Why don't the Pegulas take advantage of the NFL Luxury Tax?

You're probably right as doubt anyone can be that stupid!

Nice. Seriously.

A poster can't throw a serious question out there without getting pounded on for not totally understanding the luxury tax. Instead of calling names and insulting, why not just help him understand.

Ridiculous.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tellin' me some of these teams like the Patriots and Seahawks don't go over the cap?? Ever??

Certainly not the Patriots. Nobody cuts their own loose faster than them. As soon as they expect a "star" has passed his value, they unload him (Richard Seymore, Wes Welker, etc. all the way back to Lawyer Milloy) and have a quarterback who takes less than his value because A) He wife makes a gajillion dollars and B) there seem to be some illegal revenue streams.

Nice. Seriously.

A poster can't throw a serious question out there without getting pounded on for not totally understanding the luxury tax. Instead of calling names and insulting, why not just help him understand.

Ridiculous.

Thank you! Its confusing to us non-cap people how these things work. Ive taken a pounding over alot of things, but for something as complicated as the NFL luxury tax, its not fair. You need a degree in numbers to figure some of this crap out!

Thank you! Its confusing to us non-cap people how these things work. Ive taken a pounding over alot of things, but for something as complicated as the NFL luxury tax, its not fair. You need a degree in numbers to figure some of this crap out!

There's a lot of numbers being bandied about: soft, hard, luxury, cash to strap, cash to cap, hard cash, cold cash, deferred cash, IRA's, TSA's, SEP, Franchise fees, not to mention Use Taxes and the entire tax code. Most guys on here are more knowledgeable than me, so it's nice to get an answer now and then. I could email the Bills' front office and ask them why they don't take advantage of the luxury tax, but I don't want to tip off other teams that might be thinking the same thing.

Again, I don't know if you guys are joking or not but it isn't that complicated in the NFL. The salary cap number is $155.27M. That is the number that the cap hits of the top 51 cannot exceed. The cap hits are comprised of the salary, roster bonus, prorated portion of a signing bonus and the dead cap of players that are no longer there. I think that covers it for the most part. When you add those numbers up you cannot exceed the $155.27M for the top 51 contracts.

What teams do is they often convert roster bonus to a signing bonus so that they can spread out the cap hit. It is kind of kicking the can down the road.

Again, I don't know if you guys are joking or not but it isn't that complicated in the NFL. The salary cap number is $155.27M. That is the number that the cap hits of the top 51 cannot exceed. The cap hits are comprised of the salary, roster bonus, prorated portion of a signing bonus and the dead cap of players that are no longer there. I think that covers it for the most part. When you add those numbers up you cannot exceed the $155.27M for the top 51 contracts.

What teams do is they often convert roster bonus to a signing bonus so that they can spread out the cap hit. It is kind of kicking the can down the road.

So the cap is 155.27 million...what you're saying is, once they spend 155 million, they have an extra 27 million to throw at other players including rookies and losses to injury? It makes sense to have that extra 27 million in case a guy sustains an ACL in Sept. I guess.

So the cap is 155.27 million...what you're saying is, once they spend 155 million, they have an extra 27 million to throw at other players including rookies and losses to injury? It makes sense to have that extra 27 million in case a guy sustains an ACL in Sept. I guess.

No, that is why it only accounts for the top 51 contracts. You can have some turn over at the bottom of the roster. Also, it is $270K not $27M.

Not in an official contractual way. But they circumvent the cap by co-investing in businesses owned by a prima dona whiny QBs.

Really? In this day of off shore banking? Multi-National Corporations? Krafty would hide a little something something for Marcia? Surely you jest!

OK spend $155.xx on the op 51 players. Once they are paid pay the other two. If we pay Incognito and Glenn last than we don't have to count them!

That's what I was saying. Use the extra 27 million after you use up the 155 million. Why is this so hard to comprehend. I guess the extra 27 million is the luxury tax component?

So if the top 51 is a moving target, then it fluctuates....doesn't sound like a hard cap at all.

The top 51 contracts cannot exceed $155.27M.

For the moving target example, RI is currently not 1 of the top 51. If he signs he will be and it will bump someone else out.

You guys are over-thinking this. The NFL has a salary cap. Doesn't matter if that cap is hard, soft or somewhere i between, it only applies to salary. If we've used up our allocated amount of salary for the coming league year, why don't we just agree to pay Incognito on an hourly basis, instead of paying him a salary? As far as I know, the NFL doesn't have a wage cap.

Maybe the Bills have old payroll software that can't handle the high hourly wage figure that would be required, sort of like when the Y2k software bug caused all sorts of problems at the turn of the century. But if we figured out a way to solve the Y2k software problem, we ought to be able to fix the payroll software, too.

How about we just let the Bills worry about the cap. None of us have any clue what goes on behind closed doors with them anyway. We just guess.

Nice. Let me guess ... you're one of these guys who doesn't vote because "it doesn't mean anything." right??

You guys are over-thinking this. The NFL has a salary cap. Doesn't matter if that cap is hard, soft or somewhere i between, it only applies to salary. If we've used up our allocated amount of salary for the coming league year, why don't we just agree to pay Incognito on an hourly basis, instead of paying him a salary? As far as I know, the NFL doesn't have a wage cap.

Maybe the Bills have old payroll software that can't handle the high hourly wage figure that would be required, sort of like when the Y2k software bug caused all sorts of problems at the turn of the century. But if we figured out a way to solve the Y2k software problem, we ought to be able to fix the payroll software, too.

Lol. This is certainly a crayonz like post.

Nice. Let me guess ... you're one of these guys who doesn't vote because "it doesn't mean anything." right??

That's what you got from his post? Comparing voting to understanding the NFL salary cap......Brilliant

Isn't this your post?

(in my best Brandon Dassey voice) ... Yeah.

Fergy, let me help you out.

The best way to think of it is what the players in each sport have on their heads when they're playing their position in a game.

Basketball - they're nekkid, so they've got No Cap.

Bas-a-boll - they wear soft cloth hats, so there's a Soft Cap.

Foosball on the other hand - they wear hard helmuts, so there's a Hard Cap.

I know it can be a bit confusing, but see for yourself:

Michael-Jordan-Net-Worth.jpg

PabloSandoval-640x426.jpg

USATSI_8869830.jpg

This is the best explanation. Even I can understand it.

Edited by hondo in seattle

So glad you guys are having a chuckle at my expense..but the fact remains, we have a 27 million soft luxury user tax that Pegula hasn't even thought to use yet. Who the hell is manning the ship over there?

I think the fact remains that we don't actually.

Wrong - I just mailed in my ballot for the primary out here. Not sure what that has to do with my comment, but whatever.

I do feel my vote matters, what doesn't matter is arguing about something that doesn't exist(NFL luxury tax).

Edited by klos63

So glad you guys are having a chuckle at my expense..but the fact remains, we have a 27 million soft luxury user tax that Pegula hasn't even thought to use yet. Who the hell is manning the ship over there?

You really need to stop...you're making inaccurate, ridiculous comments. There is no luxury tax in the NFL and this thread should close.

Wrong - I just mailed in my ballot for the primary out here. Not sure what that has to do with my comment, but whatever.

I do feel my vote matters, what doesn't matter is arguing about something that doesn't exist(NFL luxury tax).

Keep the blinders on all you want, but if we dont figure out an alternative to a hard cap or learn to stay under it, we may not have a team this year.

But keep drinkin' the NFL koolaid, and then throw your vote away on Rand Paul.