2016 Draft DB thread

Beerball

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jayron Kearse, SS Clemson.

6'4", 210 lbs Kearse is a freak athletically. Physical at the line of scrimmage, excellent ball skills, would make an excellent SS/Linebacker hybrid.

Question will be where he goes. I've seen any where from 1st to 3rd round.

We have Kearse as the first SS off the board and at #25 on our Big Board. If Aaron Williams can't come back, Kearse is a good pick.

There are players in position of need right around #19 that I'd rather have (Buckner at DE, Washington at NT), as I like some safeties later.

Bills will take a Safety early, and fringe fans will be outraged. If value is there, Whaley pulls trigger. He won't reach. Here is where I think he'd perceive value, prior to the Combine:

RD2=Vonn Bell Ohio St--ath, coverage safety, aggressive, gamechanger
RD2=Darian Thompson Boise St--runstuff, sideline-to-sideline, great size
RD3=Jalen Mills LSU--tackler, hands, upside, versatile (FS-SS)
RD3=Karl Joseph WVU--tough, explo, aggr, reflexes, out for '15, back by Combine
RD3=Miles Killebrew, SUtah-- tallest, fastest SS, exp disguising coverages, base 4-3
RD4=Trent Matthews, Colorado St-- ACL, 50 starts, 273 tkl, 10 INT, 23 deflects career

Bills will take a Safety early, and fringe fans will be outraged. If value is there, Whaley pulls trigger. He won't reach. Here is where I think he'd perceive value, prior to the Combine:

RD3=Miles Killebrew, SUtah-- tallest, fastest SS, exp disguising coverages, base 4-3

RD4=Trent Matthews, Colorado St-- ACL, 50 starts, 273 tkl, 10 INT, 23 deflects career

Karl Joseph would be great value in round 3

I was intrigued by Kearse and watched him closely against Bama. The scouting report is accurate in that he is inconstent and doesn't really stand out. Pass

Matt Miller of bleacher report has said a couple times that two NFL scouts he's talked to have OSU Safety Tyvis Powell ranked higher than his teammate Von Bell. While this seems curious to me and I can only imagine is due to his size, which is similar to Kam Chancellor, I would not be upset to take him in the 5th or later. He is certainly smarter and IMO an overall better player than Duke Williams and would be a nice depth safety who could use his size. This is a good analysis for anyone interested ...

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/1/20/10790854/ohio-state-tyvis-powell-2016-nfl-draft-prospects?utm_campaign=landgrantholyland&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Vonn Bell!!

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

@SalSports

With uncertainty at safety next season, Bills have watchful eye at Senior Bowl: http://www.wgr550.com/Senior-Bowl-With-uncertainty-at-safety-Bills-have-/22416545

North Team

29 K.J. Dillon; 6-1; 203 West Virginia

25 Miles Killebrew; 6-3; 230 Southern

23 Tyvis Powell; 6-3; 210 Ohio State

4 Darian Thompson; 6-2; 212 Boise State

South Team

36 DeAndre Houston-Carson; 6-2; 195 William & Mary

21 Sean Davis; 6-1; 202 Maryland

20 Kevin Byard; 5-1; 1217 Middle Tennessee

16 Jeremy Cash; 6-2; 210 Duke

I wasn't a big fan at first, but I'm coming around on Darian Thompson.

He's got some work to do in terms of giving up his cushion too quickly when forced to cover the slot, but he's got prototype size and is very versatile. Also, I like that he sticks his nose in the muck in run support.

The rest of this crop doesn't thrill me, especially Killebrew.

I wasn't a big fan at first, but I'm coming around on Darian Thompson.

He's got some work to do in terms of giving up his cushion too quickly when forced to cover the slot, but he's got prototype size and is very versatile. Also, I like that he sticks his nose in the muck in run support.

The rest of this crop doesn't thrill me, especially Killebrew.

What is your opinion of Su'a Cravens? Where would he line up in Rex's defense? I see him projected as an ILB in a 3-4. Could he be an in the box safety?