New deal for Tyrod Taylor?

YoloinOhio

A bridge deal is possible. A deal structured like Kaepernick is something that I'd like to see. For those of you that aren't familiar http://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-contract-2014-12.

At any rate this could be good and it could be bad. The Bills certainly get Taylor cheaper now than they would a year from now if he performs the same. It is definitely riskier to do it now but it isn't necessarily bad. It's only bad if he regresses.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to fear this at all. This is a good sign. Whaley and co should be turning over every stone with all of their players based on their current evaluations and internal assessments. Taylor has huge upside so it makes sense to stake a larger claim into him. Obviously you wouldn't want to see them just turn the keys over to him with a Fitzpatrick-like deal, but you also can't be in the situation where he plays lights-out this year and then all of the sudden becomes a unrestricted FA. It's called due-diligence.

It's obvious to just wait. Make sure he is a franchise QB, then give him a fair deal. What's the point, and everyone who says pay him, well with what money. Do you want to cut 10 starters and we go 2-14 next year to get that done? Maybe that is an exaggeration, but why. We paid for Fitz too early.

Be smart. Make sure he develops to a stud, and then he will get a very nice contract, and we should be in a more healthy state to do the deal.

BTW- Restructuring a bunch of contracts only kicks your salary issues down the road and perpetuates a problem to not sign other solid starters. Don't be impulsive and overspend.

It certainly makes sense to have discussions. If he and his agent are willing to accept a reasonable deal, great. If not, let things play out. I don't expect the Bills to be running to the table with a $100m deal right now.

Agreed. I'm thinking they're just feeling out what he and his agent are thinking at this point, and whether a deal that protects the team (in case he stinks or is injured) is even possible.

Extend his contract for an additional year maybe two with a decent bump. If after two more years he plays at the same or better then pay him market value. We have struggled so much at this position, the toughest position in all of sports. We cant afford to loss TT If he does play at a high level next year he will demand and get a lot more in Bu$$alo or somewhere else

Tyrod and EJ are both free agents after the season. It makes sense to be proactive now

Most likely a reasonable deal that protects them.

It certainly makes sense to have discussions. If he and his agent are willing to accept a reasonable deal, great. If not, let things play out. I don't expect the Bills to be running to the table with a $100m deal right now.

Agree completely. There's no harm in having a conversation, especially if there's a way to structure a deal that gives Taylor some security and protects the Bills down the line. If not, like maddog says, let it play out. What's the issue?

that was my thought too

Just because the Seahawks got away with underpaying Russell Wilson doesn't make that the way you treat a starting QB. Tyrod earned a bump for his play last year. A bridge deal with a small raise and a commitment to redo it if he outplays his contract. Never hurts to show some love.

Most likely a reasonable deal that protects them.

Maybe they are visiting it because they are struggling coming to terms with Gilmore long term? And, they will need to use the TAG on Gilmore? And, cant use it on Gilmore and TT next offseadon. Pure speculation, but, it seems a variable in the thought process has changed.

How does a team that pays it's QB's peanuts, and hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years, end up with the "worst cap situation in the league"?

Great question and the majority of the Bills fans are completely happy with the current front office is what bothers me. So many highly paid free agents because they fail to find that top talent in the draft.

While I like TT and would think that an extended contract to keep him as a Bill while he develops is a good thing. Paying the kid anywhere near starting money is the wrong thing to do and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that happening.

Taylor was very effective in 2015 in Roman's complex run centric offense. However, fans need to remember there were many games that Taylor struggled greatly in when he was forced to carry the game. Opposing teams in the AFC will be more prepared this season to face a running QB.

Things may not improve much if the team doesn't fix the defense or the problems at RT-RG. Then they may go right into the toilet if either Incognito, Glenn or both aren't retained.

Great question and the majority of the Bills fans are completely happy with the current front office is what bothers me. So many highly paid free agents because they fail to find that top talent in the draft.

While I like TT and would think that an extended contract to keep him as a Bill while he develops is a good thing. Paying the kid anywhere near starting money is the wrong thing to do and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that happening.

Taylor was very effective in 2015 in Roman's complex run centric offense. However, fans need to remember there were many games that Taylor struggled greatly in when he was forced to carry the game. Opposing teams in the AFC will be more prepared this season to face a running QB.

Things may not improve much if the team doesn't fix the defense or the problems at RT-RG. Then they may go right into the toilet if either Incognito, Glenn or both aren't retained.

I pretty much feel the same way about Taylor, but I like Whaley (he didn't give Mario Williams or Fitz all that money), though I think his eye for talent might be better than his Salary Cap skills.

Isn't Jim Overdorf is in charge of the salary cap? He's the contract guy.

Maybe, but regardless Whaley certainly has a big influence on who gets signed, who is released, who is kept, and determining their worth, no? Is that crazy talk?

Perhaps my terminology was misappropriate ("Salary Cap skills")...my apologies. Nice to see you again, Greggy!

Edited by HoF Watkins