2016 Draft DB thread

Beerball

What is your opinion of Su'a Cravens? Where would he line up in Rex's defense? I see him projected as an ILB in a 3-4. Could he be an in the box safety?

I'd like to give you a solid opinion on Cravens, but the truth is that I just haven't seen enough of him in coverage to know if he can play safety in the NFL. My guess, just based on what I've seen, is that he'll have to play Will LB in the NFL.

He's a very good tackler; I just don't know that he can hold his own against NFL blockers.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to give you a solid opinion on Cravens, but the truth is that I just haven't seen enough of him in coverage to know if he can play safety in the NFL. My guess, just based on what I've seen, is that he'll have to play Will LB in the NFL.

He's a very good tackler; I just don't know that he can hold his own against NFL blockers.

Thanks. He gets a lot of interceptions and is a playmaker. He looks like he can cover slot. I imagine Rex likes Su'a a lot

10.5 sacks, 9 interceptions

The more I study the draft boards, the more I think that the Bills will end up with Cash (SS), Bell (SS) or Thompson (FS) with their second round pick. If that doesn't work out, I could see a Joseph (SS) or Mills (FS) in the third. I don't see them going DB prior to the second round where there appears to be a lot of options.

The more I study the draft boards, the more I think that the Bills will end up with Cash (SS), Bell (SS) or Thompson (FS) with their second round pick. If that doesn't work out, I could see a Joseph (SS) or Mills (FS) in the third. I don't see them going DB prior to the second round where there appears to be a lot of options.

I agree. There is not much left for safeties after round 2. I am guessing our second round pick is a safety, our third round is an edge rusher, and 4th round is a WR.

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

In the SB game I really like what I saw from Kj Miller and Killbrew. I wont be mad at bills for taking jeremy Cash in the 1st round after I saw the highlights you guys posted here dude is a !@#$ing beast (hopefully we take Ragland LB or Spence or Reed or another monster DL in the 1st) but def take Cash in the 2nd if they can (id like a DL/LB in the 1st), if not take Kj Miller in the 2nd or 3rd or Killbrew a little later 4th or 5th. I see Cash going to someone in the 1st round easy. Wish we had a shot at Weddle from the Chargers in FA but I dont think we have the $$ to do it. Id rather keep Glenn and incognito.

Edited by Marty McFly

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be very upset if we take a SS in the first round

Id rather go with FS Kevin Byard. After watching him the SB and the Highlight vids and vs Alabama IM ALL IN on Drafting Kevin Byard. Dude is a turnover PLAYMAKER with solid tackling skills. He's got a nose for the ball and madd INT's, we need a replacement for Searcy and I think Byard can be the one and start 1st year check out this from walterfootballs comments and the videos. Id take him in the 3rd or 4th if hes there

• Kevin Byard, S, Middle Tennessee

Height: 5-11. Weight: 216. Arm: 33.5. Hand: 9.88.

Projected 40 Time: 4.59.

Projected Round (2016): 3-5.

2/13/16: Byard had 61 tackles, four interceptions and five passes broken up in 2015. At the Senior Bowl, he was decent but didn't impress or hurt himself significantly.

8/17/15: Byard has displayed some serious instincts and ball skills over the past three seasons with interception totals of four (2012), five (2013) and six (2014). He has taken four of his 15 interceptions back for touchdowns. Beyond his nose for the ball, Byard also is a willing tackler despite having a career-low 66 tackles in 2014. He had 106 as a sophomore and 74 as a freshman. Byard has totaled 11 passes broken up across his career.

MTSU HIGHLIGHTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIwgr67-0xI

• VS ALABAMA 2015
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89gl-wc3ZRU
Edited by Marty McFly

from the videos I posted or your own knowledge, do you like him for our team? or who are your top 3 S you wanna draft?

Jalen Ramsey, obviously, if he's there at #19. I don't care if he misses games as a rookie; he'll be great.

I really like FS Darian Thompson in RD2 (watch the first 6 plays vs Virginia here http://draftbreakdown.com/video/darian-thompson-vs-virginia-2015/ )

, and Su'a Cravens is a hybrid safety in RD2 that I like.

Jeremy Cash of Duke could last until our RD3 pick, and would be tremendous value there. He's another hybrid S-CB

Even though he wasn't invited to the Combine, Byard is a Day 3 (RD5?) gem.

Edited by Astrobot

If the Bills want to add another nickel type corner, not a bad class to do it. Been watching a few CB's over the past couple of days.

I'd love Briean Boddy-Calhoun from Minnesota. I think he's the premier nickel in the class.

I hear that both the CB's from Minnesota are pretty decent? Is this your assessment also? I'd like to avoid taking a CB/safety too early as we have more pressing needs at LB, DL and WR. But I think there may be value in the Minn CB's and safety Dillion from WVA.

I hear that both the CB's from Minnesota are pretty decent? Is this your assessment also? I'd like to avoid taking a CB/safety too early as we have more pressing needs at LB, DL and WR. But I think there may be value in the Minn CB's and safety Dillion from WVA.

I like both Minnesota CB's in the right context. Murray came in a lot shorter than listed and I thought he'd be longer too. Can get really grabby, needs that coaching out of him. Take him Day 3 and coach him up, should be decent depth if nothing else. Boddy-Calhoun is NFL-ready to start Day 1 as a nickel. Good man skills, changes direction well. Scrappy bastard in run support too.

KJ Dillon is a guy I'd "bang the table" for. I think he'll be a steal if he goes where he's being projected. Buffalo is a great situation for him, wouldn't have to play immediately, could rotate in at either spot. Can try him out as a KR/PR in camp too. All the guys I like at safety this year seem to be the lower rated guys, maybe I'm just an idiot. :lol:

If you have a spare half hour, this is must watch stuff - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/deandre-houston-carson

The kid could be so damn good. My #2 safety behind Ramsey.

Really like DHC as a pass defender.

There are a few size-related flags for me: the relatively small frame, very short arms, and very small hands worry me with regard to getting off blocks and bringing down backs.

Very intriguing prospect for sure