2016 Draft DB thread

Beerball

If you have a spare half hour, this is must watch stuff - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/deandre-houston-carson

The kid could be so damn good. My #2 safety behind Ramsey.

Really like DHC as a pass defender.

There are a few size-related flags for me: the relatively small frame, very short arms, and very small hands worry me with regard to getting off blocks and bringing down backs.

Very intriguing prospect for sure

Carson might be the 2nd best cover safety behind Ramsey, I have him as a FS at the next level and has good man cover skills (former 3 year CB) and reads the QB's eyes very well on the back end most of his picks come from bad throws due to pressure where he is following the QB's eyes. Good zone defender especially in the back end in C2, and I would think C1 as the SHS as well. Could play CB in the NFL IMO.

His tackling technique is raw to say the least, he lunges a lot, loses his balance especially at the contact point and gets knocked backwards constantly giving up yards after contact. He gives up outside leverage in run support more than I like and takes bad angles when coming up from the secondary in run support, almost like he is out of control, excited or undisciplined in doing so. He can not be counted on to make the stop in the open field.

He's a potential special teams ace, impact defender on blocking punts and kicks, as well as in the coverage game itself.

If we lose Rambo in FA and get this guy in the 3rd, preferably 4th round, I would be thrilled. I have seen him play in person 3 times over the last 4 years and IMO he has NFL coverage ability as a FS.

I see him as the Ying to Landon Collins Yang... If you will.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carson might be the 2nd best cover safety behind Ramsey, I have him as a FS at the next level and has good man cover skills (former 3 year CB) and reads the QB's eyes very well on the back end most of his picks come from bad throws due to pressure where he is following the QB's eyes. Good zone defender especially in the back end in C2, and I would think C1 as the SHS as well. Could play CB in the NFL IMO.

His tackling technique is raw to say the least, he lunges a lot, loses his balance especially at the contact point and gets knocked backwards constantly giving up yards after contact. He gives up outside leverage in run support more than I like and takes bad angles when coming up from the secondary in run support, almost like he is out of control, excited or undisciplined in doing so. He can not be counted on to make the stop in the open field.

He's a potential special teams ace, impact defender on blocking punts and kicks, as well as in the coverage game itself.

If we lose Rambo in FA and get this guy in the 3rd, preferably 4th round, I would be thrilled. I have seen him play in person 3 times over the last 4 years and IMO he has NFL coverage ability as a FS.

Perfect assessment of him. I do have a legitimate fear that his career will be a short one unless he plays with more control. He's shown that he can tackle, just not consistently.

I'd anticipate that he tests pretty well in Indy. Brings a ton of versatility. That FG block vs Lafayette, his balance is ridiculous.

Perfect assessment of him. I do have a legitimate fear that his career will be a short one unless he plays with more control. He's shown that he can tackle, just not consistently.

I'd anticipate that he tests pretty well in Indy. Brings a ton of versatility. That FG block vs Lafayette, his balance is ridiculous.

Given that he's the slightest of the 12 top-ranked FS's, I'd worry about the injury possibility.

The timing will the an enemy of the Bills in selecting FS, I bet.

Jalen Ramsey will be long gone, Darian Thompson could be in the 33 range, so gone before our second pick.

Keanu Neal might be there at RD2#49. We have H-C going in RD3.

Thank you! ;) I try... Agreed on the control part 100% in addition to improving his tackling in general.

He reminds me of Gerrod Holliman a little, only I think he gives a much better effort all the time.

If he doesn't refine his control, tackling technique and ability, I agree that hes looking at a short career, although his versatility of being able to play CB could give him a 2nd/3rd chance.

I had not seen his block vs. Lafayette, heard about it, so I googled it and boy does he run the arc beautifully!! What a block, so fluid and the balance is ridiculous, a great play, so athletic. Thank you for pointing that out.

Here it is if anyone else wants to take a look; about the 3 minute mark:

@walterfootball

NFL Combine live 40 times for the defensive backs to be posted here - http://walterfootball.com/combine2016DB.php

Rex is drooling!

@walterfootball

Clemson S T.J. Green runs a 4.36 40 with a 1.52 10-yard split - http://walterfootball.com/combine2016DB.php

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

@walterfootball

#OSU CB Eli Apple improves to a 4.42 on his second run - http://walterfootball.com/combine2016DB.php

@MattBowen41

Ohio State CB Eli Apple in the low 4.4 range on his 40s. Those are very good times. 6-1, 199. Press-man skills. Plays the run too.

Clemson's Jones follows up his 1st 40 time with a 4.32. Great speed for an NFL Safety!

You should check out Kevin Byard from MTSU. Hes a playmaker that would be available in the 3rd or 4th round has the coverage skills, hands, and tackling. Regardless the way Rexs defense is set up we need a difference making S after finding a solid LB and DT/DE

Edited by Marty McFly