Anybody know what Doug Whaley studied in college?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know he went to Pitt but I can't find anywhere what he studied. Was it at all related to management/sports management? I'd be curious to know his GPA as well. Same for the Ryan brothers, the pride and joy of Southwestern Oklahoma State.

Business Finance.

He was a retail stock broker on Wall Street before applying for an internship with the Steelers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/05/16/buffalo-bills-general-manager-doug-whaley-wall-street/2191723/

CBF

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/2009/01/04/Bouchette-on-the-Steelers-Bill-Cowher-s-brief-flirtation-with-Browns-a-peek-into-future/stories/200901040209

Whaley, an Upper St. Clair native who played at Pitt and graduated with a degree in business/finance, worked one year as a Wall Street stockbroker before he became a scouting intern with the Steelers in 1995.

My kids went to Upper St Clair (~16 kids with perfect board scores when my oldest graduated)...its certainly in the top 1% of high schools in the country. Got to see Whaley play for the championship all state team there. He's no dummy but I lost a bit of admiration for him when he allowed the Rob Ryan hire. Really, really hoping he knows what he is doing going forward.

It just amazes me when people think GPA has anything t do with learning anything. Life lessons and other how to succeed lesson aren't part of the GPA and I have found I'd rather hire a bunch of people who had 3.0 GPA versus 4.0 since many of the folks who,had 3.0 lived and experienced college and learned the lessons for life.

It just amazes me when people think GPA has anything t do with learning anything. Life lessons and other how to succeed lesson aren't part of the GPA and I have found I'd rather hire a bunch of people who had 3.0 GPA versus 4.0 since many of the folks who,had 3.0 lived and experienced college and learned the lessons for life.

Well you obviously don't run a business or manage people because that's the biggest line if self supporting malarkey ever. As someone with extensive experience with college kids, I'll take the high gpa kid over the mediocre "college experience" (see: immature, lazy) kid every time if we're talking entry level. Once you build a career and resume, gpa means nothing more than an indicator of potential drive, motivation, and intelligence.