Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

Face it, this is not about the Bills or their fans. This is about the Ryan brothers, and this move will make or break them. They have everything riding on it, much more so than the Bills and their fans do.

everything, and nothing if they are accepting of "lets give it a go for fun, and win or lose we are generally ready to call it a day soon"

for them to be going into this together i have to imagine there is some degree of "we arent going to hate each other if it goes wrong"

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To counter your Rex effect point: prior to being bills HC, he was only HC for one team (not plural - one team). Did he or did he not have success with that team?

This may devolve into a "glass half empty or half full?" dichotomy. Rex went to 2 AFC championships his first two years (half full see as "success")

Then followed 4 years of alternating mediocrity (8-8) or losing (6-10, 4-12) seasons (half empty see that as "failure")

Overall I would have to say he did NOT have success with that team - he had an overall losing record. 0.48 winning percentage, and the most recent record being 8-8 or less.

A statistician might see Rex's HC results as a data set with a strong median (8-8 now 3 out of his 7 seasons)

The question isn't whether Rex knows what he wants to do on defense, but whether his defenses are able to stop or at least slow down newer offenses.

There are 14 HCs out of 26 currently in the NFL who come from the defensive side of the ball. All of them have a system they want to run, whatever variation of 4-3 or 3-4. But it doesn't take a full year for people to feature a good defense as demonstrated by like Mike Tomlin in 2007 or Mike Zimmer in 2014. Even Todd Bowles managed to have NYJ playing solid defense in his first year.

It looks like Rex is going back to what he knows and I'm not sure it'll work in a quickly evolving NFL landscape where offenses change almost year to year.

Edited by BillsVet

I just heard Rex on Mike and Mike and one thing he said made a lot of sense. He said that this year they tried to make the defense a combination of what the Bills had been last year and the defense he was bringing in. When you do anything half way, it is sure to be a disaster. While I was not a huge fan of the Rex hire, if you are going to go Ryan, push your chips to the middle and go Ryan all the way....and see what happens.

I agree. If he gets run out of here in a year, I'd rather he leave a Rex-shaped hole in the wall than have taken any half-measures.

@viccarucci

Rex Ryan offers emphatic counter punch to any talk about a "compromise" w #Bills' defensive scheme. BN Blog: http://bit.ly/1OdPq0Z

"We're going to do things much differently next year, and we're going to be better because of it," Ryan said during an appearance Monday on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" show.

Then, reiterating what he had identified during the season as a mistake, Ryan added, "In a way, I kind of merged a couple of things, two systems (his and the one used in 2014) and things like that. And quite honestly, it didn't work, so we're going to be all in and we're going to play Buffalo Bill defense.

The question isn't whether Rex knows what he wants to do on defense, but whether his defenses are able to stop or at least slow down newer offenses.

There are 14 HCs out of 26 currently in the NFL who come from the defensive side of the ball. All of them have a system they want to run, whatever variation of 4-3 or 3-4. But it doesn't take a full year for people to feature a good defense as demonstrated by like Mike Tomlin in 2007 or Mike Zimmer in 2014. Even Todd Bowles managed to have NYJ playing solid defense in his first year.

It looks like Rex is going back to what he knows and I'm not sure it'll work in a quickly evolving NFL landscape where offenses change almost year to year.

I don't know why fans reject the notion that forcing the offense into a quick passing game can actually be a good thing.

If coaches could have their QB rock and fire for four-eight yards every drop back...they would. The only guy who does it with consistency is Brady. There's a reason for that.

Thanks for posting those.

I hear more excuses in his "merge" comments.

Yeah, I am not sure this was really the problem, but we will see, I guess.

I think the "merge" thing could have accounted for some of the communication issues on the field. But I am not sure it explains the complete lack of pressure and sacks.

This may devolve into a "glass half empty or half full?" dichotomy. Rex went to 2 AFC championships his first two years (half full see as "success")

Then followed 4 years of alternating mediocrity (8-8) or losing (6-10, 4-12) seasons (half empty see that as "failure")

Overall I would have to say he did NOT have success with that team - he had an overall losing record. 0.48 winning percentage, and the most recent record being 8-8 or less.

A statistician might see Rex's HC results as a data set with a strong median (8-8 now 3 out of his 7 seasons)

Overall I would say he did. Back to back AFC Championship games and beating the Patriots in the playoffs in New England is a success no matter how you slice it. The dumpster fire that is (or was) upper management in NY is what ultimately ended that relationship.

We all consider Mike Tomlin a good coach. He's well respected around the league. Mike Tomlin hasn't mad the playoffs 2 out of 5 years since 2010 and up until this year he hadn't advanced past the wild card round since 2010 - with a hall of fame QB

We all consider Tom Coughlin a great coach - he went 4 years in a row without making the playoffs - with a hall of fame QB

I'm not saying Rex Ryan is on the same level as those coaches. It's just to put things in perspective: Great coaches go stretches without even making the playoffs with hall of fame QB's leading their team. Rex Ryan going 8-8 with TT isn't the end of the world. Lets see what next year brings.

I'm happy with the move.

Rex is a good coach and he is going to get this team where it needs to be.

Rob can help teach the scheme

Rob was a member of two NE* Super Bowl winning staffs under Belichick so he must have some value.

That's an interesting part of it. NE is Buffalo's biggest problem and Rob knows the team pretty intimately.

But man this team has a lot of great coaches at every level. There'll be some interesting coach meetings I'd like to listen in on. I look back at when I was younger and remember how sibling rivalry can interfere with working together, but these guys are old/wise enough now to put that stuff behind them. I have a hunch that these two brothers will be putting in some long hours to come up with some great game plans.

Don't necessarily disagree with the excuses part.

To counter your Rex effect point: prior to being bills HC, he was only HC for one team (not plural - one team). Did he or did he not have success with that team?

First year with Bills he goes 8-8 - a rather disappointing season due in large part to the expectations by the majority of fans and the coach himself. Lets see how next season goes before we burn down the city.

Rex Ryan absolutely did not overall have success with the Jets. During his stint he lost more than he won. He had some success in his first two years but in his last four years his team was very mediocre. Why do you think he was fired after his last season, a four win season? For doing a stellar job?

I for one don't believe that I had inflated expectations entering the season. I thought this was a 9-7 to a 10-6 caliber team. What I didn't expect is that the NFC East and the AFC South would be so bad. What is apparent to me (maybe not you) is that the difference between making the playoffs and not doing so this year is the way the loquacious HC handled the defense. That's on him.

Rex on Hiring his Brother Rob

The Bills made a notable addition to their coaching staff in the form of Rob Ryan, head coach Rex Ryan’s twin brother over the weekend. On Monday, Buffalo’s sideline boss commented on what adding his brother to the staff will mean for the Bills.

Appearing on ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike show, Ryan believes their staff has gotten a lot better with his brother as Assistant head coach/Defense.

I'm not sure. If (let's say) Ryan is on a short leash, "no excuses"....then one strategy is to give a guy his head, give him absolutely everything he asks for, and judge the tree by the fruit.

Well, analogy wise, it's not the trees fault if the weather and soil is bad. The defense not being up to the Ryan standards coukd have been one of many things.

Me personally, I think Dennis Thurman is one of the problems because ever since Dennis has been with Rex, they suck. Secondly, players not buying in can be another factor and Thirdly the personell wasn't fit for his scheme. I mean the third fact was obvious since we saw such a huge drop in performance in more than a handful of players on D.

Mario doesn't fit/didn't try hard so I'm willing to part ways.

Dareus looked good

Kyle Williams looked good

And Hughes is still a beast

I say put Manny Lawson in Marios spot and boom, cold front back together.

Bradham looked awful

Preston Brown can't handle the MLB role

So we clearly need 2 linebackers that can fit this scheme.

Aaron Williams looked good but needs help from another stud safety.

We're good on cornerbacks but depth would be nice so I think we would need 2 starters at LB, one at safety and the rest of the needs would be depth and maybe next year the D will look presentable.

Oh and fire Dennis somehow but I doubt that will happen.

Rex Ryan absolutely did not overall have success with the Jets. During his stint he lost more than he won. He had some success in his first two years but in his last four years his team was very mediocre. Why do you think he was fired after his last season, a four win season? For doing a stellar job?

I for one don't believe that I had inflated expectations entering the season. I thought this was a 9-7 to a 10-6 caliber team. What I didn't expect is that the NFC East and the AFC South would be so bad. What is apparent to me (maybe not you) is that the difference between making the playoffs and not doing so this year is the way the loquacious HC handled the defense. That's on him.

You're not being objective at all. You qualify going to consecutive AFC championship games as "some success"..LOL.

Vince Lombardi would have gone 4-12 Matt Simms and Geno Smith and Mike Vick at QB. Did Rex Ryan draft Geno? Nope. Where is Idzik today? A "consultant".

You're not being objective at all. You qualify going to consecutive AFC championship games as "some success"..LOL.

Vince Lombardi would have gone 4-12 Matt Simms and Geno Smith and Mike Vick at QB. Did Rex Ryan draft Geno? Nope. Where is Idzik today? A "consultant".

His last five years have not been very successful. This year this experienced HC coached a team that underachieved. When you hire a HC who is trending down don't be surprised when his recent coaching performance is lackluster. For me (not you) his last five years are more telling than what he did half a decade ago.