AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

Excuse me for not taking Mike Pereira's word as gospel, but I need more than that. I thought that it was a penalty to headhunt whether you go after a receiver, runner, lineman whatever. (I may be merging NCAA and NFL rulebooks but I didn't think you could do that)

I think it should have been a penalty based on him tackling with the crown of his helmet since there was a rule change implemented in 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/native/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender?akapp=mobile&akview=phone&akvideo=on

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know off the topic of the last two minutes, but did anyone else think that TD catch by Byrant was not a catch? To me, when the ball slides from his hands to his butt, that is when the catch sequence starts agin and from that point ge only gets one foot down.

I was positive it was going to be overturned....but I think I am the only idiot who thought that.

It was the weirdest play of the game. If this makes any sense to you...I thought he never had control of the ball, but I don't think he ever lost control of the ball.

I know off the topic of the last two minutes, but did anyone else think that TD catch by Byrant was not a catch? To me, when the ball slides from his hands to his butt, that is when the catch sequence starts agin and from that point ge only gets one foot down.

I was positive it was going to be overturned....but I think I am the only idiot who thought that.

It was definitely a TD catch.

I watched the game with my buddy who is a diehard Bengals fan. My heart went out to him when Cincy fumbled that last time. I knew what was coming.

Both teams played very dirty and it was not a game where sportsman like conduct was regularly displayed.

I agree Lewis has to go at this point. The steelers were just as out of control, however Tomlin gets a pass because they won and he has a ring.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I watched the game with my buddy who is a diehard Bengals fan. My heart went out to him when Cincy fumbled that last time. I knew what was coming.

Both teams played very dirty and it was not a game where sportsman like conduct was regularly displayed.

I agree Lewis has to go at this point. The steelers were just as out of control, however Tomlinson gets a pass because they won and he has a ring.

LaDanian? Good points in all sincerity.

JMO

The Shazier hit should be a penalty, especially if the league is seriously trying to reduce concussions. Refs blew it and if any expert interprets the rules otherwise, then the rules are screwed up. But, we already knew that didn't we?

The Burfict hit was a penalty as well, just to be consistent. Brown was destroyed, didn't dive, and it should have been called.

My problem with the next PF is the time in the game they made the call. I'm a hockey fan, and the refs in that league are the best in the world. Why? because they understand the game and don't end up being a huge part in deciding the outcome of the game. The NFL refs do that every game. Whether it is the rules or the league itself, or the incompetence of the refs. The notion that the letter of the law is always followed, and know rational judgement is used, is a problem.

The Bengals deserved to lose because they fumbled the ball when the game should have been over.

JMO

It was definitely a TD catch.

I am with Beerball... It was a weird play. Why you so sure was a catch? I think I am missing something in the rules.

To me, feet down don't count if the ball is moving. And the ball is definitely moving when goes from chest area to butt.

I thought this also....and it seemed very clear to me. He was still fumbling with the ball to "secure" it. When he finally did secure it, clamped to his leg, at that point, he only got one foot in.

I have a challenge for Mike Pereira. Walk towards me while looking over your shoulder. The second you face forward I'll punch you in the face. Then tell me you weren't defenseless. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have a challenge for Mike Pereira. Walk towards me while looking over your shoulder. The second you face forward I'll punch you in the face. Then tell me you weren't defenseless.

I do think that the "he became a runner" crap is just that (crap). Guy took two very quick steps and barely got his head around. The talking heads have a narrative and they stick to it. It's been decided that hit was ok...until the league steps in on Tuesday or Wednesday and fines Shazier.

I do think that the "he became a runner" crap is just that (crap). Guy took two very quick steps and barely got his head around. The talking heads have a narrative and they stick to it. It's been decided that hit was ok...until the league steps in on Tuesday or Wednesday and fines Shazier.

Post #483 above makes it crystal clear that Shazier should have been flagged for a PF. Unless the NFL has changed the rule cited in that post (which was implemented in Sept. 2013), then there really is NO question about it. In fact, reading that rule, the player does NOT even have to go "helmet-to-helmet", and that's to protect the player from himself.

The bigger question is how 6 officials blew the call, and then doubly blew it after the challenge by Tomlin (for the fumble).....at that point, they should have for sure called the PF, marked off the penalty, and given the Bungles back the ball.

Edited by John in Jax