NFL abandonment of St. Louis ups the ante in Buffalo

boater

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..is the Don Esmonde lede

I agree with most of what he says at http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/donn-esmonde/nfl-abandonment-of-st-louis-ups-the-ante-in-buffalo-20160123

Including the open ended statement: "Buffalo will thankfully be spared St. Louis’ fate. But in the game of stadium checkers, the pressure is on to keep up with the Kroenkes."

I think the current pressure to move is "low" ... but if the Bills lose the next two seasons, the pressure is a red hot blowout to move.

Opinion.

complete BS, doesn't matter what our record is we are staying

Keep wishing that.

I agree with you for the next year or so.. then all bets are off.

based on ?

Yeah, because the owners that have spent $2B on the area and its sports teams will just up and leave their $2B investment

Not

A

Chance

plus the new stadium they are going to build

As long as the Pegulas own the team, they will go nowhere - new stadium or not. I do feel a new stadium will be built eventually. We don't need a 2 billion dollar stadium like LA and it wouldn't cost $2 billion to build a stadium in Buffalo no matter anyway. Land is not at a premium like in LA. The fact of the matter is that the NFL is set up so that all teams should be successful financially no matter what the market size. The league needs teams in places like Buffalo, Green Bay, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Cleveland even if the owners don't make as much in those markets as they do in the large markets. If that's an issue then just eliminate all of the smaller markets with their smaller bottom lines yet loyal fan bases and make it a league in the only wealthy big markets and see how well that goes over.

Keep wishing that.

I agree with you for the next year or so.. then all bets are off.

There's nothing to wish for. The Bills could have been gone twenty years ago, with an owner with less pockets than the Pegula's. Bills aren't going anywhere for the forseeable future. Enjoy that and stop letting tired writers with tired viewpoints scare you into paying them attention. If my aunt was a man she'd be my uncle. Whatever.

I don't understand your logic; what difference would two more losing years make to Pegula? Bills fans have been supporting a loser for 15 years, you think that's going to suddenly evaporate if we have another couple 7-9 years?

Yes. I think more future losing seasons would severely affect ticket sales, decreasing revenue and then the pressure will be on for the Bills to do something, which could be a move.

There's some over confidence here that what was, will be.

Supporting losers for 15 years: nothing goes on forever.

• Generation Z is the future fan base. Marketers find Gen Z has less loyalty compared to previous generations (result: they won't invest in a losing record). But Gen Z will invest in a good value (meaning a winning record)
  • The ticket buying fan base will be reduced by aging. Buffalo has the third oldest population in the country
  • Much of the fan base is leaving WNY

If the Bills win = the future WNY fans will support them

If they lose = they won't be supported as well as they are today...and the NFL pressure will be on for some kind of change

On the flip side. I don't see any other city that would be better than Buffalo. I think the two teams in LA will be a fail.

Edited by boater

Yes. I think more future losing seasons would severely affect ticket sales, decreasing revenue and then the pressure will be on to keep the Bills in town (or a new stadium).

Ticket sales are a tiny blip on the radar when it comes to revenue.

The TV contract is worth billions

This is a non-starter

So funny. I saw the headline on TBD front page and the first thought that came to mind was, "must be a Donn Esmonde editorial." Clicked on it only to confirm, didn't even read it.

I still remember the article from YEARS ago in which Esmonde proclaimed Buffalo would be better off without the Bills and predicting fans wouldn't care if they moved to Toronto.

Douche.

. Hard to explain in this union town.

This statement shows your political agenda and bias. Let the rich billionaires scare the simple minded fans into spending tons of public money so the rich owners can get richer on the backs of the taxpayers. My bias is that it is time for the federal government to get tough with all the special breaks we grant the NFL owners, and force them to run their businesses with private money, not drink milk at the public trough. Ban public sports facility investments in private for profit sports ventures.

Yes. I think more future losing seasons would severely affect ticket sales, decreasing revenue and then the pressure will be on for the Bills to do something, which could be a move.

• Generation Z is the future fan base. Marketers find Gen Z has less loyalty compared to previous generations (result: they won't invest in a losing record). But Gen Z will invest in a good value (meaning a winning record)
  • The ticket buying fan base will be reduced by aging. Buffalo has the third oldest population in the country

If they lose = they won't be supported as well as they are today...and the NFL pressure will be on for some kind of change

On the flip side. I don't see any other city that would be better than Buffalo. I think the two teams in LA will be a fail.

So the team has missed the playoffs the past 16 seasons and still been supported, but the next 2 years are critical and if they continue to lose will lose support? How do you figure? And how do you figure they'll never make the playoffs again?

What "NFL pressure"? Kroenke couldn't WAIT to leave that cow town. He announced to the NFL that he bought that Inglewood plot 2 years ago. He announced that he was building an LA stadium on this land a year ago.

The Bills were never moving to LA...or Toronto (the real laugher!). They aren't going to move. This stuff was silly before the Pegulas and is more so now.

The paranoia just won't end.

Fans are not dumb you take any Cowboys fan or fan in one of these multi billion dollar play pens and bring them to a Buffalo Game day experience and they will tell you hands down what happens here and places like Greenbay and K.C. is special.

Most feel that what happens here is fun and what a real game day experience should be about. So stand up and be proud. I for one am thankful for a awesome game day experience and how

close the stands are to the field and the whole atmosphere out

at the Ralph. There is no place on game day I would rather be then right there. When it's too small and doesn't make enough money for Jerry Jones it's Just right for us. Boy Marv Levi would be proud. GO BILLS

I thought this stuff was over?

The sooner these dinosaurs with their pessimistic, "woe is us" defeatist "because Buffalo" attitudes retire and stop printing this crap the better.

How much more clear could the Pegulas be about their intentions? This is insulting, unnecessary, and serves no purpose but to upset people over something that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, period.