Anybody know what Doug Whaley studied in college?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at Doug Whaley, a few things come to mind before he even opens his mouth:

1) His eyes look lazy a lot and he looks stoned;

2) When he poses in a Press Conference photo with Terry, Russ, Rex and a new player, he always holds the ball tight in his arm (whereas Russ holds it like a schoolgirl on the playground)

3) He looks stoned...wait, did I say that already?

I don't care if he went to Buff State, Yale or Alabama...the guy appears tough, innovative, hard working, and talented (see trade for Hughes, Shady, and draft of Darby, acquisition of Tyrod). Good work Doug!!

1) I don't know how you see if his eyes look lazy a lot. Most of the pics I see he is wearing those dark glasses. Which neither confirms nor refutes your point, now that I think on it.

2) Played fullback in HS. Good HS team. Two championships. Two 300 yd games. Played DB at Pitt. Knows his ball security.

3) Yes. Yes, you did.

Apparently he could have gone to Yale

He's not a charismatic public speaker, but when I've heard him interviewed on radio he expresses himself clearly and well. I wouldn't call Whaley a poor public speaker. The only bone I have to pick is he chooses "big words" when smaller ones would do and occasionally uses them incorrectly, but that's not uncommon and I give him props for trying to show a good vocabulary.

He tries too hard with a mic in front of him. He nervously misuses idioms and commits the cardinal sin of trying to be eloquent but selecting the wrong word. If he backed off and didn't try so hard to sound intelligent, he'd sound more intelligent.... Which I don't in anyway insinuate he is not.. Because I happen to think, at least from a fan view, that he is good

Well you obviously don't run a business or manage people because that's the biggest line if self supporting malarkey ever. As someone with extensive experience with college kids, I'll take the high gpa kid over the mediocre "college experience" (see: immature, lazy) kid every time if we're talking entry level. Once you build a career and resume, gpa means nothing more than an indicator of potential drive, motivation, and intelligence.

i started 2 startups that the highest GPA was a 3.8 ( me ) we were very successful and eventually acquired. This was in computer related business and I was amazed that I found people with lower GPAs were able to think outside the box better that the 4.0's I am not talking folks with 2.0 but folks with 3.2 seemed to be able to interact and work with other better than the eggheads. Hired one PhD that looked great on paper 4.0 etc from credible school wasn't worth the paper her GPA was printed on

It just amazes me when people think GPA has anything t do with learning anything. Life lessons and other how to succeed lesson aren't part of the GPA and I have found I'd rather hire a bunch of people who had 3.0 GPA versus 4.0 since many of the folks who,had 3.0 lived and experienced college and learned the lessons for life.

i started 2 startups that the highest GPA was a 3.8 ( me ) we were very successful and eventually acquired. This was in computer related business and I was amazed that I found people with lower GPAs were able to think outside the box better that the 4.0's I am not talking folks with 2.0 but folks with 3.2 seemed to be able to interact and work with other better than the eggheads. Hired one PhD that looked great on paper 4.0 etc from credible school wasn't worth the paper her GPA was printed on

Hmmmph! Well, I have to say, your first post sounded a tad narrow-minded to me - assuming that kids with 4.0 GPAs don't "experience college" or learn lessons for life, because sometimes they do.

Now I know what you mean, though. As a hiring manager, I called it "Good Student Syndrome". You can have kids who have mastered school, they know how to fulfill expectations for courses that don't expect creativity (or only carefully scripted creativity) but they've totally zoned out of learning to THINK about things and problem-solve. So they get As, but they start out fair useless for any kind of trouble-shooting, problem solving creating from new kind of work. Some of them shake it quickly, and some of them never do.

Part of it is knowing the school - some schools where it's fairly easy to get "B"s if you just do the work, but you have to be a creative thinker and problem solver to earn the "As".

Edited by Hopeful