It's not a matter of outrage for me. The coach who asked the question just should not have gone down that road because it has no bearing on his potential ability to do the job that he'll perform in the NFL as a CB.

The question is plainly and simply out of bounds. It's not a matter of outrage for me. The coach who asked the question just should not have gone down that road because it has no bearing on his potential ability to do the job that he'll perform in the NFL as a CB.

Of course it's "out of bounds." What I'm interested in hearing is your feelings on the hundreds of other "out of bounds" questions/procedures associated with the combine.

Why are you so fixated on this one?

And if it's because it's the only one we've heard of, then that speaks to his lack of discretion. Unless you believe this was the only "out of bounds" question asked of the hundreds of guys who shuffled through there. But from what I surmise, it's just the only one the media got their hands on.

Edited by The Big Cat

Of course it's "out of bounds." What I'm interested in hearing is your feelings on the hundreds of other "out of bounds" questions/procedures associated with the combine.

Why are you so fixated on this one?

And if it's because it's the only one we've heard of, then that speaks to his lack of discretion. Unless you believe this was the only "out of bounds" question asked of the hundreds of guys who shuffled through there. But from what I surmise, it's just the only one the media got their hands on.

I think you're right.

To call this guy an idiot is ridiculous! Just remember many of the worst scandals occur when people decide to play along with the party line. I for one am glad to see someone speak out about what they were asked inappropriately. It shows some guts. When people say nothing, NOTHING ever gets better.

How is it stupid to divulge? He was calling out a team for asking a clearly ignorant and probably illegal question in an interview. You aren't saying that Apple was bound by any sort of confidentiality, are you?

I've given a couple responses, but I'll go again...if you listen to the interview he was, IMO, joking around w some radio guys. That's not the time/place IMO, so I say poor judgement on his part.

To call this guy an idiot is ridiculous! Just remember many of the worst scandals occur when people decide to play along with the party line. I for one am glad to see someone speak out about what they were asked inappropriately. It shows some guts. When people say nothing, NOTHING ever gets better.

Tough to argue with an idealist.

You're absolutely correct. But you're an idealist. :flirt:

I can't believe some think Apple did anything wrong here.

He answered a question on a show that he thought was a funny story.

The question if he likes men is beyond stupid and an irrelevant one. Whoever asked him is a complete dunce who should be mocked.

The question if he likes men is beyond stupid and an irrelevant one. Whoever asked him is a complete dunce who should be mocked.

Who said he did anything wrong?

People pointed out that it may cost him in the eyes of some NFL front offices, but I didn't see anyone say he was wrong.

if you interviewed someone and asked them a question about if they have the ability to get to work/license... and the guy then went on the Radio and made fun of the question would you be bothered?

Who said he did anything wrong?

People pointed out that it may cost him in the eyes of some NFL front offices, but I didn't see anyone say he was wrong.

I think he did two things wrong.

1. Disclose details of a behind-the-scenes meeting that took place in an implicitly hush-hush environment on an implicitly hush-hush topic
  2. Make light of it in a public interview, thus demonstrating his lack of wherewithal on the issue's sensitivity and how the media would portray it

To me, both slips demonstrate a pretty signifiant lack of savvy on his part.

LAMP: I was asked in an interview once how I vote. I'm perfectly aware that this was inappropriate. But this was for a government job working for an elected official. Still inappropriate. But I knew it was in my best interest to keep my mouth shut about it.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out to people that he's not as stupid as people in this thread make him out to be. He's a good player, and I don't think this will hurt his draft stock at all. It's such a stupid question that most teams are probably dumbfounded that the Falcons even asked it. I'd imagine the majority of the league are having their legal teams brief the scouts on what they can and can't ask during the interviews.