What will get you excited for next season?

Virgil

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already excited about the offense with another year in the system and working together for our quadruplets -

TT

Sammy

Clay

Shady McCoy

On defense, excited for our shutdown corners and what I think will be some studs added in the draft, and again another year in the system to gel.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I heard Boomer Esiason on the radio this morning say that Bill Belichick would be there best option for the Giants head coaching job (he didn't hear anything, he just threw it out there as an opinion). Now if that ever happened that would be the most exciting thing to happen to the Bills in a very long time.

I would be excited by our hiring Pettine at AHC/DC under Rex. Whaley's comments about "signing our own free agents" leads me to believe that we are not going to makeover the defense in Rex's image just for a 1 year make/break. Pettine bridges Rex's style of D with our current roster (more or less).

This is a different job for Pettine under Rex. He would not be coming to be in his shadow, he would be more coming to rescue him. His best shot at another future HC gig would be to turn the defense around here.

I would then be thrilled if Mario restructured based on Pettine coming back. :pirate:

It will be impossible to get me excited about next season unless Rex chooses to resign in the next three days. Otherwise, not until they are 12-4 and have a bye into the second round of the playoffs.

Edited by Dr. K

I will not be as excited for next season as usual. I don't like or BILLieve in Rex. But, hope I am wrong. So, to answer your question.... I think week one will get me excited for next season.

If you want to truly get excited right now, just look at how bad the teams are in the AFC playoff field this year. The Bills are a team that will be ready to roll without learning new schemes on both sides of the ball. There's only one team in the 12 team playoff field that had new head coach/coordinators from the previous year (Denver). That may have been a bigger factor than anyone thought it might be.

pettine as our def coord which would mean we keep mario which would mean we restructure him to save cap money. this way we don't have to eat 7 mil in badly needed cap space and he's in a system he knows and is effective. sign glenn and extend gilmore. treadwell drops to us(unlikely but i'm hoping). If not draft a big athletic lb and the kicker from fl st.

If you want to truly get excited right now, just look at how bad the teams are in the AFC playoff field this year. The Bills are a team that will be ready to roll without learning new schemes on both sides of the ball. There's only one team in the 12 team playoff field that had new head coach/coordinators from the previous year (Denver). That may have been a bigger factor than anyone thought it might be.

One can always hope. The most disconcerting thing about next season is 4 games vs. the NFC West. Seattle, Arizona and St Louis are each formidable (Bad record for the Rams, but they did sweep the Hawks) and who knows what San Fran can put together this offseason. That is the division no one wants to face and the Bills will need to at least split it if the playoffs are to be reached.

One can always hope. The most disconcerting thing about next season is 4 games vs. the NFC West. Seattle, Arizona and St Louis are each formidable (Bad record for the Rams, but they did sweep the Hawks) and who knows what San Fran can put together this offseason. That is the division no one wants to face and the Bills will need to at least split it if the playoffs are to be reached.

The Seahawks and Cards will be very tough games, but Rams and 49ers should be seen potentially as very winnable games for the Bills. Depends on who the Niners get at QB and head coach though.

Too many let-downs over the past 16 off-seasons for anything done before the regular season to get a reasonable fan excited.

A new owner, GMs, HC's, high-priced free agents, top draft picks, etc. aren't enough. It's time to win games and throw excuses out the door.

Until the year they get a QB capable of winning playoff games, I don't get "hyped". We've been down this road too many times.

That's an odd statement. Unless you trade for a playoff-proven QB, how do you know you have such a QB?

Well, we know who our GM, HC, and QB is. The hype of the Rex Show has worn off. This season was a disappointment. Now, on to the next season! What would you need to see to feel optimistic and hyped for the season opener?

1. Hire a legit defensive coordinator and let him do the job. I'm not saying Pettine, but that would be fantastic. Either way, someone that Rex can work with, but let him do his job on gameday. Let Rex be the HC. If Pettine is an option, then throw the money his way and make it happen. I would immediately be excited about our defense if this happened.
  2. Offer Mario a re-structure. If he walks, at least say we tried. Mario has been a productive part of this team and the defensive turnaround started when he signed. He had a bad year during a time when many weren't buying in and everyone on the Defense took a step back. To single him out makes no sense to me. Yes, he was vocal but I'm okay with that. He's a force in the right system and we need to admit this year sucked. Get past it and try to make it work. Again, if he's not in, then let him go.
  3. Re-sign Incognito and Glenn.
  4. Additions, either through the Draft or FA - 2nd WR, ILB, RT. If we can solidify those positions, while finding some depth at G, S, and whatever spots Rex needs for the D.
  5. Rex staying humble this offseason. I feel like NYC was a circus. When he lost there, it was easy to blow off the criticism. I honestly feel like Rex got taken down a peg here these past few weeks. This city embraced him in ways I think surprised him. Yes, we are crazy and irrational as well, but we are also one huge family. Losing here and seeing the reaction from the city had a different affect on him. Way moreso than I ever saw in NYC. I'm really hope this put him in his place and he can focus more on his job than the hype machine.

That's pretty much it

I'll do my own list then comment on yours.

#1 is "improve the OL". We need to draft OLmen high, as well as resign Glenn and 'Cog. Henderson may or may not be back. If he is back, IMO he's shown he needs to be pushed to be servicable. Kujo has failed to push him successfully for the RT spot, even with Henderson's illness. Miller may or may not improve. And, it's time that we started grooming a backup Center. I want to see at least one OLman drafted in the first 3 rounds, a late round flyer a la Henderson, and a couple of sleeper mid to low tier FA pickups. I would like to know that the Bills have upgraded their offensive scouting. This is not Whaley's forte and IMO the most realistic criticism has been leveled at him over OL decisions (Pro personnel guy did get canned, probably over Legursky and Chris Williams).

#2 is "cut the BS about just give me good football players, Rex, shut the door to Whaley's office, and tell him what you really need". I see us as needing upgrades at LB, especially ML, DB (we had better not count on Aaron Williams, he must be pencilled in as a happy surprise), and probably a big honkin' DL or NT. This is a lot to accomplish in one season, especially with needs on OL. But this is one spot where Whaley has a real nose for talent on D, and if Rex is honest with him about what he actually needs (not just "good football players") I believe Whaley can find it one way or another.

#3 is "bring in more RBs". Tell Roman to quit muckin' and moanin' about needing more spots for FB and TE and WR and carry the number of RB he needs to get through the season with the run-first ground-n-pound offense he wants to run. What is Seattle carrying, 6 of 'em? Whaley took the flack but it's pretty clear to me that the RB numbers decision that looked totally crazy was driven by the number of roster spots Roman wanted at other positions. This doesn't mean draft high. Look for value, a la Karlos Williams. Scraping up RBs off the street the week of game time really hurt the Bills and for that matter, why were the RBs all getting injured in TC? Were they being over-worked? Which brings me to

#4 Analyze the injuries. We had way, way too many, especially in TC but all through the season. There needs to be a "Tiger Team" or "LDT" or whatever you want to call it put together to figure that out, and take whatever action is appropriate - upgrade the training staff, upgrade the conditioning program, get rid of the turf in the training facility, replace the turf in the Ralph Whatever is needed, Do It. And send Pegs the bill. He'll pay it.

#5 Muzzle Deep Throat. I'm sick of all the drama and trash and turmoil. I might not like them, but all these twittering pressmen aren't making **** up, not totally. Someone at OBD gets their rocks off on creating controversy in the press. Figure out a way ("Canary Trap") to find out who that is, and can their ass. Make it clear to all and sundry that their ass will follow out the door if they don't learn to shut it.

Well there we go.

My comments on your list:

#1. Rex is the master of the D and will stay that way while he's here. He fancies himself in that aspect, and that's not changing. Any DC brought in will be his Modkins. Just don't bring in Rob Ryan, 'kay?

#2. Mario has already said he doesn't want to restructure, and typical restructures are by extending the contract, which has its own problems down the road. Someone has to go to make cap space for Glenn, Incognito, and hopefully Taylor. If it's true and shows on film that Mario has been playing with half-speed and half-effort, he does not deserve to be extended. That would just be a slap in the face for guys who are trying. I don't like that it got to this point, but it did; let him go.

#3 I agree

#4 I put higher priority on OL and ILB (whatever Rex needs on D) and it's a big enough shopping list to split. I'd like a #2 WR, I certainly don't want to keep Harvin, Hogan, and Goodwin if he can't choose for football, but I'm hopeful Dez Lewis will take a step and we can't. Bottom line, it will be genuinely hard to find everything we need much less want

#5 Good luck with that. But it might happen. More than the impact of the community, I think Rex realizes he's at the end of his bloviating rope and it's time to "stand and deliver" or indeed, go down in history as a mediocre coach. No excuses about the GM doesn't support me or the players all got injured or whatever will be tolerated here. Did you see Rex's expression when the cameras were on him during Sunday's game? He looked...scared. Worried. As he should have.

If anyone has gotten this far....Rex's tenure with the Jets was marred by press leaks. Pettine was tagged with them. Pettine came to B'lo, no press leaks in B'lo, but leaks in NY continued. Now Rex comes to B'lo, Pettine is long gone from B'lo, press leaks continue. Does anyone else wonder if the "Press Leaks" are actually driven by Ryan, probably using someone close to him, trying to build himself "plausible deniability" for unpopular decisions or other stuff that's gone wrong? Nah, probably I'm just paranoid.

Edited by Hopeful