Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So effectively one play, maybe one series, per season. Got their money's worth, right?

This shouldn't even be a question about this decision.

The guy has all the talent in the world, but he's the furthest thing you want from a team game. We can look at a lot of things in the rear view mirror, and see why Bills landed him four years ago without much competition. It was a perfect fit for a guy who was looking to cash in with a franchise desperate for relevance. Look at the terms and conditions of the deal. It wasn't just the money. He probably was worth the market value for that contract. But it's the other stuff that set him apart ... in the locker room ... in the ultimate team sport.

The guy is not a team player and we saw that. Look at all the worries about Wade coming to Houston and concerns about Mario's role. The concern was there because Houston knew that Williams could flake. It was a contract year and Mario needed to do what's good for Mario. But he only played in four games and you have no idea how the rest of the year would play out. But the Mario question was always hovering over the team. Not the team player question, but the Mario question.

Fast forward to 2015 and Mario is in another effective contract year, but now he's in a scheme where he can't pad the stats, and the bad Mario comes out.

Yes Bills will loose a very talented player. But they will also be done with a horrible quitting team mate.

Good riddance.

I'd appreciate your points a little more if I knew you held them prior to 2015. Seems to be a little revisionist.

IMO, the Bills landed him because they paid the most, period. If you want to contend Mario is a mercenary over a locker room leader, I wouldn't disagree. Horrible teammate? That's going a little far. Mario also wasn't in a contract year, but it technically may have been as his cap hit was rising and a restructure/extension was necessary or he was going to be released.

He's a net positive to me. This team is better with Mario on it. Is his loss the worst thing ever? No. If I had to pick who we lost this offseason between him and Kyle Williams, it's him, no question. But there are hundreds of Mario's in the NFL. They are on winning teams and losing teams and everyone in between.

The "Mario question" is more of a media driven narrative than anything else. No one bats an eye when a WR (like our very own Sammy Watkins) quits on his routes. When he publicly complains about his targets and numbers, the excuse is that "he's right, getting Sammy more involved probably leads to more wins." Why can't the same be said about Mario? Why can't scheming to get Mario 15 sacks a year not also be said lead to more wins? The argument that the player is in the "right," would hold for Rex's scheme too, no? You yourself even admit that Rex messed up this season and the defense was bad.

Mario quitting is unacceptable. But there's a fine-line between Mario's antics and virtually the rest of the league, and he's hardly the only one to dance it.

Edited by FireChan

Yep....or maybe the nail was dropping from #4 defense to below #15

Or not letting EJ get any 1st team reps before demoting him.

Or his horrible game management skills

Or hiring his !@#$ing brother, who has sucked for nearly his entire career

For the first time in my life as a Bills fan, I am close to wanting them to suck just so this ass hole gets fired. But I don't want Whaley to go, so I'm torn.

For the first time in my life as a Bills fan, I am close to wanting them to suck just so this ass hole gets fired. But I don't want Whaley to go, so I'm torn.

Well, the first one you list likely saved him a bit....

Utilization related? Yea maybe that's a part of the reason but the guy gave up. He quit. You are completely ignoring that fact.

Williams had no problem playing in a Mike Pettine schem, which wasn't tailored to Williams. He had no problem playing in a Wade Phillips scheme, who ha wasn't tailored to him.

You are ignoting the fact that both DCs you mentioned had him do the same thing.... 1 gap EAT THE QB

It most certainly is about recognizing that the coaches miss utilized him because it destroys the entire reason he and the other D-linemen were being paid so much money to rush the passer. Two hundred and fifty million or 28% of the payroll was miss-used this past year.

This is same BS you have posted before - $250 Million dollars was NOT mis-used because that is the cost of all the contracts IF all of the years were included and all milestones reached not a single year AND since Mario appears to be going to be cut he will not get all of the money in future years either.

You post like you are a mob bookie with two sets of books and you are mixing them up.

I agree and its good to know that somebody out there other than myself gets it. I kinda feel like its wasting time writing this stuff because most fans here either don't buy into it or would rather ignore it.

It IS hard to write good fiction.

Didn't a Panthers DLineman get an interception during the Superbowl because he had dropped into coverage?

Stop including facts into this facts-free discussion!

Yes. And Von Miller did in the AFCC against NE.

Again this a fictional account, you need to stay on topic.

I'd appreciate your points a little more if I knew you held them prior to 2015. Seems to be a little revisionist.

IMO, the Bills landed him because they paid the most, period. If you want to contend Mario is a mercenary over a locker room leader, I wouldn't disagree. Horrible teammate? That's going a little far. Mario also wasn't in a contract year, but it technically may have been as his cap hit was rising and a restructure/extension was necessary or he was going to be released.

He's a net positive to me. This team is better with Mario on it. Is his loss the worst thing ever? No. If I had to pick who we lost this offseason between him and Kyle Williams, it's him, no question. But there are hundreds of Mario's in the NFL. They are on winning teams and losing teams and everyone in between.

The "Mario question" is more of a media driven narrative than anything else. No one bats an eye when a WR (like our very own Sammy Watkins) quits on his routes. When he publicly complains about his targets and numbers, the excuse is that "he's right, getting Sammy more involved probably leads to more wins." Why can't the same be said about Mario? Why can't scheming to get Mario 15 sacks a year not also be said lead to more wins? The argument that the player is in the "right," would hold for Rex's scheme too, no? You yourself even admit that Rex messed up this season and the defense was bad.

Mario quitting is unacceptable. But there's a fine-line between Mario's antics and virtually the rest of the league, and he's hardly the only one to dance it.

Always been a bit skeptical about the motivations, especially after hearing about the personal fridge in the locker. Concern grew after a very bad start in his first season as excuses piled up. Now it makes sense why there weren't too many other bidders for him. I'm guessing people were concerned back then in how he would fit with their team. Bills needed to make a splash, other teams didn't.

Of course it's easier to see it in a rear view mirror, but jw has got it right. Super talented, but not the guy you build a defense around. This will be an addition by subtraction.

Always been a bit skeptical about the motivations, especially after hearing about the personal fridge in the locker. Concern grew after a very bad start in his first season as excuses piled up. Now it makes sense why there weren't too many other bidders for him. I'm guessing people were concerned back then in how he would fit with their team. Bills needed to make a splash, other teams didn't.

Of course it's easier to see it in a rear view mirror, but jw has got it right. Super talented, but not the guy you build a defense around. This will be an addition by subtraction.

Seriously?

Excuses piled up? Are you insinuating Wannstedt's defense was just an excuse?

Williams was speculated to be the second most sought after FA back in 2012. The Bills were reported to have made plans to get him for an entire year. They put on the full court press and offered him the biggest payday.

I can give you one reason why the rest of the NFL may not have seemed interested. Peyton Manning was on the market. How many teams were going after Peyton first and how many who weren't were able to pay Mario what we did? Probably a small number of teams in that grouping.

It will only be addition by subtraction because we've stacked the equation.

I really get a kick out of it when people act like Mario Williams isn't an amazing DE.

This year is his outlier. It could be his fault, it could be Rex Ryan's fault - I actually don't care. He is a damn good DE. I cannot imagine a scenario where losing him will improve the roster.

He is an amazing DE; one of the best. Which makes his decision to quit that much more intolerable.

Deciding to quit was ENTIRELY his fault, nobody else's. Regardless of Ryan's inability to adapt, regardless of his dissatisfaction with Ryan's schemes and how he was used in them. Fact is, he has the athletic ability to do what he was asked but he let his disgruntlement get in the way of that.

One could argue the roster would be improved by inserting a less talented player who gives maximum effort vs. keeping a superior talent who gives little to none. In reviewing game tapes, it was like we were playing with 10 guys on defense at times. Easy to see how his teammate said he'd "take two steps and stop", because it jumps out at you.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep....or maybe the nail was dropping from #4 defense to below #15

your point would make sense if the players were the same

Firing ? Injury decimated defense , 2 games started by E.j and qb who never played before and he was 8-8 He actually did a good job. Lets not forget Shady missed a bunch of games .

EJ got 1st team reps in 2 games...but I understand what you are saying.

Point 2, yes too many TO left on the field

His brother is supposed to help to teach the team...time will tell

Don't be torn, pray for a SB win!

Just seeing this for the first time.

Quick question: what is the opposite of F5?

alt F4

ctrl F4 closes tab

ctrl + number goes to that tab.

ctrl shift t opens last closed tab

ctrl + shift + left click - new tab for link

and protip. don't just F5. CTRL F5 to just reload the page not the cache

CTL-ALT-DEL

wrong.

Edited by Boyst62