Why don't the Pegulas take advantage of the NFL Luxury Tax?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's about the long and short of it.

You can of course be over the cap but not once the league year starts... you must be within the cap for your top 51 by the start of the league year. Hence putting the tag on Glenn required Mario's release.

No, teams can't. Teams are PROJECTED to be over the cap for the following league year, but must be under the cap prior to the official start of league year. That date is March 9th this year.

The only exception is that if a player is released and the termination of the contract puts a team over, then that team has 7 days to get back under. The team cannot sign any additional players until it does.

No, teams can't. Teams are PROJECTED to be over the cap for the following league year, but must be under the cap prior to the official start of league year. That date is March 9th this year.

The only exception is that if a player is released and the termination of the contract puts a team over, then that team has 7 days to get back under. The team cannot sign any additional players until it does.

Gunner said teams have to be under by the start of the league year...

The NFL has what many interpret as a "soft cap" with teams going over the soft cap being charged with a per dollar tax for those amounts over the soft cap value. See Wikipedia and other sources. So the Pegulas could simply pay some large contracts and then pay a small tax for going over the soft cap threshold. I do recall there being discussion among several owners who wanted to move to a luxury tax model; just researched it and can't find the exact article but I believe the NFL By Laws were amended accordingly to impose a "soft luxury user tax" on teams over the limit. I'll keep searching and assume the Pegulas are putting their number crunchers on it as well.

Oh, okay. So, you are not joking. Oh, honey!

You started an aggressive thread based on not knowing or thinking you saw something on this? You may have seen an article saying they should go to this kind of system and some owners were interested possibly?!

And, nobody in the NFL circles, front offices or media has mentioned this option and who is taking advantage of it.

OMG! Oh, honey, no....

You tellin' me some of these teams like the Patriots and Seahawks don't go over the cap?? Ever??

None!!

Are you telling me you suspect they do? Or that you think they may based on nothing?

Not in an official contractual way. But they circumvent the cap by co-investing in businesses owned by a prima dona whiny QBs.

Do I believe Kraft pays Brady some other way, sure! But, that is the exception, not the rule. And, Kraft and Brady cheating is new, so, they can have a pass.

Oh, okay. So, you are not joking. Oh, honey!

You started an aggressive thread based on not knowing or thinking you saw something on this? You may have seen an article saying they should go to this kind of system and some owners were interested possibly?!

And, nobody in the NFL circles, front offices or media has mentioned this option and who is taking advantage of it.

OMG! Oh, honey, no....

None!!

Are you telling me you suspect they do? Or that you think they may based on nothing?

Do I believe Kraft pays Brady some other way, sure! But, that is the exception, not the rule. And, Kraft and Brady cheating is new, so, they can have a pass.

You haven't even addressed the LT or the Soft Luxury User Tax that they were considering. I heard what I heard and read what I read. Sorry if it bothers you.

If Brady is paid other ways (as you agreed) then is he not exploiting the Soft Luxury User Tax as discussed above?? Kraft is scum.

Gunner said teams have to be under by the start of the league year...

His original post (and some others) were a little confusing. I was just trying to clarify that teams actually can't go over the cap. They can be set up to go over in a future year, but have to be in compliance before that league year starts. Not trying to nitpick, just clarify.

Edited by BarleyNY

I see so many teams signing their best players year after year (you telling me Bob Kraft isn't paying some luxury tax to the NFL for signing Brady to another extension)...what about the Steelers (Big Ben, L. Bell, WR's etc), the Broncos (with Manning, Von Miller, D. Thomas). The list goes on and on of teams that are paying a luxury tax because they go over the salary cap. The article I read awhile ago said the owners approved a bastardized version of the NBA and MLB luxury tax, so why not go ahead and spend money on our good players to retain them and to attract bigger stars.

The rule is in place for a reason...pay a little tax if you go over the cap and, in exchange, you get good players.

You would think someone who takes the time to post would at the very least take the time to research whether his basic premise has any basis in reality. A luxury tax in the NFL? Idiot!

You would think someone who takes the time to post would at the very least take the time to research whether his basic premise has any basis in reality. A luxury tax in the NFL? Idiot!

I think he might be yanking everyone's chain.

You haven't even addressed the LT or the Soft Luxury User Tax that they were considering. I heard what I heard and read what I read. Sorry if it bothers you.

If Brady is paid other ways (as you agreed) then is he not exploiting the Soft Luxury User Tax as discussed above?? Kraft is scum.

Tell us more about exploiting the SLUT Fergy. :lol:

Edited by Nanker

I think this thread should be locked at this point to avoid further embarrassment especially for Fergy ;-)

No one has disproven the S L User Tax yet and I believe it is a viable option to give teams more freedom to pick and choose the best players (even if they go over the "cap"). If you google it, I think you'll find Jerry Jones has taken advantage of the Soft Luxury User Tax in the past. Those who maintain the NFL deals strictly with a hard "cap" may not understand how teams can finesse the user tax to get what they want and still abide by NFL guidelines.

No one has disproven the S L User Tax yet and I believe it is a viable option to give teams more freedom to pick and choose the best players (even if they go over the "cap"). If you google it, I think you'll find Jerry Jones has taken advantage of the Soft Luxury User Tax in the past. Those who maintain the NFL deals strictly with a hard "cap" may not understand how teams can finesse the user tax to get what they want and still abide by NFL guidelines.

Fergy, I promise you that it is not real. You may be thinking about teams restructuring deals and paying more in actual cash on a particular year than the cap? For example when the Bills restructured Clay this year he gets that whole bonus now but the cap portion gets spread over the remainder of the deal. So next year it will count against the cap but he won't actually collect that again. It all evens out.

His original post (and some others) were a little confusing. I was just trying to clarify that teams actually can't go over the cap. They can be set up to go over in a future year, but have to be in compliance before that league year starts. Not trying to nitpick, just clarify.

I don't think it was at all confusing personally. I don't disagree with anything you said, but not sure what about my post confused you.

Fergy, I promise you that it is not real. You may be thinking about teams restructuring deals and paying more in actual cash on a particular year than the cap? For example when the Bills restructured Clay this year he gets that whole bonus now but the cap portion gets spread over the remainder of the deal. So next year it will count against the cap but he won't actually collect that again. It all evens out.

Yep.... which was the accusation against Ralph in the Littman era... we never spent more in any single year than the cap we ran a cash to cap strategy.

I don't think it was at all confusing personally. I don't disagree with anything you said, but not sure what about my post confused you.

Yep.... which was the accusation against Ralph in the Littman era... we never spent more in any single year than the cap we ran a cash to cap strategy.

Correct, it is a strategy that a lot of teams employ (or at least they did at the time). Basically, in years where you have a lot of dead cap those teams are spending less actual cash on the current roster to balance it out.

No, that is what is in basketball and baseball. The NFL has a hard cap.

Never

Isnt there a way to switch caps for a year or two and pay a penalty? Basically, go from being hard, to being soft, and then get hard again?

Need an expert to weigh in here...

Isnt there a way to switch caps for a year or two and pay a penalty? Basically, go from being hard, to being soft, and then get hard again?

Need an expert to weigh in here...

No, that's kind of how the luxury tax works though. The teams that are in the luxury tax pay a higher percentage each year. You will see teams try to get under the luxury tax to avoid paying the "repeater tax" percentage. If you want to read more on it you can google "Miami Heat Beno Udrich buyout." They basically cut a shady deal to slide under the repeater tax and angered the rest of the league.