RG3 as the Bills backup QB?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. Even if he could play, the locker room stuff is a huge problem. I normally don't put a ton of stock in reports of anonymous teammates ripping on a player, but when you combine those reports with some of things he's written on social media (and reinforced by the stunt he pulled this weekend when he left a "woe is me" note on his locker for reporters), it really makes me wonder if he'll ever get it.

Wherever he goes, he will be expecting to start. If that doesn't happen, look out. I give him credit for staying fairly low-key this year, but I wouldn't count on him doing that again.

With RG3 on his way out of Washington, I wonder if any team considers him a starter and would go after him as such.

Cleveland, San Francisco, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Houston seem to be the only teams in the market and with Chipper gone, no one really runs RG's style of offense.

With RG and Tyrod playing similar styles, would he consider the Bills as a place to challenge for a starting position and work in a system that is suited to his strengths.

If he does not beat out TT, then we have a capable backup that does not require retooling the offense for. I can't see RG3 getting a substantial long term deal, so if we offered 2-3 yrs at 5m per, would it be enough to lure him over.

Personally, I would take RG3 instead of wasting a draft pick or keeping EJ around.

I think it would be a bold move; he would be a great fit in Roman's offensive scheme and he would be a terrific plan B if Taylor regresses or gets hurt. I would make a trade with Washington send them EJ and a seventh round pick.

I would be interested to see him as a backup if he could be had on the cheap. There is no way RGIII is worse than EJ Manuel IMO. I don't see any upside to having EJ as a backup over just about anyone. Everyone is a football expert in here and so certain of the fate of all NFL players. Lot of the same folks were certain Cousins was garbage, only to watch him shred the Bills and generally tear it up down the stretch last year. Not saying he's elite, but he played elite for a good stretch of his first full season as a starter and got his team to the playoffs. Interested to see if he continues to develop next year.

That said, RGIII will go somewhere he has a chance to compete as the starter. He's not coming here.

There is no way RGIII is worse than EJ Manuel IMO. I don't see any upside to having EJ as a backup over just about anyone.

That said, RGIII will go somewhere he has a chance to compete as the starter. He's not coming here.

I agree with you 100% about RG3 and EJ, I will vomit if I seeEJ take one more snap in a Bills uniform.

I also agree that he will likely sign somewhere he has a chance to start that's why the Bills should trade for him.

id do it in a heartbeat. BUT I'm guessing the price tag would not be manageable. he is going to want to go someplace he has a chance to start and tyrod earned his spot. if he wanted to come in it would be a perfect fit tho.

also people saying he was a locker room cancer i think that is misleading, he hasn't said one thing this season i think he has grown as a player.

Here's the thing. No one earns anything in the NFL. It is best player for the position and next man up. If TT goes down or regresses we can not have EJ Manuel in the lineup. That cost us a playoff spot this year.

If we want a consistent offense then we need to run the same system with all three of our QB's to keep defenses on their toes. Last year was the first year in this offense and we were stuck with the players from the previous regime. If Rex wants to run HIS D and Roman HIS O then we need to adapt and find players who fit the scheme.

No one should get complacent. Everyone should know they have to fight for their starting position and for their job. Healthy competition is the hallmark of success. Look at the Broncos. If Brock was playing better, he would be starting and a first ballot HOF rides the pine like in Week 17. When Peyton came in healthy he earned the nod for the playoff game.

I say bring in competition at every position and the best man wins. For the QB competition, I'd like to see RG3 or Kapernick brought in. As a last resort, Chase Daniel or Matt Moore are still better than EJ. We need an upgrade here.

The Bills need to draft Jake Rudock from Michigan in the 4th or 5th round. Did everyone watch him torch the Gators in the Wild Wings bowl? He is smart mobile and accurate. Not a big specimen. But the guy is a leader, doesn't get rattled, and will only get better in the pros. I may be a little biased being a huge Wolverines fan. However, he can play. I would love him on our roster.

that's my feeling... EJ out.... a competent veteran who can play in the system IN.

Draft the future 4th-7th round or next year after thoroughly evaluating TT.

this is what I think happens. Is Cap a FA? If so, I see him being the backup next year. Drafting a QB in 2017. Also some potential late round/UDFA's available that have similar skills to TT (Boykin--TCU and Terrell Hunt--SU)

Here's the thing. No one earns anything in the NFL. It is best player for the position and next man up. If TT goes down or regresses we can not have EJ Manuel in the lineup. That cost us a playoff spot this year.

If we want a consistent offense then we need to run the same system with all three of our QB's to keep defenses on their toes. Last year was the first year in this offense and we were stuck with the players from the previous regime. If Rex wants to run HIS D and Roman HIS O then we need to adapt and find players who fit the scheme.

No one should get complacent. Everyone should know they have to fight for their starting position and for their job. Healthy competition is the hallmark of success. Look at the Broncos. If Brock was playing better, he would be starting and a first ballot HOF rides the pine like in Week 17. When Peyton came in healthy he earned the nod for the playoff game.

I say bring in competition at every position and the best man wins. For the QB competition, I'd like to see RG3 or Kapernick brought in. As a last resort, Chase Daniel or Matt Moore are still better than EJ. We need an upgrade here.

+1. Simply cannot hand EJ the backup spot.

No to RGIII for $5 million a year. You don't pay a backup quarterback $5 million a year. You certainly don't pay a backup quarterback $5 million a year when your current starting quarterback just made $2.15 million for the current season ($400K signing bonus, $750K salary, $1M playing time incentive). Instead, you keep EJ on as the #2. He makes less than your starter ($1.62m) in 2016 and he already knows the system. His contract is 100% guaranteed. This means no matter what, they're paying him $1.62m next year before the club option year. To boot, RGIII is a circus show.

Edited by Luxy312

I think it would be a bold move; he would be a great fit in Roman's offensive scheme and he would be a terrific plan B if Taylor regresses or gets hurt. I would make a trade with Washington send them EJ and a seventh round pick.

Wait, you want to TRADE for RGIII and take on his $16M salary, as a QB "Plan B"? While Overdorf is already sitting there with the Bills salary cap sheet in front of him, trying to figure out what player we might just as soon keep he must cut to sign Incognito and Glenn and extend Gilmore?

Don't Drink and Bowl.

I agree with you 100% about RG3 and EJ, I will vomit if I seeEJ take one more snap in a Bills uniform.

I also agree that he will likely sign somewhere he has a chance to start that's why the Bills should trade for him.

R-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ight. And what players do you plan to cut, or let go in FA, to make room, and how will you fill those holes?

I suggest Zofran for that nauseous feeling. I could be wrong, I often am, but I'm thinking you'll be seeing EJ at least in training camp/preseason.

Edited by Hopeful

I can't imagine he'd want to come here given that Taylor is the entrenched starter at this point. At this stage of RG III's career, he needs to go to a place where he can legitimately compete for the starting job. The Texans seems like an obvious fit given their problems at the position. Dallas makes some sense too given Romo's age and fragility.

I can't imagine he'd want to come here given that Taylor is the entrenched starter at this point. At this stage of RG III's career, he needs to go to a place where he can legitimately compete for the starting job. The Texans seems like an obvious fit given their problems at the position. Dallas makes some sense too given Romo's age and fragility.

I agree 100%. Especially the 2 Texas teams. The problem with RG111 IMO is that he is washed up. He is not as good as most of the needy teams starters, as bad as they are. Jerry might take him hoping for some of that rookie magic. He will be severely disappointed.

Just to annoy everyone, I'll go on record that EJ - yes, that EJ, will have a better & longer career than REG111. And I am definitely NOT an EJ guy.

1 - we averaged more points in EJ starts than Taylor ones (of course, he gave up more points too!). But stop overreacting to the backup qb. We weren't beating the Bengals and as awful as EJ was, there were other factors in the loss.

2 - do you honestly think RG3 or Kaepernick would be happy being a backup for Tyrod Taylor? I guarantee both feel they are better Qbs than him and they both have had more success than him.

I'm more the fine with EJ being the backup. I also think RG3 deserves another shot. So if you bring him in, it's going to be a qb battle all camp long.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

* gasps for air *

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Please keep him away from this locker room. I don't believe he wants to be a back up, and if that happened I could see a bad attitude a brewing.

You've drunk too much of the kool aid. Not saying I want Griffin here but he's been given a very bad rap by the press and his coach.