AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

But not a single Steelers player will be suspended.

Do you want to see a Steelers player suspended? If so, who, and for what?

NFL.com is confirming what I said in the Shoutbox: injury timeout is not a free pass for assistant linebacker coaches to come onto the field. It's supposed to be trainers, medical staff, and the HC. The zebras normally cut the team some slack if there are real concerns that a guy is all right and don't enforce it, but Porter was on the field past the point of "concern for the player"

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Beerball... It was a weird play. Why you so sure was a catch? I think I am missing something in the rules.

To me, feet down don't count if the ball is moving. And the ball is definitely moving when goes from chest area to butt.

I see the ball in his hand pinned against his leg with two feet down. It moves away from his leg, but he maintains control in his hand and and at no point loses it. Great catch!

GlaringRaggedArmyant.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbz0o0spEgk

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I do think that the "he became a runner" crap is just that (crap). Guy took two very quick steps and barely got his head around. The talking heads have a narrative and they stick to it. It's been decided that hit was ok...until the league steps in on Tuesday or Wednesday and fines Shazier.

I'm not 100% sure where they draw that line but I'd guess roughly at completing the catch. Being defenseless through the process and being a runner once holding possession makes sense

Burfict is (rightly) being ripped for the inexcusable hit on Brown, but there is no way the Bengals would have been in position to win that game without him. The interception and his sack of Ben were flat-out phenomenal plays. He made plenty of others, too.

It was the weirdest play of the game. If this makes any sense to you...I thought he never had control of the ball, but I don't think he ever lost control of the ball.

It's textbook the type of example to point at when arguing "it's really hard to create a succinct rule that accurately accounts for all the ways a guy could catch a ball"

It can get really tough around the edges given the freak plays these guys are capable of.

I'm not 100% sure where they draw that line but I'd guess roughly at completing the catch. Being defenseless through the process and being a runner once holding possession makes sense

Huh? Are you reading all the posts in this thread? Go back and look at post #483. There is a CLEAR NFL rule that says leading with the crown of your helmet to make a tackle is a PF. And it doesn't even have to be a "helmet-to-helmet" hit. The more you know. :thumbsup:

Huh? Are you reading all the posts in this thread? Go back and look at post #483. There is a CLEAR NFL rule that says leading with the crown of your helmet to make a tackle is a PF. And it doesn't even have to be a "helmet-to-helmet" hit. The more you know. :thumbsup:

Yes ^^^^. Just call the penalty consistently, should NOT be a problem. Why have video review and not use it. NCAA does it all the time.

Thanks for the gif and links 26...guess we will see this play different for all eternity LOL. i just don't think the feet count to he secures the ball against the back of his leg, at which point he only gets the one foot down right it he corner. I think the YouTube shows that. But I get the he had it with two feet too. That's what Beerball was saying I think...never had control but never lost it either....

Sucks for Bengal fans, Stiller fans just used to getting a bunch of calls, especially if playoffs and Superbowls!

Proof positive for my continual argument that you don't win with stupid players. Two questionable characters with maturity issues cost the Bengals that game, unquestionably. They had to play smart, up with less than 30 seconds to go with the Steelers with no timeouts and they need 40 yards to get in range and oh by the way Roethlisberger didn't appear to be able to go down field. Morons. The only person happy about that was the RB who fumbled and escaped being the goat.

Basically, Burfict is Hughes and I could totally see him doing that same thing.

They'd both walk back to NE if that was Belichek but he doesn't waste time with out of control players anyway.

Was not a dirty play in my eyes, it was a football hit. It was just as "dirty" as Shazier's hit on Bernard which was a "good play".

Well, Bison, I disagree. The ball was clearly past the receiver at that point, and the receiver was defended and in no position to make the catch. Burfict saw a chance to take a head shot and take a guy out and he took it. C'mon man, DB and LB in coverage trained to watch the ball and know where the ball is, that's critical to the position. He knew it was passed. It was unnecessary roughness.

The Shazier hit was ruled correctly because he had caught the ball and transitioned to being a runner, but I don't like the rule. It was a legal hit and a fumble but if the NFL is serious about cutting down concusions it shouldn't be.

The Shazier hit was ruled correctly because he had caught the ball and transitioned to being a runner, but I don't like the rule. It was a legal hit and a fumble but if the NFL is serious about cutting down concusions it shouldn't be.

OMG. NO, the Shazier hit was NOT a legal hit. Go read post #483, and several posts after that too.

Proof positive for my continual argument that you don't win with stupid players. Two questionable characters with maturity issues cost the Bengals that game, unquestionably. They had to play smart, up with less than 30 seconds to go with the Steelers with no timeouts and they need 40 yards to get in range and oh by the way Roethlisberger didn't appear to be able to go down field. Morons. The only person happy about that was the RB who fumbled and escaped being the goat.

Basically, Burfict is Hughes and I could totally see him doing that same thing.

They'd both walk back to NE if that was Belichek but he doesn't waste time with out of control players anyway.

Burfict is Hughes? I totally disagree and could not see Hughes doing the same thing. They are alike in that Burfict never gets benefit of the doubt, but Hughes isn't a "dirty" player and he doesn't target players with his helmet. When did he ever do that?

Burfict is a completely out of control player who had to be restrained on the sidelines and talks **** in the media and gets in fights on the field. I don't really see how he is just like Hughes.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Burfict is (rightly) being ripped for the inexcusable hit on Brown, but there is no way the Bengals would have been in position to win that game without him. The interception and his sack of Ben were flat-out phenomenal plays. He made plenty of others, too.

Yeah he was playing great.

The Steelers were being dirty and inciting the Bengals.........really getting the best of them..........both Joey Porter and Mike Munchak should be fined and suspended for inciting much of the nonsense. Totally classless for coaches to act that way.

But Burfict shut them up with that hit on Big Ben.

How much must Steelers fans hate Burfict?.........takes out LeVeon Bell two years in a row.......has a history of pounding Big Ben and now likely ends their season even though he helped the Steelers win the game at the end.

Steelers were explosive enough to have made a run thru the AFC at least if they had won and remained healthy going into the divisional round.

Am I the only person that thinks you don't throw a flag there at all?

It was a joke. Complete joke. They won the game for Pitt. Plain and simple.

The flag actually should have been thrown on Porter, for being where he shouldn't have been, and "taunting" the Bungle players. But I guess there's a limit of one PF per game, per coaching staff. LOL

The bigger question is how 6 officials blew the call,

That's an easy one

the game is played really fast

22 players to keep an eye on

preconceptions

rule book that is too ambiguous

rule book that is too big

officials who don't know the rules

Am I the only person that thinks you don't throw a flag there at all?

It was a joke. Complete joke. They won the game for Pitt. Plain and simple.

Years ago, they wouldn't have.

But the players know the rules now.

They don't do the "offsetting fouls" for things like that.....that douchebag Joey Porter had no ACTUAL business being out there but by rule he was allowed to assist Brown and he didn't strike anyone.......it's Burfict's fault Porter was even on the field...............the situation was diffused until Pac-Man jumped over a refs back to take a pointless swing at Porter.........utter stupidity.........you can't contact an official like that................and they simply can't allow the games to get out of hand the way last nights did.

The Burfict hit alone was outrageous and stupid enough that it deserved to cost Cincy the game.

You've got a game all but won and you risk it hoping to concuss or break a guys neck at the end. :doh:

If they aren't going to follow the rules with regard to jumping on a ref then why restrict such an egregious penalty on Burfict to just 15 yards?.........15 yards is hardly a just punishment for that kill shot..............point is...........rules were followed.

Live by stupid and dirty play........die by stupid and dirty play.