AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

So your beef is with the call on Jones? I did not see it (and they did not replay it) so I don't have an opinion on that one.

I think if you penalize Jones you are are unnecassarily involving yourself in the game. Just throw Jones out of the game, or penalize both teams. Better yet let the last 15 seconds play out after the Brown penalty. The difference is the Brown penalty is a safety issue, Job #1 of an official. The other thing can be dealt with the way hockey would. Give him a game misconduct-don't move him into PAT range for the game winning kick!

Edited by The Thurmanator

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

throw in the fact that no one knows what was said between the players and Porter. If they had just gotten into a scrum over some comments with no pushing or shoving it wouldn't have been an issue. The problem was the scumbag Pacman decided to try and go through a ref to throw a punch. That's what the flag was for you can't make contact with an official, you can't throw punches in a game at another player. Whether Porter is standing on the field saying something where league rules allow him to be in that situation, or on the sidelines saying something doesn't matter. Even if he is saying something trying to get them to do something, what's the difference between that and a QB trying to draw players offside?

The rub for me is that the rules do not allow you to go out on the field and confront other players. Officials will give coaches latitude to attend to an injured player, especially a head coach, but Porter was clearly confronting Bengals players and not attending to the injured player. Unsportsmanlike penalties on Jones and Porter should have been handed out. Instead the ball is advanced and a chip shot wins a playoff game.

Gotta protect the leagues golden calves like roethlisberger

They didn't penalize the hit on him.

Everyone is making a big deal out of the uncalled Shazier hit, but wasn't the next series a 3 and out (w/ BR's injury), followed by a Cincy TD? Maybe I forget the sequence but I don't recall it as the game changing play people are claiming.

Edited by KD in CT

The rub for me is that the rules do not allow you to go out on the field and confront other players. Officials will give coaches latitude to attend to an injured player, especially a head coach, but Porter was clearly confronting Bengals players and not attending to the injured player. Unsportsmanlike penalties on Jones and Porter should have been handed out. Instead the ball is advanced and a chip shot wins a playoff game.

I thought as a technical matter only HCs and medical staff have the right to be on the field attending an injured player. And Porter was not even doing that. He was instigating trouble as anyone familiar with him knows. If Burfict has a bad rep that deprives him of the benefit of the doubt should be the same for Porter. Brown is not his player anyway. Porter is a linebackers coach.

I thought as a technical matter only HCs and medical staff have the right to be on the field attending an injured player. And Porter was not even doing that. He was instigating trouble as anyone familiar with him knows. If Burfict has a bad rep that deprives him of the benefit of the doubt should be the same for Porter. Brown is not his player anyway. Porter is a linebackers coach.

Players, HC, and medical staff are the only ones allowed on the field during an injury time out. Unless it looks like a serious injury, which at the time it looked pretty bad. Then it's the refs discretion whether to allow additional staff onto the field

Porter was talking ****. 5 Bengals were talking ****, and a couple of them intentionally bumped Porter trying to intimidate him. No harm, no flag.

Pacman crashes through two refs while attempting to throw a punch. Flag.

Not complicated.

Seriously, how many of you guys bet the money line on Cincy?

Edited by KD in CT

Porter was talking ****. 5 Bengals were talking ****, and a couple of them intentionally bumped Porter trying to intimidate him. No harm, no flag.

Not complicated.

LOL..apparently many.

At that point the refs weren't going to call any dead ball penalties, Porter shouldn't be on the field, but not going to get called. At that point nothing is going to get called for dead ball fouls, ..... until you bump the official. The nit's a different ball game.. Granted it was not intentional, but that will be called regardless of situation. Certainly the Steelers instigated it, but doesn't matter.

Players, HC, and medical staff are the only ones allowed on the field during an injury time out. Unless it looks like a serious injury, which at the time it looked pretty bad. Then it's the refs discretion whether to allow additional staff onto the field

Not saying PacMan should not have been flagged (or Burfict - or Shazier for that matter). Saying Porter should have been flagged as well, especially when the result is to turn a long field goal on a rainy night into a chip shot and gift wrap a playoff game. If it is a refs discretion it was clearly improperly exercised.

Shazier used a flying knee to break Sammy's ribs in the preseason -- dude is filthy dirty.

But the Bungles did this to themselves and deserved to lose, refs or no.

Yep. But Tomlin gets a pass for having undisciplined players and assistant coaches because he won a SB 8 years ago? The guy who hadn't won a playoff game since 2010? Right. It doesn't work both ways - he does not run a tight ship. His player got an egregious 15 yard taunting penalty in a close playoff game on the road on a TD that wasn't even a TD!

But I love that the bengals loss is somehow just another way to criticize Rex.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not complicated.

I didn't lose any money on the game nor could I give two $&^#$ who won. Players can talk **** (unless it is specifically directed at an official) even those on the field because they are eligible to be there. Porter can talk **** but according to the rules (9-8-1i), it should have been from the sideline. It was not, so in a playoff game at a juncture as critical as this play was, if your going to throw an unsportsmanlike on Jones, according to the rules, they should have thrown an unsportsmanlike on Porter.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

Porter can talk **** but according to the rules (9-8-1i), it should have been from the sideline. It was not, so in a playoff game at a juncture as critical as this play was, if your going to throw an unsportsmanlike on Jones, according to the rules, they should have thrown an unsportsmanlike on Porter.

Not saying PacMan should not have been flagged (or Burfict - or Shazier for that matter). Saying Porter should have been flagged as well, especially when the result is to turn a long field goal on a rainy night into a chip shot and gift wrap a playoff game. If it is a refs discretion it was clearly improperly exercised.

Porter shouldn't have been on the field. He's going to get fined by the NFL for being on the field. Doesn't excuse Pacmantality from hitting a ref on the way to trying to throw a punch.

I think I just made up a new name. Pacmantality.

Not complicated. (kd)

Seriously, how many Porter apologists bet the money line on Pitt?

Not complicated.

Correct.

I think you should re-watch the entire sequence. IMO Porter was on his way off the field. Burfict started slapping Brown on the shoulder & flapping his gums. Porter reacted to that and he was quickly encircled by several Bengal players at least 2 of whom jostled him. Cincy got everything they deserved last night.

But I love that the bengals loss is somehow just another way to criticize Rex.

:blink: wha?

I think I just made up a new name. Pacmantality.

Pacsanity?

Not complicated. (kd)

Seriously, how many Porter apologists bet the money line on Pitt?

Assistant coaches on the field during an injury time out are at the discretion of the refs. Considering all that was going on after Burfect's hit on Brown, an assistant coach on the field might not have even registered on the refs radar.

i suspect the rules committee will bring this up for discussion in the offseason

Assistant coaches on the field during an injury time out are at the discretion of the refs. Considering all that was going on after Burfect's hit on Brown, an assistant coach on the field might not have even registered on the refs radar.

i suspect the rules committee will bring this up for discussion in the offseason

I don't think it will take that long. The league will come out with something this week & they'll alert the refs and each team.

I don't think it will take that long. The league will come out with something this week & they'll alert the refs and each team.

Clarifying...they won't change any rules, they'll just "remind" the refs to enforce the rules that are already in place.