NFL abandonment of St. Louis ups the ante in Buffalo

boater

..is the Don Esmonde lede

I agree with most of what he says at http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/donn-esmonde/nfl-abandonment-of-st-louis-ups-the-ante-in-buffalo-20160123

Including the open ended statement: "Buffalo will thankfully be spared St. Louis’ fate. But in the game of stadium checkers, the pressure is on to keep up with the Kroenkes."

I think the current pressure to move is "low" ... but if the Bills lose the next two seasons, the pressure is a red hot blowout to move.

Opinion.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On reflection, I disagree with the very first sentence "Anyone under the delusion that greed doesn’t rule the NFL needs to check the communal psyche in St. Louis.."

I believe egoism and vanity ride in the first seat of owners motivation. Though, I can see profit desire in the back seat.

Also, there's a difference between greed and wanting to be a sustainable business. Hard to explain in this union town.

Edited by boater

LOL! Stupid article. The Bills aren't leaving.

On reflection, I disagree with the very first sentence "Anyone under the delusion that greed doesn’t rule the NFL needs to check the communal psyche in St. Louis.."

I believe egoism and vanity ride in the first seat of owners motivation. Though, I can see profit desire in the back seat.

Also, there's a difference between greed and wanting to be a sustainable business. Hard to explain in this union town.

Yup. Ralph could have made more money elsewhere if he wanted but chose to stay in Buffalo. The Pegs' spent way more than anyone else would have to buy the team, so that they could keep it in Buffalo.

Keep wishing that.

I agree with you for the next year or so.. then all bets are off.

I don't understand your logic; what difference would two more losing years make to Pegula? Bills fans have been supporting a loser for 15 years, you think that's going to suddenly evaporate if we have another couple 7-9 years?

The Rams moved up like 25 spots in value with the move. Vanity and greed are together.

I didn't waste my time on that article, but I'm guessing the writer didn't address the NFL cross-ownership rules:

The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other league’s franchise is in a neutral market, defined as one that doesn’t currently host an NFL team and is not deemed a potential NFL city.

http://www.theofficialreview.com/nfl-cross-ownership-rules/

To move the Bills the Pegulas would have to sell the Sabres (or the Bills) or the NFL would have to claim that they no longer consider Buffalo a potential NFL city. It'd be really tough to sell that last one and I don't see the Pegulas selling a team.

The NFL is running out of viable markets. The LA situation will fail, again, because the demographics have changed so much since the last team left. There simply are not enough people in the LA area who care enough AND can afford to support a franchise. Drawing from San Diego, Oakland etc. wears pretty fast.

I agree with most of what he says at http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/donn-esmonde/nfl-abandonment-of-st-louis-ups-the-ante-in-buffalo-20160123

Including the open ended statement: "Buffalo will thankfully be spared St. Louis’ fate. But in the game of stadium checkers, the pressure is on to keep up with the Kroenkes."

I think the current pressure to move is "low" ... but if the Bills lose the next two seasons, the pressure is a red hot blowout to move.

Opinion.

Move....where? This is silly. If the Bills "lose"?

They aren't going anywhere. Win or lose. Kroenke, who's move to LA has been, what, 2 years in the making (the least surprising "surprise" of any team in team moving history) and LA have nothing to do with a new stadium in Buffalo. This discussion began well before the Rams left for LA.

Move....where? This is silly. If the Bills "lose"?

They aren't going anywhere. Win or lose. Kroenke, who's move to LA has been, what, 2 years in the making (the least surprising "surprise" of any team in team moving history) and LA have nothing to do with a new stadium in Buffalo. This discussion began well before the Rams left for LA.

Ditto!

Donn Esmonde Agenda

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168539-donn-esmonde-agenda/?hl=donn+esmonde

Ignore the noise.

As a professional writer he needs to create new work, not keep regurgitating the same old "the sky is falling" stuff.

Google him and see how many times he's wrote about this.

You'll see another article about this in two years.

Agenda

Stayin :thumbsup:

Edited by tsnbd

Opinion.

If greed is the motivating factor what would winning do? Sell more tickets? I am not sure that is what Owner's have in mind when they want to move. They have a number of other reasons to move besides increasing ticket sales, and none of these would be accomplished by winning. A new stadium in the area might, but winning by itself? no.

Edited by What a Tuel