Report: Titans to squander position, hire Mularkey

The Rooney Rule doesn't break that cycle at all. The Rooney Rule doesn't force, or even motivate, a hire. And it doesn't bump guys like Mularkey off the carousel in favor of minorities. All the Rooney Rule does is give lip service to minority candidates that may, or may not, be qualified for head coaching positions.

Mike Tomlin was a surprise hire of the Steelers because he blew them away in the interview.

The Rooney Rule has some flaws but at least it's getting people interviews. Even if you don't get hired, those interviews can serve you well in the future.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that an NFL team with the #1 overall pick and an exciting young QB can't seem to do any better than a guy who has failed twice and has won 30% of his games as a HC is just stunning to me.

It's also hilarious. I can't wait to hear all the PR speak about how this is a great idea! LOL

The fact that an NFL team with the #1 overall pick and an exciting young QB can't seem to do any better than a guy who has failed twice and has won 30% of his games as a HC is just stunning to me.

It's also hilarious. I can't wait to hear all the PR speak about how this is a great idea! LOL

i know, it seems like it would be a very attractive spot for a HC

And its a great city in which to live. Were not talking about Detroit or Baltimore. Something about this hire smells funny to me.

Mike Tomlin was a surprise hire of the Steelers because he blew them away in the interview.

The Rooney Rule has some flaws but at least it's getting people interviews. Even if you don't get hired, those interviews can serve you well in the future.

Tomlin was not a Rooney Rule interview. His interview was scheduled after the Steelers had already satisfied the Rooney Rule.

I think the NFL is realistic with it. Previously the guys weren't even getting the interviews.

Maybe that specific link doesn't state it that strongly. Many other articles have, though.

If you're following the Titans coaching search (I have a friend out there who is a big Titans fan) it sounds like Mularkey is their man.

I do agree with those who point to the dysfunctional circus that is the Titans ownership situation as a possible reason.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I don't think it's as terrible as it sounds initially. Since he took over partway through, you get some continuity into next season and can dump him at the end without looking like you're cleveland.

Looking at the field of candidates, there's not anyone out there that I'm like, "Man, I want him as coach".

Edited by jeremy2020

I don't think it's as terrible as it sounds initially. Since he took over partway through, you get some continuity into next season and can dump him at the end without looking like you're cleveland.

Looking at the field of candidates, there's not anyone out there that I'm like, "Man, I want him as coach".

Put Mularkey out there as well....still feel that way?

Continuity with a proven multi-time failure is just plain nuts.

The Rooney Rule is actually a pretty smart compromise between mandating "affirmative action" hires and a freely competitive market. It increases opportunity for minorities, but without any sort of racial mandate for hiring them.

It's biggest problem is that, like most of these "racial equality" rules, it's an open-ended commitment. There's no way to say "Well, it worked, the problem is solved" and getting rid of it.

The Rooney Rule is actually a pretty smart compromise between mandating "affirmative action" hires and a freely competitive market. It increases opportunity for minorities, but without any sort of racial mandate for hiring them.

It's biggest problem is that, like most of these "racial equality" rules, it's an open-ended commitment. There's no way to say "Well, it worked, the problem is solved" and getting rid of it.

Well said. It's sad for all upcoming candidates, no matter color, that the same trash retread coaches get recycled over and over again.

This is all assuming others wanted the job.

This doesn't surprise me, everyone here keeps talking about continuity, but when it's another team that's keeping someone around to possibly keep some continuity on Their staff and scheme, they are called a joke and laughed at.

I'm not surprised they kept him, there was alot of talk going on that no o e would want the Titan job right now cause of the ownership situation that may change soon, so they keep the interim guy until a new owner comes in and they can decide what to do.

There are seven active African-American GMs, tied for the most ever in a single season. Whaley was the seventh in league history when he was hired; since then Cleveland’s Ray Farmer had become the eighth but we're back to seven.

I doubt that they would all be discriminating against hiring black coaches.

Furthermore:

“At the league office, the example is being set,” said Richard Lapchick, whose Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport gave the NFL its fifth consecutive “A” for racial hiring practices last year. That grade trailed only the NBA (A+) for the best racial hiring practices in U.S. college and pro sports.

How Black GMs Are Shaping the NFL:

http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/how-black-gms-are-shaping-the-nfl/63317

When the Bills hired Mularkey he was an unknown as a head coach. Bad decision, but it happens.

Then somehow he emerged in Jacksonville as a HC. Most said "WTF?" but he was promptly fired after one year. The league seemed to have caught on.

Now he is supposedly the favorite to be hired Titans HC? Shame on them, then. By now it ought to be obvious that this guy is not head coach material. He won 2 games for them as interim coach! Even there he was awful.

Yet NFL teams just have to keep hiring this guy. This is why the Rooney Rule exists.

No, actually Mularkey falls under the lesser known Rummy Rule, which allows certain jackwagons to hang around the league and pretend to be qualified coaches.

Vic Carucci reported it so it must be true!

Kind of sad that he's becoming the punch line of jokes around here I will say!

I do wonder if this is some type of an attempt by Tenn to get serious with Chip Kelly. Maybe Kelly's #1 choice is San Fran and if that falls through will go to Tenn. So Tenn is playing the Mularkey card now to force him to take them serious or he could end up another bridesmaid next to Doug Marrone.

I sincerely doubt that Mularkey will get the job. It's comical that someone would report he's being seriously considered.