Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many above average QBs did Von Miller play with this year?

He played with a first ballot hall of famer. He didn't get first ballot HOF play, but having Peyton run your O invokes a strong sense of confidence in the D I am sure. And, truly, Wade is a way better D coordinator than Thurman and Rex combined. He understood the players and fit the scheme, something that Rex purportedly does, but really doesn't.

I hate the "his production doesn't match his pay" line of "reasoning" in this case. Mario performed at a very high level when utilized properly. It could be argued (and I have) that he was a little overcompensated, but his lack of production this past year was utilization related. The best coaches mold their schemes to fit talent/personnel and we sure didn't see that with Mario or the defense in general last season.

His release (when it inevitably happens) is going to be spun as an indictment of Mario, but it really should be seen as a coaching failure. The front office made their choices last offseason. They signed Clay, Shady and Hughes to huge deals and there's only so much money to go around. In fact, it's certainly possible that the coaches didn't tailor their scheme to fit Mario because they'd already decided he was gone after 2015. Regardless of his (mis)utilization last season, the Bills will be losing a lot of talent when he exits.

Utilization related? Yea maybe that's a part of the reason but the guy gave up. He quit. You are completely ignoring that fact.

Williams had no problem playing in a Mike Pettine schem, which wasn't tailored to Williams. He had no problem playing in a Wade Phillips scheme, who ha wasn't tailored to him.

Utilization related? Yea maybe that's a part of the reason but the guy gave up. He quit. You are completely ignoring that fact.

Williams had no problem playing in a Mike Pettine schem, which wasn't tailored to Williams. He had no problem playing in a Wade Phillips scheme, who ha wasn't tailored to him.

He was on pace to having his best season before he (tore his pec? I think?). But he was absolutely vocal about the scheme not being the best for him, IIRC.

He was on pace to having his best season before he (tore his pec? I think?). But he was absolutely vocal about the scheme not being the best for him, IIRC.

Rex's scheme is in fact a good fit him, he just didn't want to do what it took to make it work.

@christrapasso

At MW's size w/ power & minimal burst, he's ideal SDE in Rex's D. But MW doesn't want the role & can't pay SDE $20M.

May have been mad about his role, but burst was nonexistent this yr. Good run-stop DE. Not a 10-15 sack guy anymore.

Rex's scheme is in fact a good fit him, he just didn't want to do what it took to make it work.

@christrapasso

At MW's size w/ power & minimal burst, he's ideal SDE in Rex's D. But MW doesn't want the role & can't pay SDE $20M.

May have been mad about his role, but burst was nonexistent this yr. Good run-stop DE. Not a 10-15 sack guy anymore.

I was referring to Wade/Houston in 2011.

I am not blaming Rex for Mario's behavior. That's Mario's behavior. His alone

I'm blaming Rex for not being very good at his job to use a talent like Mario and to keep him satisfied. A good coach is a good manager. A good people person. And learns how to use premier talent.

I'm blaming Rex for not being very good at his job to use a talent like Mario and to keep him satisfied. A good coach is a good manager. A good people person. And learns how to use premier talent.

Please then provide justification for Mario's inability to beat blockers one-on-one. Rex detractors keep referencing Mario's skill...well, when given the opportunity to showcase those skills, Mario didn't. Period. And that's entirely on him.

Please then provide justification for Mario's inability to beat blockers one-on-one. Rex detractors keep referencing Mario's skill...well, when given the opportunity to showcase those skills, Mario didn't. Period. And that's entirely on him.

he was in the starting lineup. That's my justification. Rex either did not have anyone to replace him - clearly wrong. Or the balls to pull him

Why was he still playing?

Exactly. You would think Rex was playing him at safety or something. Did people not see Mario repeatedly handled 1 on 1?

As long as season tickets continue to be sold, not one person on One Bills Drive gives a schit about any of this. When winning becomes as important as selling season tickets, the Bills will start to win. Until then, get ready for the 17th year in a row.

But, by Jesus, the Bills will be "entertaining," on their way to another .500-ish record.

he was in the starting lineup. That's my justification. Rex either did not have anyone to replace him - clearly wrong. Or the balls to pull him

Why was he still playing?

Clearly wrong? I guess I'm missing the DE talent that was sitting on the bench...

Clearly wrong? I guess I'm missing the DE talent that was sitting on the bench...

you're not seeing the point if Mario was not beating blockers AND not giving effort wouldn't anyone be better? Wouldn't a good coach do something about it?