Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

He stunk before the foot injury, which happened late in the season.

It actually happened right around when everyone said he "checked out" and wasn't winning one on ones. Post bye week.

He did what Rex asked prior to that. Rex scheme sucking wore thin with Mario.

Like I said, 10+ sacks next year. I guarantee it.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's really more about money, age, production. Mario has been a good player and citizen, he had a down year, now past his prime and can't justify the cap hit, he's replaceable at the level he's playing it regardless of what excuse he uses. Mo Wilkerson found a way to be all pro in this very scheme. That is the type of guy worth the contract Mario wants/has. Hes serviceable as a run stopper but not worth the money as it stands and it takes both parties to want to stay together to work a cap-assisting extension. His disruption in the media likely the icing on the cake.

You make too much sense

It pisses me off

CBF

I just wanna throw this out there

Alex Carrington (who nobody will confuse with top DE in the league) pretty much gave the exact same production Mario WIlliams did......and a fraction of the cost

I mean.....we want better then that....but it is going to be difficult to NOT find someone of Mario's production this past year for that spot...the chances of finding someone better is really good. A rookie in a year where there DL is considered the strength would be the smart play.

Im thinking this MW situation is too far gone to be resolved.

Even if some how Rex altered the defense to fit Mario's "scheme" I think too much has been said and reported for everyone to go back to business as usual

CBF

I agree, he called out the coach and staff twice and to be completely honest the guy played one very good year (2014) He mailed it in a lot.

I totally agree with this and to me, it is startling just how few Bills fans can really see or understand how the man was misused in Ryan's scheme or completely ignore that the Bills coaches themselves were happy, content with Mario's play all year. They even stated that they were happy that Mario was in pass coverage so the linebacker could get a hit on the QB to disrupt the play, and to my dismay, that lone hit was the only time the Bills defense touched the QB all game long.

Plus the fact that the #3 overall pick, hell on wheels DT was complaining about how he was being utilized since training camp and after a few games Mario joined him in being publically vocal about how he was being utilized too. Bills fans just rack this up with players being selfish and not buying into the scheme.

Anyway, I've posted this link in the past and its a good read for those that actually want to understand what was happening on the field. http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

Its not about not recognizing that the coaches misused him.....its understanding that those same coaches are not going anywhere......so it is time to move onto what those coaches feel THEY need at the position

To ignore that is just sticking the head in the sand....

Mario is still a good player

Mario is now getting on in years

Mario is expensive

Mario does not fit the current defensive scheme of the current coaches

Mario is gone

It actually happened right around when everyone said he "checked out" and wasn't winning one on ones. Post bye week.

He did what Rex asked prior to that. Rex scheme sucking wore thin with Mario.

Like I said, 10+ sacks next year. I guarantee it.

Your probably right

but

It really doesnt matter at this point. THe bills are going another direction.

Did anybody ever do an official count of how many times Mario Williams was singled against a RT and could not beat his man? It seemed like the entire season, although he had to deal with chips from TE's and RB's now and then like any NFL DE.

My unofficial count is 75% of the plays he was asked to play the same role as he was the previous year, beat the guy in front of you, pressure the qb, push the pocket, stop the run, try to anticipate the screen play.

He plays the screen's excellent, as good as Kyle. Other than that, the dude was invisible.

This whole whining about dropping into coverage (like the play in the superbowl where Peyton got picked by a dropping DE), is getting overblown.

The nice thing about Mario's situation is someone will pick him up and we'll see if it was scheme or player.

I think it was the player, but as long as he goes the the NFC I'm rooting for the big fella.

Exactly; when Darius got new contract I think he thought they would restructure his giving him more money lengthening it and they didn't so his attitude changed. His goal was to end season healthy and get a new bonus.

Its not about not recognizing that the coaches misused him.....its understanding that those same coaches are not going anywhere......so it is time to move onto what those coaches feel THEY need at the position

To ignore that is just sticking the head in the sand....

Mario is still a good player

Mario is now getting on in years

Mario is expensive

Mario does not fit the current defensive scheme of the current coaches

Mario is gone

Sorry again, I don't buy that Marko doesn't fit the scheme.

He fit Pettines scheme just fine and he fit Wades scheme just fine, before he was injured. Both schemes asked him to play something other than what he wants to play. Mario was very vocal about when he first came to Buffalo that he wanted to play RDE in a 4-3 scheme.

And to top it off at 30/31 years old, the entire defense shouldn't be built around him and what he wants. JJ Watt can have a scheme built around him. Von Miller can have a scheme built around him, even though he has just adapted to whatever scheme he has been given.

He fit Pettines scheme just fine and he fit Wades scheme just fine, before he was injured. Both schemes asked him to play something other than what he wants to play. Mario was very vocal about when he first came to Buffalo that he wanted to play RDE in a 4-3 scheme.

And to top it off at 30/31 years old, the entire defense shouldn't be built around him and what he wants. JJ Watt can have a scheme built around him. Von Miller can have a scheme built around him, even though he has just adapted to whatever scheme he has been given.

Wayne,

Are we really not talking about the same thing?

If he doesnt want to put the effort into what he is being asked to do....he doesnt fit the scheme.

And of course we both agree on the age thing

Wayne,

Are we really not talking about the same thing?

If he doesnt want to put the effort into what he is being asked to do....he doesnt fit the scheme.

And of course we both agree on the age thing

We probably are saying the same thing but it's his choice not to fit it. I think he could fit the scheme if he bought in and put forth the effort.

"It's not the alignment, it's the assignment." Stop getting hung up on "scheme."

Mario was asked to play a lot of 5-tech with 2-gap responsibilities. That was not a priority of Pettine's or Wade's philosophies. Rex is hell-bent on stopping the run, and he was essentially asking the DL to stay home. That is clearly not the strength of our DL. I don't know if you noticed, but the rest of the DL was pretty much invisible all season (aside from Hughes' flags). Kyle Williams did absolutely nothing in the 6 games he was healthy, aside from occasionally lining up 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and getting a running start (WTF was that Rex?). Dareus did a great job of plugging his gaps on the line, but that's not what you paid him $90M dollars to do.

You're right that the entire defense shouldn't be built around him and what he wants. It should be built around what they do best -- and it certainly wasn't. Rex just took the best pass rushing DL in the entire league and effectively neutered it.

Asked another way, even if you don't count this year, was Mario worth the highest contract in Bills history at the time he signed it and has he delivered on that contract?

My memory is hazy, but over the span of 4 years, how many game changing plays/series did he deliver? Because that's what you expect from your highest paid player.