2016 Draft DB thread

Beerball

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S=P4. Recent performances of our backfield are reducing this need weekly. Rambo was Player of the Game vs Jets, but Duke Williams and “CB-S” players Corey Graham and McKelvin minimize the need. Bills have been to see:

S JORDAN LUCAS PENN STATE 206 (RD6-7)

S-WRF MALCOLM MITCHELL GEORGIA 240 (RD7-UDFA)

CB=P6. Bills and Seahawks currently have the best CB situations in the NFL, but Whaley says he'll draft one every year. I think he takes a year off, given that he has only 6 picks this year. He has good backups now in McKelvin and 6'1" Free Agent Mario Butler. Brooks is a FA, so he's on the bubble. Robey is small, but above average. I know the Bills scouts have been to Mackensie Alexander's practices (Clemson, ya know), and also Tre'davious White. Both are likely first-rounders, so that's unlikely.

Day 5 possibilities whom Bills scouts have seen are:

CB KEVON SEYMOUR USC 118 - RD4

CARRINGTON ARIZONA ST 145 - RD5

CB WILLIAM LIKELY MARYLAND unranked

Let the record state that I want the Bills to draft Su'a Cravens and/or Jeremy Cash. They are the new NFL hybrid S/LB that play close to the line. Both of them are playmakers behind the line of scrimmage or pass defense. If the Bills D stays healthy and add a NT, Edge, and Cravens/Cash- I think they will be a strength

CB Eli Apple from OSU just declared.

That actually adds another RD1 guy.

Which by my count, makes it 38!

Let the record state that I want the Bills to draft Su'a Cravens and/or Jeremy Cash. They are the new NFL hybrid S/LB that play close to the line. Both of them are playmakers behind the line of scrimmage or pass defense. If the Bills D stays healthy and add a NT, Edge, and Cravens/Cash- I think they will be a strength

Duly noted. Cash is in "My Five", btw. I don't think Cravens is as ideal a fit for Rex's 3-4, and Jeremy Cash may still be there at RD2#51.

If they don't take a "CB-S" in the first 2 days, I like Wayne Lyons who plays that "CB-S" role for Michigan. I don't think he makes it to RD6. 6-1 height, length, tenacity, Xfer from Stanford.

Let's go with BPA seven times and sort out the details in training camp. Taking inferior players because of where you think they fit early in an off season dooms you to get less value out of them over five seasons and build up a talent deficit. Injuries and turnover and time it can take for rookies to excel mean that picking what you think you need most isn't likely to be what you really need anyway.

The good news is that BPA is an inexact science, and often there will be multiple very similarly graded players at a pick, so you can go WR over OT, etc. But knowingly passing on a better player so you can get an inferior player at a different position is silly.

And I also don't buy the standard grades and think things need to be positionally weighted, so I'm not suggesting that we end up taking seven straight guards because Kiper grades them that way.

Let's go with BPA seven times and sort out the details in training camp. Taking inferior players because of where you think they fit early in an off season dooms you to get less value out of them over five seasons and build up a talent deficit. Injuries and turnover and time it can take for rookies to excel mean that picking what you think you need most isn't likely to be what you really need anyway.

The good news is that BPA is an inexact science, and often there will be multiple very similarly graded players at a pick, so you can go WR over OT, etc. But knowingly passing on a better player so you can get an inferior player at a different position is silly.

And I also don't buy the standard grades and think things need to be positionally weighted, so I'm not suggesting that we end up taking seven straight guards because Kiper grades them that way.

Try a BPA strategy on FanSpeak's OTC Simulator. It's fun. Rules are you have to take one of the top 3 players each round. You can go deeper if that position is filled by a previous pick you made.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Here's mine, following those rules:

1: R1P19
NT KENNY CLARK--sack a game, studies film a lot, savvy, varied passrush styles
UCLA
2: R2P18
DE SHILIQUE CALHOUN--Swiss Army Knife: plays RDE, LDE, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 OLB, some 3-tech, even drops into coverage
MICHIGAN STATE
3: R3P17
OT JOHN THEUS--Georgia LT who could play RG RT
4: R4P22
WR DE'RUNNYA WILSON--taller WR who gets head around, has terrific body control, makes bad-throw catches routine
MISSISSIPPI STATE
5: R5P17
FS MAX REDFIELD--Might be a need for Bills. If you have Premium OTC simulator, you can trade picks!
NOTRE DAME
6: R6P17
OLB/DE YANNICK NGAKOUE--2nd in nation in sacks with 14
MARYLAND
7: R7P21
QB KEVIN HOGAN--Value pick here. Smartest QB who can be inconsistent, streaky, 65-66percent, upside, upset USC
STANFORD
No OT or OG ever appeared in the top 3 selections.
Edited by Astrobot

Try a BPA strategy on FanSpeak's OTC Simulator. It's fun. Rules are you have to take one of the top 3 players each round. You can go deeper if that position is filled by a previous pick you made.

Using the Draftek board I suppose? Using the same board will add some consistency to the results

Here's mine, following those rules:

1: R1P19
NT KENNY CLARK--sack a game, studies film a lot, savvy, varied passrush styles
UCLA
2: R2P18
DE SHILIQUE CALHOUN--Swiss Army Knife: plays RDE, LDE, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 OLB, some 3-tech, even drops into coverage
MICHIGAN STATE
3: R3P17
OT JOHN THEUS--Georgia LT who could play RG RT
4: R4P22
WR DE'RUNNYA WILSON--taller WR who gets head around, has terrific body control, makes bad-throw catches routine
MISSISSIPPI STATE
5: R5P17
FS MAX REDFIELD--Might be a need for Bills. If you have Premium OTC simulator, you can trade picks!
NOTRE DAME
6: R6P17
OLB/DE YANNICK NGAKOUE--2nd in nation in sacks with 14
MARYLAND
7: R7P21
QB KEVIN HOGAN--Value pick here. Smartest QB who can be inconsistent, streaky, 65-66percent, upside, upset USC
STANFORD
No OT or OG ever appeared in the top 3 selections.

19: R1P19
OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
49: R2P18
OT JACK CONKLIN
MICHIGAN STATE
80: R3P17
WR RASHARD HIGGINS
COLORADO STATE
114: R4P19
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE
144: R5P17
K ROBERTO AGUAYO
FLORIDA STATE
174: R6P17
QB CODY KESSLER
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Let the record state that I want the Bills to draft Su'a Cravens and/or Jeremy Cash. They are the new NFL hybrid S/LB that play close to the line. Both of them are playmakers behind the line of scrimmage or pass defense.

Don't know enough about them to evaluate them as prospects, but I wouldn't be mad at the type of player you're describing. This defense is screaming for one (or two).

buckner a great fit for Rex scheme, right?

Ron Quinn, whose opinion I value on Twitter, says he's the optimum fit. Will choose him.

19: R1P19
OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
49: R2P18
OT JACK CONKLIN
MICHIGAN STATE
80: R3P17
WR RASHARD HIGGINS
COLORADO STATE
114: R4P19
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE
144: R5P17
K ROBERTO AGUAYO
FLORIDA STATE
174: R6P17
QB CODY KESSLER
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Who knows how far Jaylon Smith will fall, but if he's there at 19, you grab him. When healthy, he's a Pro Bowl talent.

Ron Quinn, whose opinion I value on Twitter, says he's the optimum fit. Will choose him.

Who knows how far Jaylon Smith will fall, but if he's there at 19, you grab him. When healthy, he's a Pro Bowl talent.

agree on smith. He would likely transform the LB group, so critical to the success of this D. Edited by YoloinOhio

Jayron Kearse, SS Clemson.

6'4", 210 lbs Kearse is a freak athletically. Physical at the line of scrimmage, excellent ball skills, would make an excellent SS/Linebacker hybrid.

Question will be where he goes. I've seen any where from 1st to 3rd round.

Jayron Kearse, SS Clemson.

6'4", 210 lbs Kearse is a freak athletically. Physical at the line of scrimmage, excellent ball skills, would make an excellent SS/Linebacker hybrid.

Question will be where he goes. I've seen any where from 1st to 3rd round.

We have Kearse as the first SS off the board and at #25 on our Big Board. If Aaron Williams can't come back, Kearse is a good pick.

There are players in position of need right around #19 that I'd rather have (Buckner at DE, Washington at NT), as I like some safeties later.

Bills will take a Safety early, and fringe fans will be outraged. If value is there, Whaley pulls trigger. He won't reach. Here is where I think he'd perceive value, prior to the Combine:

RD2=Vonn Bell Ohio St--ath, coverage safety, aggressive, gamechanger
RD2=Darian Thompson Boise St--runstuff, sideline-to-sideline, great size
RD3=Jalen Mills LSU--tackler, hands, upside, versatile (FS-SS)
RD3=Karl Joseph WVU--tough, explo, aggr, reflexes, out for '15, back by Combine
RD3=Miles Killebrew, SUtah-- tallest, fastest SS, exp disguising coverages, base 4-3
RD4=Trent Matthews, Colorado St-- ACL, 50 starts, 273 tkl, 10 INT, 23 deflects career

Bills will take a Safety early, and fringe fans will be outraged. If value is there, Whaley pulls trigger. He won't reach. Here is where I think he'd perceive value, prior to the Combine:

RD3=Miles Killebrew, SUtah-- tallest, fastest SS, exp disguising coverages, base 4-3

RD4=Trent Matthews, Colorado St-- ACL, 50 starts, 273 tkl, 10 INT, 23 deflects career

Karl Joseph would be great value in round 3

I was intrigued by Kearse and watched him closely against Bama. The scouting report is accurate in that he is inconstent and doesn't really stand out. Pass

Matt Miller of bleacher report has said a couple times that two NFL scouts he's talked to have OSU Safety Tyvis Powell ranked higher than his teammate Von Bell. While this seems curious to me and I can only imagine is due to his size, which is similar to Kam Chancellor, I would not be upset to take him in the 5th or later. He is certainly smarter and IMO an overall better player than Duke Williams and would be a nice depth safety who could use his size. This is a good analysis for anyone interested ...

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/1/20/10790854/ohio-state-tyvis-powell-2016-nfl-draft-prospects?utm_campaign=landgrantholyland&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Vonn Bell!!

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

I wasn't a big fan at first, but I'm coming around on Darian Thompson.

He's got some work to do in terms of giving up his cushion too quickly when forced to cover the slot, but he's got prototype size and is very versatile. Also, I like that he sticks his nose in the muck in run support.

The rest of this crop doesn't thrill me, especially Killebrew.

I wasn't a big fan at first, but I'm coming around on Darian Thompson.

He's got some work to do in terms of giving up his cushion too quickly when forced to cover the slot, but he's got prototype size and is very versatile. Also, I like that he sticks his nose in the muck in run support.

The rest of this crop doesn't thrill me, especially Killebrew.

What is your opinion of Su'a Cravens? Where would he line up in Rex's defense? I see him projected as an ILB in a 3-4. Could he be an in the box safety?