AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The linebacker coach did NOT need to be on the field for an injured Wide Receiver.

The discretion of the referees?

The same refs who stood at midfield to separate the teams pregame ?

or that already flagged one Pitt coach ?

Competent, experienced (Playoff Game worthy) referees would have recognized the reason that 'Coach' Porter was out there.

They both should have been flagged...........Not complicated..

That way the Steelers would not have been artificially moved into the position to win the game.

I believe they've said they are trying to move away from the constant offsetting in the belief that if no one is penalized no behavior will change. Was this the spot to make the point? Pacman certainly escalated far above anyone else, so I can see him getting the lone flag. Could there have been earlier intervention to curb it? Yes. But I think it's clear how Pacman ended up getting the flag based on how it did play out.

So, this ... report that Tomlin gave Porter a game ball

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2016/01/report-steelers-gave-joey-porter-game-ball-for-baiting-bengals-video/

@bmeek23

The fact that Tomlin gave Porter a game ball tells me all I need to know about why he was on that field and it wasn't to check in Brown

Probably true. I don't think Tomlins own incident coming off the sideline on the kick return was accidental either. I think he pushes his guys to the edge and figures he will generally come out ahead if they are slightly controlled/aware in what they are doing

Have to root for the Steelers next week to knock Peyton Manning out of the playoffs and into retirement, in the hopes that it will put an end to our long national nightmare of Nationwide commercials

Amen to that... providing he doesn't take over for Simms on the CBS games. If you think Nantz ball-washes him now, look out.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2016/01/report-steelers-gave-joey-porter-game-ball-for-baiting-bengals-video/

@bmeek23

The fact that Tomlin gave Porter a game ball tells me all I need to know about why he was on that field and it wasn't to check in Brown

I don't remember if Billick gave Siragusa a game ball for squishing Gannon in the 2000 AFC Championship game, but I would have. :D Game ball for a POS like Joey Porter? :censored: that, and :censored: the Steelers.

@bmeek23

Hmm, let's light the fuse of two players we know for sure who'll explode very quickly. It worked.

@AP_NFL

Column: Bengals pay the price for character of players http://apne.ws/1P0SFpW

@timdahlberg

Amen to that... providing he doesn't take over for Simms on the CBS games. If you think Nantz ball-washes him now, look out.

I don't remember if Billick gave Siragusa a game ball for squishing Gannon in the 2000 AFC Championship game, but I would have. :D Game ball for a POS like Joey Porter? :censored: that, and :censored: the Steelers.

Very, very dirty play by Goose. But of course -- Marvin Lewis (and Rex was part of that defensive staff). I've never really forgiven Siragusa for that play, which I thought was beneath contempt. Edited by dave mcbride

Don't agree with the notion the game is impossible to officiate.

The rules have made it impossible to officiate, and are in need of a serious adjustment.

Also, the officials, lacking the support of reasonable rules, are just not very good at assessing or having a feel for the game and its situations.

For example, I watched a WJC hockey game last week where the Russian captain, in the penalty box, proceeded to break his stick and complain to the refs, after the opposition scored a PP goal to tie the game. Response he was booted from the game. No penalty was given to the team. The game continued, because the refs realized giving an advantage to one team over the other wasn't needed or in the best interest of the game. Let the teams play and decide the game. Don't be the story.

Last nights game. Throw out Pacman. Assess the 15 yard penalty on Burfict. Play on. Don't move them into extra point area to decide the game.

I know some will argue the rules are the rules. No interpretation necessary. Take a gray situation and apply black and white to it without common sense and you get referees impacting the outcome of enjoyable games beyond what is acceptable.

That was really over the top.

This is a great article. The only thing he left out was when the Cincy DB was flagged for hitting a defenseless Steelers receiver because it looked really bad, but the reality was that it was a very clean, shoulder-leading, non helmet-to-helmet hit.

This is a great article. The only thing he left out was when the Cincy DB was flagged for hitting a defenseless Steelers receiver because it looked really bad, but the reality was that it was a very clean, shoulder-leading, non helmet-to-helmet hit.

Opposite of clean. He was a defenseless receiver, and the intent was to lay him out. That is not even remotely debatable.

It is a great article, btw

Very, very dirty play by Goose. But of course -- Marvin Lewis (and Rex was part of that defensive staff). I've never really forgiven Siragusa for that play, which I thought was beneath contempt.

It got them a ring, I thought the Raiders at home were the better team. I was already living in Baltimore by then, lots of good partying that winter.

Last nights game. Throw out Pacman. Assess the 15 yard penalty on Burfict. Play on. Don't move them into extra point area to decide the game.

Exactly right. When officials make calls like that one, it can bring the integrity of the game into question, and is bad for the league. They easily could have called offsetting penalties, and then ejected Jones. It was poorly handled, and I think the officials were perhaps getting "emotionally involved" themselves.

Obviously. Marrone's team last year was 2nd most penalties in league and had 900 more penalty yards than Rex's team. But, narrative.

Yes. Not my post, but another poster seems to feel we have classless thugs on par with Cincy. I asked for specifics and received a general and very emotional response to which I posted the top five penalty recipients. Majority of calls were for offenses that would not normally be tied to "classless thugs".

when will this crap ever stop?

And yes....if you hate his commercials, do you want to listen to him as a color commentator. I'll throw my TV through the window. All kidding aside, I don't wish harm on any player.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

The only thing he left out was when the Cincy DB was flagged for hitting a defenseless Steelers receiver because it looked really bad, but the reality was that it was a very clean, shoulder-leading, non helmet-to-helmet hit.

Opposite of clean. He was a defenseless receiver, and the intent was to lay him out. That is not even remotely debatable.

It is a great article, btw

Wut? Are you for real, or are you just trolling? LOL It's pro football, a violent game, with many jaw-dropping, violent collisions.

When a receiver is coming across the middle to make a catch, the goal STILL is to hit the guy at the perfect time (as soon as he touches the ball) and cause him to drop the ball and/or not make the catch. In the old days, the DBs could pretty much do whatever they wanted, including maiming a guy for life (Jack "The Assasin" Tatum comes to mind), going to the head, throwing a forearm, etc. BUT NOWADAYS, under the new "safety conscious" rules of the NFL, many restrictions have been put in place, ostensibly to protect the players, but it also surely makes the job harder for the defensive secondary.

In this case, the Cincy DB did exactly what he needed to do, and he followed the new rules to the letter....he hit with his shoulder first & he did not hit the WR's head...yet I guess because it happened so fast, the zebras BLEW the call.

Might I ask if you think what he did was a PF, how could he (the Cincy DB who made the hit) have defended the play any differently? Should he have just stopped & waited until the Steeler caught the ball, waited for him to take a few steps, then attempt a tackle!? How about maybe he should have gone real low, for his knees, and possibly end the Steeler's career that way!?

I can't even believe I'm sitting here explaining this. Did you just start watching NFL football last year?

Wut? Are you for real, or are you just trolling? LOL It's pro football, a violent game, with many jaw-dropping, violent collisions.

When a receiver is coming across the middle to make a catch, the goal STILL is to hit the guy at the perfect time (as soon as he touches the ball) and cause him to drop the ball and/or not make the catch. In the old days, the DBs could pretty much do whatever they wanted, including maiming a guy for life (Jack "The Assasin" Tatum comes to mind), going to the head, throwing a forearm, etc. BUT NOWADAYS, under the new "safety conscious" rules of the NFL, many restrictions have been put in place, ostensibly to protect the players, but it also surely makes the job harder for the defensive secondary.

In this case, the Cincy DB did exactly what he needed to do, and he followed the new rules to the letter....he hit with his shoulder first & he did not hit the WR's head...yet I guess because it happened so fast, the zebras BLEW the call.

Might I ask if you think what he did was a PF, how could he (the Cincy DB who made the hit) have defended the play any differently? Should he have just stopped & waited until the Steeler caught the ball, waited for him to take a few steps, then attempt a tackle!? How about maybe he should have gone real low, for his knees, and possibly end the Steeler's career that way!?

I can't even believe I'm sitting here explaining this. Did you just start watching NFL football last year?

Um, I know the rule quite well, and it's telling that no one but you is arguing that this wasn't a violation of the defenseless receiver rule. It obviously was regardless of whether the shoulder was involved.

I get it--you didn't want Pittsburgh to win. I can sympathize, although I had no dog in the fight. Burfict is a straight up thug, though, and he should have been ejected for what he did on the sack of Roethlisberger.

I'm one of those crazy people who would like to see the unnecessary violence decline in an already very violent game. It's better for the players and a cleaner gane doesn't deter from the entertainment value of the sport, at least in my opinion. Call me weak.

As for what Burfict should have done, you're talking about a guy who goes for kill shots all of the time. How about he tracks the ball and pulls up, realizing that it's not catchable? Believe it or not, that happens all of the time now -- in practically every game.

Edited by dave mcbride