2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like me some Scooby Wright. He isn't the athlete some of these other guys are but his pre snap reads and instincts are excellent and since I am pretty sure we are using the #1 pick on the D Line, Scooby would be a great pickup in round 2 or 3.

Count me in for Scooby, love this kid. As a So. he made 164 tackles, 31 TFL, 15 sacks and 5 FF in a good conference. He was hurt most of this year so that may hurt his draft position but he looked like a top 5 pick, I'm not very good at understanding how Rex's 3-4 scheme works so I don't know where he'd fit but this kid is the kind of football player you find room for in your front 7. He will be a huge difference maker for years to come in the NFL.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

I like me some Scooby Wright. He isn't the athlete some of these other guys are but his pre snap reads and instincts are excellent and since I am pretty sure we are using the #1 pick on the D Line, Scooby would be a great pickup in round 2 or 3.

He'd take Hughes spot. I don't know where you put jerry then...

Reggie Ragland is nice... Matakevich from temple 2nd or 3rd?

on the other side.

Matakevich has great instincts but is not big, fast or strong enough

For some reason it reminds me of Ragnar Lothbrok which is so awesome

CBF

now that guy I would love on this team!! (should have been Clay Matthews)

Is that show still airing?

how dare you!!

The Bills need help at ILB more than any other position.

Danny Trevathan

Keenan Robinson

Rolando McClain

Brandon Marshall/Paul Worrilow are RFA

They desperately need an established effective player at MLB leading the defense.

They need the whole middle. We need a NT, a stud MLB, and a healthy Aaron Williams. Not to mention some edge rushers

Nice. Expected to make full recovery.

@brianhamiltonSI

NEWS: Jaylon Smith's ACL, LCL surgery "was solid," source tells SI. Nerve is "healthy and in great condition."

Jaylon Smith would be my pick if he is ready by week 8

Jaylon Smith would be my pick if he is ready by week 8

I was of the opposite opinion only a few days ago but I'm starting to convince myself that we can take him with #19 even if he sits the whole year. Even if we draft an immediate contributor #19, most of the improvement on defense next year is going to need to come from increased familiarity. As long as the recovery is going smoothly and as long as there was no truth to that dumb ultimatum rumor, I doubt there will be anyone else available that we would rather have on the team for 2017 and beyond.

With Rex's complex scheme we should look to pick up one of Denvers FA LBs just so we have a strong Veteran LB familiar with the pro game who wont have growing pains and then draft a stud LB to go along with the DE from Alabama. dudes a beast

Edited by Marty McFly

I'm all in on Ragland. As a Tide fan, it's a pleasure to watch him work every week.

Do you think he can cover NFL TE's/RB's in man coverage?

Ill be very interested to see how well he does tonight when Clemson spreads them out and he (if he does) mans up on some of the more athletic guys Clemson has.

Do you think he can cover NFL TE's/RB's in man coverage?

Ill be very interested to see how well he does tonight when Clemson spreads them out and he (if he does) mans up on some of the more athletic guys Clemson has.

Not sure he can cover, but he can play inside and line up at DE as an edge rusher. I'd take any of J. Smith, Myles Jack or Ragland. All three are smart, athletic freaks.

Edited by RyanC883

Not sure he can cover, but he can play inside and line up at DE as an edge rusher. I'd take any of J. Smith, Myles Jack or Ragland. All three are smart, athletic freaks.

Those 3 are my top targets if I was Bills GM

The Bills need help at ILB more than any other position.

Danny Trevathan

Keenan Robinson

Rolando McClain

Brandon Marshall/Paul Worrilow are RFA

They desperately need an established effective player at MLB leading the defense.

Yeah I definitely agree with you!! I really really like Danny Trevathan, he's always around the football.

I am even more convinced after last night he can't man up, as he did not and they put Foster in man coverage the majority of the game from what I saw, while Ragland dropped into zone and/or spied Watson while also bllitzing. In that system, Mosley would cover, seems they dont trust Ragland to do that, and I dont know how you take someone in the 1st who cant cover in today's NFL.

I could see Ragland falling in the draft like Landon Collins did last year due to pass defense issues, then Buffalo making a move up in the 2nd round and grabbing him after adding a more athletic upside guy in the 1st would make sense to me.

Smith or Jack IMO are 1st rounders for Buffalo if they are there and Ragland is a 2nd round value, although I highly doubt hes there at pick 49 in the 2nd round.

JMO: Jaylon Smith if he's there in the 1st (possible with the injury), then move up for Ragland in the 2nd if he falls, and the LB core would look very solid moving forward.

Ragland looked stuck in mud vs Clemson speed

Yeah, like a fish out of water, his skill set is in the box, between the hashes. He can handle the drop zone, but needs athletes around him to handle the perimeter and chasing duties.

I also did not see him doing much with alignments and handling the changes defensively himself.

If Vontaze Burfict becomes available due to his issues, should the Bills gamble on him? Or do you see him going crazy with the freedom Rex gives his players and in turn, doing more harm than good. He is clearly a great player and I think he is worth the risk. Get him, at probably a low cost high reward, and draft a game changing safety.

If Vontaze Burfict becomes available due to his issues, should the Bills gamble on him? Or do you see him going crazy with the freedom Rex gives his players and in turn, doing more harm than good. He is clearly a great player and I think he is worth the risk. Get him, at probably a low cost high reward, and draft a game changing safety.

He's not as good as you think he is. He was MUCH better prior to his knee injury, and he's definitely lost some explosiveness and more importantly a bunch of lateral quickness after the injury.

I don't mind his issues, but I don't think he's a high quality player.

I'm telling you guys that Skooby is the guy for this defense and we may be able to even grab him in the second. Good size, great instincts and athletic.

Not good in coverage, nor is he very fluid with CoD skills, but I do think he'll be there in the 2nd round, more likely in the 3rd. I'd rather have him in the 3rd than Ragland in the 1st.

Elite instincts and feel for the game, but I do not see him being a 3 down player.

Jaylon Smith (if he's gone, Darron Lee possibly) in the 1st and Scooby in the 3rd or better yet the 4th would be a win for Buffalo IMO.

Edited by P51

Not good in coverage, nor is he very fluid with CoD skills, but I do think he'll be there in the 2nd round, more likely in the 3rd. I'd rather have him in the 3rd than Ragland in the 1st.

Elite instincts and feel for the game, but I do not see him being a 3 down player.

Jaylon Smith (if he's gone, Darron Lee possibly) in the 1st and Scooby in the 3rd or better yet the 4th would be a win for Buffalo IMO.

imo I would go Jack or Smith in the 1st at LB and that's it. I would go Josh Perry in the 2nd before I'd take Lee in the 1st. I love lee as a player. But I think he's a bit of a luxury in our scheme and ILB is a bigger need. Lee has never played inside and is most effective in coverage and as a blitzer due to his speed. Not a fundamentally sound tackler. In fact he's a HS QB who didn't start playing LB until two years ago. Perry is very underrated and versatile. I think he would be a great fit next to P brown. He's not a MLB though. He would replace Bradham. I'm not sure if Preston is going to get forced out of that role and need replaced or not. Edited by YoloinOhio

imo I would go Jack or Smith in the 1st at LB and that's it. I would go Josh Perry in the 2nd before I'd take Lee in the 1st. I love lee as a player. But I think he's a bit of a luxury in our scheme and ILB is a bigger need. Lee has never played inside and is most effective in coverage and as a blitzer due to his speed. Not a fundamentally sound tackler. In fact he's a HS QB who didn't start playing LB until two years ago. Perry is very underrated and versatile. I think he would be a great fit next to P brown. He's not a MLB though. He would replace Bradham. I'm not sure if Preston is going to get forced out of that role and need replaced or not.

Im in on Jack or Smith in the 1st and would be shocked and happier than a pig in $h!t if either ends up in Buffalo, im surprised you dont like Lee there (at 19)? I think they clearly need an ILB who can handle the scheme and its complexities (cerebral type), and there are those guys in the draft, but none are as athletic as Kuechly or Wills and IMO not worth taking in the 1st round unless that is the missing piece for a defense, which I dont believe the Bills are near that point yet.

I think Lee is similar to Jack and Smith in terms of what he brings to the table, athleticism, speed, and most importantly the ability to cover, which I think this unit needs worse than anything else. A 3 down LB (ILB/OLB, anything) who can cover should be priority #1 IMO. Lee is a little shorter and lighter than Jack and Smith, but has a similar skill set. The way teams are spreading defenses out and passing more I think this has to be the priority for this team, a do it all LB. I dont think Lee is as good as Jack or Smith, and not as good as Shazier (all 3 of whom I believe are/were top 10 worthy draft picks, even Shazier I had a top 10 grade on), but I do think he's a 1st round worthy player, especially in today's NFL, I dont see much later in the draft with the potential. IMO free agency or later in the draft is a better place to address ILB, as FA for coverage backers is limited at best and the draft after these 3 is a crap shoot. Personally I dont think he's a luxury, but I understand why others would.

I cant comment much on Perry other than my buddy who is a huge Buckeyes fan and avid draftnik, swears he's going to be a 10+ year pro, but I havent started looking at him yet myself. Between you and him, ill have to take a good look at Perry sooner rather than later.

As for Brown, with Schwartz going to Philly, I would not be surprised to see Brown moved there to be honest, Ryans is 31 and a 4.5 million dollar cap hit with 1 year left on his deal, and they are going back to the 43 defense, it looks like they need at worst a SAM for that scheme with their personnel, potentially a MIKE of the future as well. I dont see Brown fitting this defense unless he picks it up quickly this off-season, or they believe he can. I believe he's miscast completely in this system, but would continue to excel in Schwarz's.

Edited by P51

Im in on Jack or Smith in the 1st and would be shocked and happier than a pig in **** if either ends up in Buffalo, im surprised you dont like Lee there (at 19)? I think they clearly need an ILB who can handle the scheme and its complexities (cerebral type), and there are those guys in the draft, but none are as athletic as Kuechly or Wills and IMO not worth taking in the 1st round unless that is the missing piece for a defense, which I dont believe the Bills are near that point yet.

I think Lee is similar to Jack and Smith in terms of what he brings to the table, athleticism, speed, and most importantly the ability to cover, which I think this unit needs worse than anything else. A 3 down LB (ILB/OLB, anything) who can cover should be priority #1 IMO. Lee is a little shorter and lighter than Jack and Smith, but has a similar skill set. The way teams are spreading defenses out and passing more I think this has to be the priority for this team, a do it all LB. I dont think Lee is as good as Jack or Smith, and not as good as Shazier (all 3 of whom I believe are/were top 10 worthy draft picks, even Shazier I had a top 10 grade on), but I do think he's a 1st round worthy player, especially in today's NFL, I dont see much later in the draft with the potential. IMO free agency or later in the draft is a better place to address ILB, as FA for coverage backers is limited at best and the draft after these 3 is a crap shoot. Personally I dont think he's a luxury, but I understand why others would.

I cant comment much on Perry other than my buddy who is a huge Buckeyes fan and avid draftnik, swears he's going to be a 10+ year pro, but I havent started looking at him yet myself. Between you and him, ill have to take a good look at Perry sooner rather than later.

As for Brown, with Schwartz going to Philly, I would not be surprised to see Brown moved there to be honest, Ryans is 31 and a 4.5 million dollar cap hit with 1 year left on his deal, and they are going back to the 43 defense, it looks like they need at worst a SAM for that scheme with their personnel, potentially a MIKE of the future as well. I dont see Brown fitting this defense unless he picks it up quickly this off-season, or they believe he can. I believe he's miscast completely in this system, but would continue to excel in Schwarz's.

If both Lee and Perry were available when the Bills pick in the 2nd round, I would have to go with Lee just as BPA. He's a 1st round talent. Like you said, he's the modern NFL OLB. But I don't think I would take him at 19. I feel like we need a more immediate starter in our defense. I actually think he could have used another year in college. He is very similar to Shazier, but more raw in technique. Shazier actually was even skinnier than Lee in college. He put on 15 between his junior season and the combine. Still fast and looks like he's been shot out of a cannon. I could see Lee turning into Shazier. Maybe I'm wrong and he will be a stud right out of the gate. IMO Lee is a faster, better version of Rookie Kiko. Without the off-field.

I think Josh Perry fits this D like a glove at LB. He is so smart and athletic and a leader. Can play inside or outside, cover, and even rush the passer. Jmo of course but he will be an under the radar great pick for some team.

Intersting thought on Preston to Eagles. I could see that. He just needs to be somewhere other than MLB. I don't think he's a bad player or that he can't play in this scheme. But Rex's MLB position is over his head. At this time.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If both Lee and Perry were available when the Bills pick in the 2nd round, I would have to go with Lee just as BPA. He's a 1st round talent. Like you said, he's the modern NFL OLB. But I don't think I would take him at 19. I feel like we need a more immediate starter in our defense. I actually think he could have used another year in college. He is very similar to Shazier, but more raw in technique. Shazier actually was even skinnier than Lee in college. He put on 15 between his junior season and the combine. Still fast and looks like he's been shot out of a cannon. I could see Lee turning into Shazier. Maybe I'm wrong and he will be a stud right out of the gate. IMO Lee is a faster, better version of Rookie Kiko. Without the off-field.

I think Josh Perry fits this D like a glove at LB. He is so smart and athletic and a leader. Can play inside or outside, cover, and even rush the passer. Jmo of course but he will be an under the radar great pick for some team.

Intersting thought on Preston to Eagles. I could see that. He just needs to be somewhere other than MLB. I don't think he's a bad player or that he can't play in this scheme. But Rex's MLB position is over his head. At this time.

I like the Kiko comparison, which actually sells me on him even more in the first. Even though I agree we need an immediate starter and agree Lee is still raw technically, especially wrapping up, keeping his feet under him and head up when tackling, his recognition and anticipation skills are certainly developing as well, but his long term potential for me makes him worth it at 19 with Jack and Smith off the board for me. I think he could use another year in school myself. When Shazier put on the weight and still blazed I was 100% on board, the opposite of Maybin which put me further in the other direction with "Mayhem" when he added weight and slowed down (sorry good folks of the OBX...). I dont think Lee will be studly out of the gate myself, but once he gets going and catches up with regards to the learning curve, I think he'll be a Shazier (lower ceiling) like player. My biggest concern with his is that I don't see him being able to add much good playing weight and keep his athleticism, which is concerning. Not sure why, but I think Thomas Davis a lot when I watch Lee.

I watched cut ups of the Penn St. (14'), and Minnesota (15') games with my buddy yesterday, and he left Mich St. (15') for my perusal. I was genuinely impressed and would agree with you sentiment 100% on Perry from what I saw. I love the idea of him in the 2nd if he's there, if he impresses at the Senior Bowl and combine he could push the end of the 1st round potentially. He would be a great pick for us in the 2nd, if he's there.

Brown is one of the more intriguing guys for me, he could get it and be a asset for this defense, but I think he like Mario is better off else where, and Philly makes a lot of sense to me, maaaaybe get a 4th back... Agreed that Rex's MLB is over his head at the current time, and I didnt see much progression during the season to make me think it will work out, but who knows?