Johnny Manziel (update: waived by Browns)

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dan Patrick speculating there won't be much interest. Since he may be suspended for his behavior.

If you think Shady will be suspended over an inconclusive video, Goof's a shoo-in to be suspended.

8 million bucks to do almost nothing. I'm sure his trust has him very tax efficient so I doubt he paid very much in taxes. I do wonder if he ever gets back in the game.

What kind of trust can shelter ordinary earned income from federal & state income taxes?

NFL players typically pay 40~50% in taxes.

his new nickname could be Johnny Don't, then they could get someone squeaky clean to be the one who does everything safe and right

If only there was some other out-of-work QB who was over-hyped as much as Manziel except he had the complete opposite personality/behavior. Maybe a nice Christian boy who didn't drink, smoke or chase women. Hmmmm.......

What kind of trust can shelter ordinary earned income from federal & state income taxes?

NFL players typically pay 40~50% in taxes.

write offs. I'm sure the family has it set it up in an intelligent way. I'd bet he's paying closer to 0 then 50

write offs. I'm sure the family has it set it up in an intelligent way. I'd bet he's paying closer to 0 then 50

It doesn't matter how intelligently you set anything up. Football players earn money as individuals, they can't avoid paying individual income taxes.

It doesn't matter how intelligently you set anything up. Football players earn money as individuals, they can't avoid paying individual income taxes.

so you're saying there's no way for an individual to lower what they owe in taxes?

He will sit out this year whether he likes it or not. No NFL team is going to touch him, especially with the specter of possible domestic violence.

He has that year to clean himself up and get healthy. (e.g. stop being a drunk)

so you're saying there's no way for an individual to lower what they owe in taxes?

No, I didn't say anything close to that. I'm saying that assuming a guy made $8MM and paid very little in taxes is misguided. I'm asking how you came to such a conclusion. If it was that easy to duck taxes, why doesn't every player (and every other person in the country with a high salary) do so?

Yes there are certain things an NFL player can deduct from his AGI (agent fee, union dues, cost of tax prep, etc.), but that's a small dent when you hit the 35% federal bracket, plus state taxes, city/county/local taxes, FICA, etc.

Tax shelters are typically what you use to protect your earned (and taxed) income from being further taxed on investment gains, etc.

There are numerous article you can read on the subject. Here's one that includes an estimate of what the top NFL tax payers pay (congrats Phillip Rivers!)

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

No, I didn't say anything close to that. I'm saying that assuming a guy made $8MM and paid very little in taxes is misguided. I'm asking how you came to such a conclusion. If it was that easy to duck taxes, why doesn't every player (and every other person in the country with a high salary) do so?

Yes there are certain things an NFL player can deduct from his AGI (agent fee, union dues, cost of tax prep, etc.), but that's a small dent when you hit the 35% federal bracket, plus state taxes, city/county/local taxes, FICA, etc.

Tax shelters are typically what you use to protect your earned (and taxed) income from being further taxed on investment gains, etc.

There are numerous article you can read on the subject. Here's one that includes an estimate of what the top NFL tax payers pay (congrats Phillip Rivers!)

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

And they get taxed in multiple jurisdictions, usually under arcane and byzantine rules.

Cam Newton paid an effective 200% tax rate on his Superbowl bonus, because of how California calculates taxes.

If only there was some other out-of-work QB who was over-hyped as much as Manziel except he had the complete opposite personality/behavior. Maybe a nice Christian boy who didn't drink, smoke or chase women. Hmmmm.......

that would work if he wasn't run out of the league like he had leprosy, if he was still playing I would agree, cause right now Timmy Do's career isn't much more successful then Johnny Don'ts