AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

I watched the game with my buddy who is a diehard Bengals fan. My heart went out to him when Cincy fumbled that last time. I knew what was coming.

Both teams played very dirty and it was not a game where sportsman like conduct was regularly displayed.

I agree Lewis has to go at this point. The steelers were just as out of control, however Tomlin gets a pass because they won and he has a ring.

I agree 100%. Both coaches are culpable for their teams' antics

Yes ^^^^. Just call the penalty consistently, should NOT be a problem. Why have video review and not use it. NCAA does it all the time.

Penalties should be reviewable, including all suspected targeting/spearing penalties, but reviews need to be streamlined by NFL central instead of head officiating making the decision on the sideline, wasting ever so much time. Between commercial breaks and challenges, there is an extra 90 minutes of time added on to the game that is unnecessary.

Am I the only person that thinks you don't throw a flag there at all?

It was a joke. Complete joke. They won the game for Pitt. Plain and simple.

They should have been offsetting so Punk-man and Porter both got flagged and not given the chip-shot field goal to Steelers.

That's an easy one

the game is played really fast

22 players to keep an eye on

preconceptions

rule book that is too ambiguous

rule book that is too big

officials who don't know the rules

What other major professional league has officiating that is part-time, like the No Fun League?

It must also be said that Shazier hit was with the crown of the helmet, regardless of defenseless receiver, it should have been a penalty and Bungles ball there too. They should have assigned a different head official for this game as opposed to the same guy as the regular season meeting too. Also, lost in this shuffle is the Mike Munchak penalty for grabbing Reggie Nelson by the arm (and apparently his dreadlocks in the process), and whipping him.

Edited by justnzane

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, they wouldn't have.

But the players know the rules now.

They don't do the "offsetting fouls" for things like that.....that douchebag Joey Porter had no ACTUAL business being out there but by rule he was allowed to assist Brown and he didn't strike anyone.......it's Burfict's fault Porter was even on the field...............the situation was diffused until Pac-Man jumped over a refs back to take a pointless swing at Porter.........utter stupidity.........you can't contact an official like that................and they simply can't allow the games to get out of hand the way last nights did.

The Burfict hit alone was outrageous and stupid enough that it deserved to cost Cincy the game.

You've got a game all but won and you risk it hoping to concuss or break a guys neck at the end. :doh:

If they aren't going to follow the rules with regard to jumping on a ref then why restrict such an egregious penalty on Burfict to just 15 yards?.........15 yards is hardly a just punishment for that kill shot..............point is...........rules were followed.

Live by stupid and dirty play........die by stupid and dirty play.

They don't do offsetting fouls, but maybe they should. Porter should have been flagged for being on the field and instead receives "a fine" for his actions and yet his team moves on in the playoffs. Where are the consequences for ones actions, especially someone in a leadership position that is on the field clearly trying to stir things up further. Complete bull$&!%.

Well, Bison, I disagree. The ball was clearly past the receiver at that point, and the receiver was defended and in no position to make the catch. Burfict saw a chance to take a head shot and take a guy out and he took it. C'mon man, DB and LB in coverage trained to watch the ball and know where the ball is, that's critical to the position. He knew it was passed. It was unnecessary roughness.

The Shazier hit was ruled correctly because he had caught the ball and transitioned to being a runner, but I don't like the rule. It was a legal hit and a fumble but if the NFL is serious about cutting down concusions it shouldn't be.

Shazier is a dirty player.

There are a lot of Ohio State apologists on TSW but the reality is that he hits with the intent to injure.

In today's game.......that is dirty.

I admittedly enjoy those hard hits.......if he wants to break his neck in exchange for giving out bruises or concussions then we will gladly watch him take those risks and be entertained.........but that's not the way the league is going.

Well, Bison, I disagree. The ball was clearly past the receiver at that point, and the receiver was defended and in no position to make the catch. Burfict saw a chance to take a head shot and take a guy out and he took it. C'mon man, DB and LB in coverage trained to watch the ball and know where the ball is, that's critical to the position. He knew it was passed. It was unnecessary roughness.

The Shazier hit was ruled correctly because he had caught the ball and transitioned to being a runner, but I don't like the rule. It was a legal hit and a fumble but if the NFL is serious about cutting down concusions it shouldn't be.

Doesn't matter if he was considered a runner or not, you can not lead and hit with the crown of the helmet. period end of story. Stop trying to justify Shaziers hit as legal.

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Edited by old school

They don't do offsetting fouls, but maybe they should. Porter should have been flagged for being on the field and instead receives "a fine" for his actions and yet his team moves on in the playoffs. Where are the consequences for ones actions, especially someone in a leadership position that is on the field clearly trying to stir things up further. Complete bull$&!%.

PORTER WAS LEGALLY ALLOWED ON THE FIELD to attend to an injured player.

Injured by a dirty hit by the opposing team no less.

Some of you guys just don't understand that penalties are called because of rules.

The players know the rules.

Fines are levied subjectively...........and that is the only way to handle it.

End of story.

Yup.

Put it this way. If they didn't throw a flag nobody would even been talking about this right now. It would've been forgotten pretty quickly. Throwing those flags opens up some much controversy.

Agree completely. Both teams clearly should have been flagged and that point in a game (playoffs or no playoffs) you either keep the flags in your pocket or you penalize both teams. They should also fine or fire the idiot officials whose actions directly impact the game.

Penalties should be reviewable, including all suspected targeting/spearing penalties, but reviews need to be streamlined by NFL central instead of head officiating making the decision on the sideline, wasting ever so much time. Between commercial breaks and challenges, there is an extra 90 minutes of time added on to the game that is unnecessary.

They should have been offsetting so Punk-man and Porter both got flagged and not given the chip-shot field goal to Steelers.

What other major professional league has officiating that is part-time, like the No Fun League?

It must also be said that Shazier hit was with the crown of the helmet, regardless of defenseless receiver, it should have been a penalty and Bungles ball there too. They should have assigned a different head official for this game as opposed to the same guy as the regular season meeting too. Also, lost in this shuffle is the Mike Munchak penalty for grabbing Reggie Nelson by the arm (and apparently his dreadlocks in the process), and whipping him.

with Shazier, agree, he led with crown of helmet and that's a penalty. Doesn't matter whether or not Gio was defenseless! That's an illegal hit. Edited by YoloinOhio

Some of you guys just don't understand that penalties are called because of rules.

End of story.

Coaches are given leeway to attend to injured players, but Porter was out there to throw fuel on the fire. The fact that he was out there because an opposing player delivered a dirty hit is irrelevant. If he was truly out there to attend to a player that is one thing, but he was jawing with the Bengals players. Watch it again. Therefore he should have been flagged as well. BTW, watching the pregame, they showed Porter getting into it with Bengals players earlier this season, so there is a history that the officials would have or should have know about.

Rule 9-8-1i (unsportsmanlike conduct by non-players) Being on the field except as a substitute or a replaced player Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yard penalty

Edited by Flutie Flakes

Just curious, I'm at work this morning, and not able to see ESPN, but are they now reporting that the Shazier hit was totally illegal (because last night, most of their coverage, along with the dolts calling the game, and even that NFL Ref sycophant Mike Carey, were not pointing this out)?

The Burfict hit on Brown was the most reckless and dangerous play i have seen all year. It deserved an immediate ejection. The ball was well away and the 170 lb receiver was completely defenseless. To top it off, and maybe it shouldn't matter, but Brown is also one of the best and most exciting players in the league. Now he is likely out for at least a playoff game.

The fact that some are "outraged" by the call is incomprehensible. Football will always be a dangerous game, but garbage like that has absolutely no place in it. And anyone who thinks the game is becoming pussified, feel free to strap on the pads and go out there for a kickoff or two, then let us know what you think.

Edited by mannc

screw the bengals and their roster of degenerates. burfict running into the tunnel after the INT. he should've never come back out. what a clown. I don't want to see a group of criminals in the playoffs. let them go back home and pursue more of their delinquent activities.

Marvin Lewis - coach of the year.

Am I the only person that thinks you don't throw a flag there at all?

It was a joke. Complete joke. They won the game for Pitt. Plain and simple.

You are not alone. Piss poor judgement inserting themselves into the outcome of the game. Should bring an NHL refs group to educate the NFL refs on game situations and how not to insert yourselves into almost every game at the wrong time.

burfict running into the tunnel after the INT. he should've never come back out. what a clown.

Yep. Simms pointed out that if no one had touched him, Burfict would have just scored a safety for the Steelers. As it turned out, he was down, but why risk it for such a self-indulgent display?

Do you want to see a Steelers player suspended? If so, who, and for what?

NFL.com is confirming what I said in the Shoutbox: injury timeout is not a free pass for assistant linebacker coaches to come onto the field. It's supposed to be trainers, medical staff, and the HC. The zebras normally cut the team some slack if there are real concerns that a guy is all right and don't enforce it, but Porter was on the field past the point of "concern for the player"

Shazier should be fined and suspended for the head shot on Bernard.

Yep. Simms pointed out that if no one had touched him, Burfict would have just scored a safety for the Steelers. As it turned out, he was down, but why risk it for such a self-indulgent display?

LOL. You have no idea how much I was praying that he was not touched. I would have lost it laughing.

I have absolutely no room in my heart for selfish, stupid, dirty players. None.

You are not alone. Piss poor judgement inserting themselves into the outcome of the game. Should bring an NHL refs group to educate the NFL refs on game situations and how not to insert yourselves into almost every game at the wrong time.

So the hit on Brown was not a personal foul? Or should you be allowed to criminally assault another player just because it's a close game?

End of story.

throw in the fact that no one knows what was said between the players and Porter. If they had just gotten into a scrum over some comments with no pushing or shoving it wouldn't have been an issue. The problem was the scumbag Pacman decided to try and go through a ref to throw a punch. That's what the flag was for you can't make contact with an official, you can't throw punches in a game at another player. Whether Porter is standing on the field saying something where league rules allow him to be in that situation, or on the sidelines saying something doesn't matter. Even if he is saying something trying to get them to do something, what's the difference between that and a QB trying to draw players offside?

Great post. You have it perfectly analyzed!

So the hit on Brown was not a personal foul? Or should you be allowed to criminally assault another player just because it's a close game?

No the penalty on Brown should have been called. It was the need to give one team an advantage by making the stupid PF call at that time in the game.

throw in the fact that no one knows what was said between the players and Porter. If they had just gotten into a scrum over some comments with no pushing or shoving it wouldn't have been an issue. The problem was the scumbag Pacman decided to try and go through a ref to throw a punch. That's what the flag was for you can't make contact with an official, you can't throw punches in a game at another player. Whether Porter is standing on the field saying something where league rules allow him to be in that situation, or on the sidelines saying something doesn't matter. Even if he is saying something trying to get them to do something, what's the difference between that and a QB trying to draw players offside?

Exactly...and lets day Porter even did say something stupid - Porter is a Coach and you are a player. You're about 20 seconds from winning a playoff game and you decide to lose your mind over WORDS? No impulse control on some of these clowns. None. If they weren't playing football they'd be out on the street robbing your house. Bunch of degenerates.

Great post. You have it perfectly analyzed!

No the penalty on Brown should have been called. It was the need to give one team an advantage by making the stupid PF call at that time in the game.

So your beef is with the call on Jones? I did not see it (and they did not replay it) so I don't have an opinion on that one.