Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

The truth is, when one looks at the Bills salary cap, it is hard to see that they have any choice but to cut Mario Williams this year.

That he had a poor year in terms of on-the-field production peppered with critique of the defensive scheme merely makes it easier

I question whether some of the "anonymous" reports of "checking out" aren't intended to "scapegoat" him and justify a cut which is necessitated by hard business reasons, because 1) scapegoating anyone makes me uncomfortable and 2) when someone has previously been successful in any field, and with a change of bosses is no longer successful, I think it's fair to tag the bosses a bit for failing to enable their success

But the fact remains that we need his $12.9M cap savings to have a prayer to sign Incognito and Glenn

if Wawrow had not weighed on this a few times I would see this as more than a possibility. Wawrow won't and can't publish hearsay or nonsense. He knows this team as much or better as any other WNY journalist. He knows the inside story even if he's not talking about,

I have often thought the source to a lot of the Pro-Rex, anti-Mario statements could be IK Ekiminikipunchedgenoguy.

This entire beginning of rex ryan in Buffalo is much too alike his years in New Jersey.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. The 49ers saw their mistake and corrected it right away. Granted 8-8 is better than 5-11 but then look at who the Bills beat over the season and it should make the decision for change so much easier.

This team keeps making these grabs for high priced free agents because they fail to find them in the draft. The Bills needed a pass rusher since Aaron Schobel retired after the 2009 season. Aaron Maybin ring any bells? So, 100 Million for as DE was a stab to find another Bruce Smith, and they found him! Only to see him ruined this year in the wrong scheme. Imagine how vocal Bruce would have been being used as a gap control player.

Someone mentioned finding someone in the draft to replace Mario Williams or Cordy Glenn and I'll be shocked if they actually find the talent at either position to do that. Looking back, I think the Bills were exceedingly lucky to find Glenn with a #2 pick considering the O-line players drafted since.

There are real reasons this team spent 100 million on Mario or excessive money for an RB (Shady), TE (Clay)and 3 draft picks for a WR including two first rounders when they could have stayed pat and gotten an equal or better player. This without an already established franchise QB on the roster. OTOH, if they couldn't trade up for Sammy I now recall the Bills were going to draft TE Eric Ebron :sick: Right?

Bottom line: this team needs more than just a new HC. These new owners started off on the right foot thinking of hiring a senior NFL adviser / football czar and or a president of football operations and then they didn't.

Franchises win Super Bowls without football czar advisers. So please provide a compelling reason why the Bills should try to win a SB with a different formula?

In military organizations, there's a concept called "unity of command." You want a clear chain of command. There can be no confusion about who's in charge. If you bring in a czar, it might muddy the waters. Who's in charge? The Pegulas? The Czar? Russ Brandon? DW? Rex?

Right now, things are clean. Russ runs the business. DW handles personnel. And Rex coaches. If the Pegulas don't trust these guys to do their jobs, they shouldn't retain them.

Incidentally, in 1980 Operation Eagle Claw to rescue the hostages in Iran failed partly because of 'unity of command' issues. Good folks died, no one was rescued, and America was humiliated partially because it wasn't clear who was in charge. Effing with unity of command is a recipe for disaster.