Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

No. Because some things are more important than talent. But I know you disagree.

No, I've been clear that Rex made a monumental mistake in how he handled the Mario situation. But that's something that he will have to deal with in the locker room next year to clean up the mess. Trouble is, benching Mario would not have led to more victories. How did benching Stevie work out for Chan?

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I've been clear that Rex made a monumental mistake in how he handled the Mario situation. But that's something that he will have to deal with in the locker room next year to clean up the mess. Trouble is, benching Mario would not have led to more victories. How did benching Stevie work out for Chan?

That's a great example. Benching good or great players doesn't usually work or change their behavior on the field. I very much doubt it sends a message to other players that resonates either. There is no stats or model for this, but the only thing that works is if the coach talks or yells at the player who decides himself he's letting down his teammates and changes, or his teammates get on him themselves and guilt him into not letting them down. Otherwise, idiots stay idiots.

His last five years have not been very successful. This year this experienced HC coached a team that underachieved. When you hire a HC who is trending down don't be surprised when his recent coaching performance is lackluster. For me (not you) his last five years are more telling than what he did half a decade ago.

Huh? The last 5 years is half a decade.

He didn't go the the championship game 20 years ago. I lived in NYC during Rex's era, I'm well aware of the dumpster fire that occurred there and it was 85% management. He didn't draft Sanchez. He didn't draft Geno. Those are the cards he was given. But he DID want TT - and look how well that's turned out for us so far. So lets at least see what he can do here in Buffalo.

Should Tomlin get fired? He missed the playoffs twice in the past 5 years with a HOF QB. Has he gone to an AFC championship game in the last half decade? Tomlin must suck.

Rex went 8-8 this year with a team that has some holes. Lets see what next year brings is all I'm saying. Many posters here want him gone now. I don't think that's fair.

Edited by bobobonators

I mean, Chan was garbage, but the move was still the right one. Did the lockerroom mutiny on him or Rex?

Edited by FireChan

Huh? The last 5 years is half a decade.

He didn't go the the championship game 20 years ago. I lived in NYC during Rex's era, I'm well aware of the dumpster fire that occurred there and it was 85% management.

Should Tomlin get fired? He missed the playoffs twice in the past 5 years with a HOF QB. Has he gone to an AFC championship game in the last half decade? Tomlin must suck.

Rex went 8-8 this year with a team that has some holes. Lets see what next year brings is all I'm saying. Many posters here want him gone now. I don't think that's fair.

Going out on a limb here:

No team in NFL history has missed the playoffs for three consecutive years (let alone 15), swapped in a new HC and new week one QB during the offseason then ended their playoff drought. My guess is that that has never happened. I'm willing to bet that you don't even need to define the playoff drought leading to the offseason switch over as three years, that the same is true in lesser time.

Bills fans--myself included--had convinced themselves of something which on paper was highly improbable.

I mean, Chan was garbage, but the move was still the right one. Did the lockerroom mutiny on him or Rex?

Does this sound like an all out mutiny?

“He’s more concerned about his (remote control) cars and farm equipment than playing football for the Bills.”

The move was the right one? The Bills were up 21-0 and then lost 49-21 when he was benched, for something stupid that wasn't even totally his fault which Chan admitted wasn't totally his fault. Stevie didn't change. The Bills weren't more disciplined the next year and did even more stupid things. No good came of it. Just bad.

The move was the right one? The Bills were up 21-0 and then lost 49-21 when he was benched, for something stupid that wasn't even totally his fault which Chan admitted wasn't totally his fault. Stevie didn't change. The Bills weren't more disciplined the next year and did even more stupid things. No good came of it. Just bad.

If only SJ13 was out there! He could've scored 4 TD's for the W! Or made a sick one handed catch down 40 points!

Edited by FireChan

With Stevie 21-0. Without him and no threat 49-0. Good move benching him. Really had a positive affect on the player and team, short and long term.

How many personal fouls has SJ13 had since?

SJ13 could've had 6 pass break ups and 3 INT's! Damnit Chan!

Edited by FireChan

How many personal fouls has SJ13 had since?

None. But then again he never really got personal foul penalties. He got unsportsmanlike behavior and delay of game penalties. The last game I saw him play he had one late this season after he made a catch near the goal line he spun the ball for no reason and they threw a flag on him.

I HAVE a different take on this, you see i look at it as a homecoming of sorts,

, both Rob are Rex are buffalo guys way more than many realize.. both were born in 1962 you following so far ? that is while Buddy was coaching the Buffalo Bulls from 61-65 ,meaning UB

.so you can likely say they are Buffalo guys from conception ! WELCOME HOME ROB!

ok NOW the BN has a new story to copy

None. But then again he never really got personal foul penalties. He got unsportsmanlike behavior and delay of game penalties. The last game I saw him play he had one late this season after he made a catch near the goal line he spun the ball for no reason and they threw a flag on him.

Good lord that one was really bad. Didn't they lose because they ended up only getting 3?

Anyway, difference of opinion, but I think you have to do something. The HC position in the NFL is tenuous enough without abiding open rebellion and disregard to your authority.

OK....having slept on it

First of all.....a lot of people call Rex Ryan an idiot around here......now he has had more failure then success but one thing Rex is NOT is an idiot....you don't survive in the NFL like Rex has and be a buffooon......so people that dont have the brain capacity to look deeper need to stop with that stuff. You like him or hate him.....Rex is not stupid.

So my next question becomes. What does Rex think that his brother can bring to this team that is missing.

Is it communication with the defensive players?

Dennis Thurman (in my opinion) does not appear to be a good communicator.....perhaps Dennis is a excellent coach but a bad seller or communicator to players? Perhaps Rob Ryan excells at this area?

Rob Ryan has not had sustained success as a defensive coordinator.....but he keeps getting DC jobs around the league....this means that NFL decision makers think he does in fact have something about him that would allow for him to be successful.

I am willing to wait till we see what this defense looks like next year before I pass judgement on it. Maybe this might be as simple as Rex is trying to convey something to Dennis Thurman......Thurman cant or is late conveying to the players..........and Rex and Rob are on the same wavelength

Edited by John from Hemet

OK....having slept on it

First of all.....a lot of people call Rex Ryan an idiot around here......now he has had more failure then success but one thing Rex is NOT is an idiot....you don't survive in the NFL like Rex has and be a buffooon......so people that dont have the brain capacity to look deeper need to stop with that stuff. You like him or hate him.....Rex is not stupid.

So my next question becomes. What does Rex think that his brother can bring to this team that is missing.

Is it communication with the defensive players?

Dennis Thurman (in my opinion) does not appear to be a good communicator.....perhaps Dennis is a excellent coach but a bad seller or communicator to players? Perhaps Rob Ryan excells at this area?

Rob Ryan has not had sustained success as a defensive coordinator.....but he keeps getting DC jobs around the league....this means that NFL decision makers think he does in fact have something about him that would allow for him to be successful.

I am willing to wait till we see what this defense looks like next year before I pass judgement on it. Maybe this might be as simple as Rex is trying to convey something to Dennis Thurman......Thurman cant or is late conveying to the players..........and Rex and Rob are on the same wavelength

You realize that you have kinda defeated your own argument. Rex wouldn't survive in the NFL if he was a moron and sucked, but Rob Ryan has survived in the NFL and he's a moron and sucks.