Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

You can choose to dwell on the past or you can get on the train for the future....its your choice.

And Im not saying you are wrong to be upset....I am saying the train has left the station and now your crying over the spilt milk.

The question is how does it get fixed going forward.

Sadly, I see this particular train is headed the wrong way.

Generally, when a new head coach and staff come in they tend make the team better unless it's a horribly bad roster. This was a playoff caliber defense that had three all pros from the previous season and those all pros were made to look very average to below average. This isn't me being upset or crying, It just stating some facts that seem to elude so many other fans.

Ryan blitzed less than 10% this past season while on the other end of the spectrum the Broncos blitzed 40% or more most of the time. So, now that the superstar at DE is going to be playing for a different team next year and Ryan suddenly decides he wants to blitz or actually rush the passer in 2016. Exactly who is going to be playing at DE to take over Mario's position? With Jerry Hughes being the lone outside rusher at DE opposing teams should have no problem containing him with no threat from the other side. I don't see the 2016 defense being better without Mario Williams.

The majority of Bills fans look at the 2015 defense and say it's all because Mario didn't buy in and stopped putting out effort. Kinda strange that the Buffalo Bills coaches are saying something completely different and were content with his play.

To answer the question of how it gets fixed going forward? Unfortunately, I don't ever see it ever getting fixed under the current regime.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is trustable a word?

: )

Thanks Jay!

just playin

So if Mario can't tell his coaches he's being used incorrectly, then how do you feel about Wakins running to his agent and the media telling them he's not being thrown to enough? The "he quit" narrative doesn't have much backing it up. Mario sure seemed frustrated at times, but saying he quit is just hyperbole. You know who quit? Harvin. That's quitting. And you're ignoring my point about the team losing a good bit of talent when Mario is released. He had good years up until this past one and I suspect he'll have another good one in 2016 somewhere else. How does that help the Bills?

Nope Watkins bitched, but he did not "quit"

I watched Williams closely all season. every single game.

Sometimes i really think you dont watch football. Especially the Bills.

But you do often make great points and add good dialogue regardless

But on this one you should let it go. Mario made a conscious decision. Regardless of any other influence.

re: Ealy - you are exactly right. He had a monster game.

sure did! get er done Buddy!

But honestly. Ealy stood out

Edited by 3rdand12

Seriously?

Excuses piled up? Are you insinuating Wannstedt's defense was just an excuse?

Williams was speculated to be the second most sought after FA back in 2012. The Bills were reported to have made plans to get him for an entire year. They put on the full court press and offered him the biggest payday.

I can give you one reason why the rest of the NFL may not have seemed interested. Peyton Manning was on the market. How many teams were going after Peyton first and how many who weren't were able to pay Mario what we did? Probably a small number of teams in that grouping.

It will only be addition by subtraction because we've stacked the equation.

you do recall watching Marios first year as a Bill, don't you?

maybe it was just the scheme..

A fitting end.

Maybe instead of Tempo, there will be an exit interview at Burger King.

Carrols perhaps?

He will be in Philly soon. Schwartz is somewhere smiling from ear to ear.

good call honestly. Him and V Curry could rock.

Sadly, I see this particular train is headed the wrong way.

It is def your right to think that way...Im just saying that it is going a certain way and no amount of lamenting what happened this past year is gonna change that....in this I am frustrated right along with you.....but what am I gonna do? Stop following the team? become a pats fan? No I have to wait and see how this plays out.

Generally, when a new head coach and staff come in they tend make the team better unless it's a horribly bad roster. This was a playoff caliber defense that had three all pros from the previous season and those all pros were made to look very average to below average. This isn't me being upset or crying, It just stating some facts that seem to elude so many other fans.

The defense went backward.....the offense went forward. TT is Rex Ryan's baby so lets lot act like he had nothing to do with that. The D went backward which is soley on RRs scheme change. HOWEVER....lets not act like RR has never had good defenses in the past.......he doesnt get the mantel of being a DC guru for nothing...he DOES know how to coach defense.....the problem is he took a perfectly good D and screwed it up...this does not mean that our bills D is forever going to be screwed up...it means that there will be a transition now.

Ryan blitzed less than 10% this past season while on the other end of the spectrum the Broncos blitzed 40% or more most of the time. So, now that the superstar at DE is going to be playing for a different team next year and Ryan suddenly decides he wants to blitz or actually rush the passer in 2016. Exactly who is going to be playing at DE to take over Mario's position? With Jerry Hughes being the lone outside rusher at DE opposing teams should have no problem containing him with no threat from the other side. I don't see the 2016 defense being better without Mario Williams.

Now...it is interesting that you bring up these percentages....because the Schwartz defenses were not about blitzing either....it was about getting pressure with the down linemen and the occasional timed blitz to keep run contain.....so if your percentages are true that is what RR did as well....I think the differences were asking down linemen to do things unfamiliar to them in complex schemes.......but if this is the case that blitzing was not the issues.....it was asking players to do things they were not used to doing.

The majority of Bills fans look at the 2015 defense and say it's all because Mario didn't buy in and stopped putting out effort. Kinda strange that the Buffalo Bills coaches are saying something completely different and were content with his play.

Once again....your lamenting over a season that has now passed....we will never get it back.....its over. However.....it will be really interesting to see how 2016 plays out with Mario WIllaims.......does everybody stop and think that Mario has simply hit the wall? Im not sure.....if Mario was still this great player he could have overcome RR's scheme......players make plays not schemes. Why did Hughes.....who 2 years ago I would say isnt close tot he player that Mario Williams is....adapt and be a playmaker in the offense?

You speak on a lot of things with Mario like they are fact.....but I present that they are not fact....we need to see how they look in 2016....what will you say if Mario goes to another team and is not the dominant player that he was prior to 2015?

The train has left the station....we now need to get RR the pieces that he needs to run HIS defense that will not be questioned by players......we need linebackers that can cover in space......resign Alex Carrington as his play was not a drop off from Mario's.....and draft in the hopes that a player will be better then Alex Carrington.

To answer the question of how it gets fixed going forward? Unfortunately, I don't ever see it ever getting fixed under the current regime.

...The majority of Bills fans look at the 2015 defense and say it's all because Mario didn't buy in and stopped putting out effort. ...

I don't know ONE fan, let alone the majority, that feels this way. Here in this community or elsewhere.

GO BILLS!!!

you do recall watching Marios first year as a Bill, don't you?

maybe it was just the scheme..

Love this one.

Look, let's agree- The scheme didn't make Mario suck,it just under utilized him and relegated him to a read, edge contain guy, which frustrated him so much he stopped trying and sucked.

sooo.... What you could kind of say is the scheme causes Mario to suck....

These guys are superhuman athletes. After that they probably have the same personality spread as a typical office. If you have someone loafing leadership needs to understand why and fix it.

Underperforming resources don't fly no matter what your business

Love this one.

Look, let's agree- The scheme didn't make Mario suck,it just under utilized him and relegated him to a read, edge contain guy, which frustrated him so much he stopped trying and sucked.

sooo.... What you could kind of say is the scheme causes Mario to suck....

These guys are superhuman athletes. After that they probably have the same personality spread as a typical office. If you have someone loafing leadership needs to understand why and fix it.

Underperforming resources don't fly no matter what your business

This.

It sucks that Mario got so frustrated that he basically quit on the field, and yes that points to flaw in his character, BUT if the coaching staff was competent and understood what they had and were able to coach up the talent they had to make the best use of their talents HE WOULDN'T HAVE QUIT.

People who want to point out specific plays where Mario don't dominate when he was 1-1 !) don't know if on that play he was not supposed to be rushing and was just supposed to be taking up space as part of the unholy scheme and 2) have to account for for the possibility where the coaching had basically destroyed his will to play due to their incompetence in making use of the talent they had. Professional or not - it's simply human nature.

There's no doubt in my mind Mario would have played at a high level last season if the coaching staff was competent in making use of the talent they had,

It's cause and effect. Incompetent coaching caused Mario's lost year. It's the coaches job to put the players in the best position to win, and get them to play at a high level. They failed.

JJ Watt and the Texans made the playoffs with crap QBs in 2015.

It's a ridiculous argument. Does every defensive player who played in Buffslo the last 16 years suck since they never made the playoffs? And the fact that a few teams have made the playoffs with lousy QBs doesn't validate it.

The majority of Bills fans look at the 2015 defense and say it's all because Mario didn't buy in and stopped putting out effort.

Hyperbole much?

This thread is about Mario Williams and I haven't read anywhere in it that the 2015 Bills defense failed because and only because of Mario Williams. I realize that you have a strong opinion on why you believe the defense failed but so far in this thread you have claimed that the rest of us don't "get it" if we criticize Mario's play and that we've stuck our heads in the sand. Now, the majority of fans blame Mario for the failures of the defense? I think if you read, you'll find that some fans are blaming Mario himself for the failure of his own season. Not the defense. The defense could have failed, which it did at times, and Mario could have failed himself as well. It's possible to be critical with Mario's play and also believe Rex Ryan got it wrong in 2015.

This.

It sucks that Mario got so frustrated that he basically quit on the field, and yes that points to flaw in his character, BUT if the coaching staff was competent and understood what they had and were able to coach up the talent they had to make the best use of their talents HE WOULDN'T HAVE QUIT.

People who want to point out specific plays where Mario don't dominate when he was 1-1 !) don't know if on that play he was not supposed to be rushing and was just supposed to be taking up space as part of the unholy scheme and 2) have to account for for the possibility where the coaching had basically destroyed his will to play due to their incompetence in making use of the talent they had. Professional or not - it's simply human nature.

There's no doubt in my mind Mario would have played at a high level last season if the coaching staff was competent in making use of the talent they had,

It's cause and effect. Incompetent coaching caused Mario's lost year. It's the coaches job to put the players in the best position to win, and get them to play at a high level. They failed.

what is this?

Give him another fridge kinda thinking?

If you ever saw Rex on the sideline during a crucial timeout calling plays he would often talk directly to Mario.

Maybe he just hated rex like you do? And was not going to give him the time of day.

I never ever said that Rex and his defense were NOT an issue.

But i watched Mario play/not.

The reason he was left on the field is because other teams still respected the threat he brings. Even when he did not " bring it "

Well, there's the fall guy- the scapegoat. Let's just move on. We'll see who the next year's sacrificial lamb will be. We know one thing though: our head coach, Rollo Tomasi, will never be to blame.

Exactly. Mario was the scapegoat for the mess that Ryan has created for the team. This does not make the team better. Now we waste the huge dead cap money this year and don't have it to make the team better. We still have to spend cap money to get a much inferior player to replace a great one.

The blame for this falls directly on Pegula, the owner. He made the horrible decision to hire Ryan, and instead of admitting his mistake and correcting it, he doubled up for next year. No blame on Doug.

Maybe it was not a bad decision business-wise to use Mario as a scapegoat, maybe it is better for the bottom line. But as a football decision, the team performance on the field will suffer. The real problem remains. And Rex will continue to destroy a once top tier defense.

Those out there may continue to worship at the alter of "Pegula the Savior" for keeping the team in Buffalo. But he has done almost nothing for the benefit of the fans since then. Business as usual from the previous ownership. Business first, quality on the field be damned!

i think he would have been released regardless. Cap casualty.

@michaeldavsmith

When Mario Williams signed it was reported as a six-year, $96M deal. When he's cut it will actually have been a four-year, $64M deal.

if he had a pro bowl season, he may have been released for cap reasons anyway. we got our 3-4 seasons out of him. let it go. move on

The reason he was left on the field is because other teams still respected the threat he brings. "

What is the reason Rex's scheme is left on the field? Because no one respects it or the threat it brings anymore.

It is sad to me that Mario will have a better season than the Bills defense next year but he will. No doubt and things like that.

I liked the Rex hire at the time and was way off. It is still good that Marrone is gone. I can also understand why Pegula is keeping Rex this year. A new owner firing a head coach after one year is a bad look. Sadly I think we have to sacrifice 2016 and possibly 2017. At least for 2016 I am going to try very hard not to get frustrated by the utter ineptitude. My expectations are very low...like giving up 30 a game low. At this point it is just part of the process.

This was basically announced when they paid Marcel Dareus, its hard to have 2 100 million dollar men on one team, let alone on your defensive line.

Scapegoat 2016 possibilities exist with MD but I have to guess that Rex won't be able to hide too much this year.

I can also understand why Pegula is keeping Rex this year. A new owner firing a head coach after one year is a bad look. Sadly I think we have to sacrifice 2016 and possibly 2017. At least for 2016 I am going to try very hard not to get frustrated by the utter ineptitude. My expectations are very low...like giving up 30 a game low. At this point it is just part of the process.

As someone who enjoys watching the game of football, I can not be this forgiving.

In Buffalo we have endured horrible football from "the home team" for almost a full decade and a half. I could care less about the owner's super inflated ego or the mega ego of the head coach he hired. I don't care if it is a "bad look" for his ego to fire a head coach who in just one year destroyed a top tier defense because of his own super ego. True football professionals respect just one thing, how successful are you at putting a winning team on the field. The money guys of the business just care about the bottom line. Ego is not about winning or loosing, or making money, it is all about the "I".

To me an owner should have some type of responsibility to the community and the fans to create the best possible product on the field, while still making a reasonable profit.

I don't give Pegula a pass just because he kept the team in Buffalo for at least a few years more. I still expect a real effort to put the best team on the field for the fans and the community each and every year.

Edited by simpleman