Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utilization related? Yea maybe that's a part of the reason but the guy gave up. He quit. You are completely ignoring that fact.

Williams had no problem playing in a Mike Pettine schem, which wasn't tailored to Williams. He had no problem playing in a Wade Phillips scheme, who ha wasn't tailored to him.

So if Mario can't tell his coaches he's being used incorrectly, then how do you feel about Wakins running to his agent and the media telling them he's not being thrown to enough? The "he quit" narrative doesn't have much backing it up. Mario sure seemed frustrated at times, but saying he quit is just hyperbole. You know who quit? Harvin. That's quitting. And you're ignoring my point about the team losing a good bit of talent when Mario is released. He had good years up until this past one and I suspect he'll have another good one in 2016 somewhere else. How does that help the Bills?

As far as Mario complaining that he shouldn't have to drop into coverage..................Bruce Smith dropped into coverage a few times during most games. Instead of complaining about it, he worked to get better at it and was pretty good for a guy his size. The reason for having D Linemen dropping into coverage is to throw a wrinkle at the QB and the O-Line. Having a QB like Brady knowing where the D linemen are going to be on every play isn't a good idea.

Didn't a Panthers DLineman get an interception during the Superbowl because he had dropped into coverage?

Still kind of hoping he extends under a much cheaper deal, but I don't think he has any interest in staying here for less money. He's probably going to sign with a legit football team for a reasonable deal. New DE in one of the first two rounds of the draft?

Would not be surprised. NT and ILB in FA. DE in the draft. All needs and makes most sense dollarwise.

So if Mario can't tell his coaches he's being used incorrectly, then how do you feel about Wakins running to his agent and the media telling them he's not being thrown to enough? The "he quit" narrative doesn't have much backing it up. Mario sure seemed frustrated at times, but saying he quit is just hyperbole. You know who quit? Harvin. That's quitting. And you're ignoring my point about the team losing a good bit of talent when Mario is released. He had good years up until this past one and I suspect he'll have another good one in 2016 somewhere else. How does that help the Bills?

Really? I mean other than his teammates saying he quit, it was blatantly obvious. Barring some unknown injury that robbed him of his former explosion off the ball or limited his usual elite hand and arm use, there is no other explanation. It was plain as day and it's on film forever.

As for Sammy, if he quit in the same manner, we'd be all over him. But he didn't. Quite the opposite in fact; it served to motivate him it seemed. He played like he had a reason to show WHY he complained about not getting the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't a Panthers DLineman get an interception during the Superbowl because he had dropped into coverage?

Ealy would have been MVP if the Panthers pulled it out, imo.

GO BILLS!!!

Where did I say he can't complain? Sure he can complain all the he wants but I'd still expect effort to be put forward. Was Watkins criticized ever for giving up on plays?

And yes the Bills are losing talent with Mario, but they are only losing potential talent. The talent on the field that Mario put forward is easily replaceable.

It most certainly is about recognizing that the coaches miss utilized him because it destroys the entire reason he and the other D-linemen were being paid so much money to rush the passer. Two hundred and fifty million or 28% of the payroll was miss-used this past year.

To ignore that is just sticking the head in the sand....

Marcell Dareus is a 1or 3 technique pass rush tackle and isn't a zero technique nose tackle or a 5 tech fit at DE in a 3-4 and he has been complaining about how he was being utilized all year so should the Bills cut ties with him too?

More importantly do you think he would have signed a new contract with the Buffalo Bills had he known he would be playing in a thankless position at nose so that the scrubs at LBer can make the plays? The man is still brilliant at what he did this year but the fact remains he didn't like it and was very vocal about it.

So now that the Bills spent a few seasons and hundreds of millions of dollars building a dominate 4-3 defensive line. Then they go on to hire a 3-4 head coach who will tear that all apart to build a scheme he wants to run rather than what best suits the players on the roster. There was a real reason the team went from #1 in the NFL in QB sacks, hits, hurries to 31st and it has more to do with the scheme than the players.

I get that the Bills are keeping Ryan as HC and this doesn't mean I'm supposed to be happy about it and go along with it because the losers in charge want to maintain that losing continuity,

You can choose to dwell on the past or you can get on the train for the future....its your choice.

And Im not saying you are wrong to be upset....I am saying the train has left the station and now your crying over the spilt milk.

The question is how does it get fixed going forward.

I really get a kick out of it when people act like Mario Williams isn't an amazing DE.

This year is his outlier. It could be his fault, it could be Rex Ryan's fault - I actually don't care. He is a damn good DE. I cannot imagine a scenario where losing him will improve the roster.

I really get a kick out of it when people act like Mario Williams isn't an amazing DE.

This year is his outlier. It could be his fault, it could be Rex Ryan's fault - I actually don't care. He is a damn good DE. I cannot imagine a scenario where losing him will improve the roster.

I actually hope he goes somewhere and has a great season....no ill will at him at all

but there IS the possibility that Mario has hit the wall.....he is not a spring chicken anymore. I will say it again...Alex Carrington came in and gave us the exact same production and Alex will NEVER be considered a top DE in the NFL.

Time will tell

Edited by John from Hemet

I know. GG always points to the Nelson drop when we talk about the "myth" of the 2014 defense. I was poking fun at him.

So effectively one play, maybe one series, per season. Got their money's worth, right?

This shouldn't even be a question about this decision.

The guy has all the talent in the world, but he's the furthest thing you want from a team game. We can look at a lot of things in the rear view mirror, and see why Bills landed him four years ago without much competition. It was a perfect fit for a guy who was looking to cash in with a franchise desperate for relevance. Look at the terms and conditions of the deal. It wasn't just the money. He probably was worth the market value for that contract. But it's the other stuff that set him apart ... in the locker room ... in the ultimate team sport.

The guy is not a team player and we saw that. Look at all the worries about Wade coming to Houston and concerns about Mario's role. The concern was there because Houston knew that Williams could flake. It was a contract year and Mario needed to do what's good for Mario. But he only played in four games and you have no idea how the rest of the year would play out. But the Mario question was always hovering over the team. Not the team player question, but the Mario question.

Fast forward to 2015 and Mario is in another effective contract year, but now he's in a scheme where he can't pad the stats, and the bad Mario comes out.

Yes Bills will loose a very talented player. But they will also be done with a horrible quitting team mate.

Good riddance.

Where did I say he can't complain? Sure he can complain all the he wants but I'd still expect effort to be put forward. Was Watkins criticized ever for giving up on plays?

And yes the Bills are losing talent with Mario, but they are only losing potential talent. The talent on the field that Mario put forward is easily replaceable.

Yes, at the very end of the 2015 season after rumors of the team planning to cut him in the offseason surfaced Mario did seem to give up - and he was criticized by one anonymous teammate for quitting. Did that ever happen before in his career? I have a difficult time believing that suddenly, at the end of his 10th season he became a malcontent.

The Bills didn't get a lot out of Mario this past season and what they did get is replaceable at a fraction of his cost. Plus he's getting toward the end of his career and it was never reasonable to think he'd see the end of his deal. I agree with you on all of that. But the coaching staff utilized him specifically - and the other defensive players generally - very poorly. Many of them were frustrated about the scheme and the results. Fans were too. Cutting Mario is not going to help any of those underlying problems.

I'm not as upset about losing Mario as I am with the general direction of the team. I don't like seeing people cheer this move because the underlying reasons are troubling. The way the Bills have spent and their consequent cap situation is going to mean that they'll likely have less talent on the team in 2016 than they did in 2015. Furrmore, the coaches have not allowed their defensive talent to perform through a scheme I'll-suited to most of them. So what will happen next offseason? I fear more purging of talented players that don't fit Rex's scheme. Players that have been effective for the Bills in the past and still could be if the scheme was better suited to them. I was a supporter of hiring Rex, but what happened this past season with the defense has made me reconsider. I will need to see a much better defense next year to bring me back over to his side.

Really? I mean other than his teammates saying he quit, it was blatantly obvious. Barring some unknown injury that robbed him of his former explosion off the ball or limited his usual elite hand and arm use, there is no other explanation. It was plain as day and it's on film forever.

As for Sammy, if he quit in the same manner, we'd be all over him. But he didn't. Quite the opposite in fact; it served to motivate him it seemed. He played like he had a reason to show WHY he complained about not getting the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Ealy would have been MVP if the Panthers pulled it out, imo.

GO BILLS!!!

re: Ealy - you are exactly right. He had a monster game.