2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

How am I off. Collins is nothing more than a box safety. So MCLain having an issue makes that an excuse and even as a returning player he is only a 2 down player who can't cover and he was a top 10 pick!!. Sound familiar. Hightower was a first round pickand Upshaw were 2nd round pick. Hightower was not brought in just to be a run stuffer. If that were the case he wouldn't have been drafted in the late first round. Finally wrestling a job away a job in his 4th year is not something to be proud of if your Kirkpatrick.

You said that none of the above improved in the NFL.

Collins has played one season...does he get any chance to improve or is his rookie year his ceiling? McClain was dubbed a run stopper only, yet he had 14 passes defended in his 2nd season. Your statement about Hightower is simply incorrect--teams draft run stopping LBs when they want them, not when you believe they should.

As to Kirkpatrick, he was drafted at a time when Cincinnati had Leon Hall and Terrence Newman--was he supposed to start over those guys?

These statements aren't grounded in practicality

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just had an argument with another OSU fan about Lee. I said I wouldn't take him til the 2nd and he says I'm an idiot, the dude can run and he's Shazier 2.0. But he can't tackle, I said. But he can RUN and cover. Ok then. It's a passing league I guess.

Im not giving him Shazier 2.0 (I dont think Lee's ceiling is that high), Shazier could run, cover, tackle, diagnose, and Lee certainly needs to improve in the tackling category, but thats an improvable skill, athleticism is not. Lee certainly could use some seasoning, but the draft rarely in itself comes with quick fixes.

Yeah, Lee is still really raw. Declared too early. I've got him as a 3rd round 4-3 WILL.

He's got potential but there's quite a few guys I have ahead of him because they're more likely to get a quick return on investment.

I'm going to get to Josh Perry next week. Was gutted he pulled out of the Senior Bowl.

3rd round? Wow...

Thats Christian Kirksey/Kevin Pierre-Louis territory.

Are short term returns better than long term gains?

I was really excited to watch Perry compete in the Sr. Bowl, groin injuries are rough but it was disappointing none the less for sure.

3rd round? Wow...

I was really excited to watch Perry compete in the Sr. Bowl, groin injuries are rough but it was disappointing none the less for sure.

perry has a ton of film and vs. very good competition. The senior bowl may have given him some highlights but he's someone teams probably won't move up or down too much. His interviews will be amazing. He is one of the smartest and high character college players I've met. I would say an important area for him will be his 40 time at the combine, so he will need to rest up that groin. Edited by YoloinOhio

3rd round? Wow...

As I said to Yolo, I can see circumstances where Lee goes higher. It all depends on roster composition for individual teams. Draft stock is a fickle thing, TJ Graham was a 3rd rounder because the Bills thought he was. Even if many others teams and media had him much lower. Only takes one team to love a player.

Personally, I tend to judge a lot of guys on what they are rather than what they might be. Development not being a constant, I usually err on the side of caution. Part of why I wasn't particularly high on Darby last year, I thought he might take longer to become the player he showed as a rookie.

perry has a ton of film and vs. very good competition. The senior bowl may have given him some highlights but he's someone teams probably won't move up or down too much. His interviews will be amazing. He is one of the smartest and high character college players I've met. I would say an important area for him will be his 40 time at the combine, so he will need to rest up that groin.

Very true, I just like seeing them play/practice vs. equal competition across the board. His football speed for me on tape is fine, I love how over rated the 40 yard dash is at the combine (it can be trained for), but it certainly is a measuring stick used by all teams.

Agreed on resting up the groin and the importance of the 40 time for him to move up boards (I dont think it will hurt him unless he runs a 5+ second), selfishly I dont want him to run too fast, so the Bills have a better shot at him in the 2nd round. He seems to "check" all the boxes at this point IMO.

Very true, I just like seeing them play/practice vs. equal competition across the board. His football speed for me on tape is fine, I love how over rated the 40 yard dash is at the combine (it can be trained for), but it certainly is a measuring stick used by all teams.

Agreed on resting up the groin and the importance of the 40 time for him to move up boards (I dont think it will hurt him unless he runs a 5+ second), selfishly I dont want him to run too fast, so the Bills have a better shot at him in the 2nd round. He seems to "check" all the boxes at this point IMO.

exactly as I think he's a solid second rounder and I've heard some draft analysts comment that they want to know his 40 time because they are watching him on film next to some really fast teammates, which may make him appear slower. One commented he fired up the film to watch Lee, and couldn't stop watching Perry. That's usually a good sign. But selfishly I think he's a great fit and if he would happen to fall with a slower 40 (or he doesn't run) I think you trust the tape and take him.

I wonder if Perry won't go to a 4-3 team as a WILL before he gets to us, say, in RD3.

I too wonder about tackling with Perry (lets others make the tackle; piles on).

Agree about character being off the charts; do you not take a Noah Spence and do take Josh Perry due to character? Hope Bills have moved away a bit from that model.

Also, the Buckeyes practice rugby style tackling now (like Seahawks) which Shazier did not (and still doesn't but the helmet spearing didn't start til he got to the 'Burgh). Perry had a very low missed tackling percentage. Interesting about piling on after others made the tackle - could be but the runner often didn't get to the second level of the D because the DL so quick. One game to study would be penn state. Their RB ate up the buckeye D. They couldn't stop him (good thing Sackenberg was trash) Can't recall but I think that was the game Perry got hurt.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2016/02/67287/film-study-attacking-the-ball-carrier-with-the-compression-tackle

I wonder if Perry won't go to a 4-3 team as a WILL before he gets to us, say, in RD3.

I too wonder about tackling with Perry (lets others make the tackle; piles on).

Agree about character being off the charts; do you not take a Noah Spence and do take Josh Perry due to character? Hope Bills have moved away a bit from that model.

I don't think character matters one or the other to the Bills from what I can tell. But for a MLB or safety they may want a team captain due to the leadership needed on the field in Rex D. Perry was a captain - but he's not a MLB.

Edit - I looked it up and Perry did sprain his ankle in the PSU game but came back in and ended up with 18 tackles. Btw I think the Bills had a scout at this game.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/10/hard_to_handle_joshua_perry_wa.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

@LedyardNFLDraft

2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ohio State LB Darron Lee http://wp.me/p72adI-1BpC

this is pretty spot on. I would add that he plays his best in big games. As a redshirt freshman he was defensive MVP in the semifinal last year vs Bama and IMO was the best defender on the field vs Oregon in the national title game. That trend continued this year. He's a baller. But all of those "rawness" attributes are there. He needs time to bulk up and develop. Though he's actually bigger than Shazier was he declared. My guess is he goes at the bottom of the first as a luxury pick to a good team like Seattle where he becomes all pro in 2-3 years. Edited by YoloinOhio

I wrote something on Kentrell Brothers - http://buffalofambase.org/2016/02/02/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-potential-bills-target-kentrell-brothers/

I've had issues on Firefox with it not loading the videos. If you have similar issues, let me know. IE works just fine.

Thanks, blokes!

this is pretty spot on. I would add that he plays his best in big games. As a redshirt freshman he was defensive MVP in the semifinal last year vs Bama and IMO was the best defender on the field vs Oregon in the national title game. That trend continued this year. He's a baller. But all of those "rawness" attributes are there. He needs time to bulk up and develop. Though he's actually bigger than Shazier was he declared. My guess is he goes at the bottom of the first as a luxury pick to a good team like Seattle where he becomes all pro in 2-3 years.

I think that this is probably correct. I wouldn't reach for a guy like this, but if he falls for whatever reason, you jump all over this is the second.

The more I read about the LBs, the more I think we'll go DL in the first.

this is pretty spot on. I would add that he plays his best in big games. As a redshirt freshman he was defensive MVP in the semifinal last year vs Bama and IMO was the best defender on the field vs Oregon in the national title game. That trend continued this year. He's a baller. But all of those "rawness" attributes are there. He needs time to bulk up and develop. Though he's actually bigger than Shazier was he declared. My guess is he goes at the bottom of the first as a luxury pick to a good team like Seattle where he becomes all pro in 2-3 years.

An all-pro in 2-3 years? Sounds like someone we would pass on... Lol

I wrote something on Kentrell Brothers - http://buffalofambase.org/2016/02/02/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-potential-bills-target-kentrell-brothers/

I've had issues on Firefox with it not loading the videos. If you have similar issues, let me know. IE works just fine.

Great write-up. Quick diagnostician making up for lack of lateral speed. If he were there in RD3 (or even late 2nd on a trade-down), I'd seriously consider it.

If we could have Lee's sideline to sideline speed with Kentrell Brothers' diagnostic instincts, we'd have a player.

Great write-up. Quick diagnostician making up for lack of lateral speed. If he were there in RD3 (or even late 2nd on a trade-down), I'd seriously consider it.

Thanks. I think that Rex needs smart guys over pure athletes, given the multitude of looks he employs. I think Kentrell's football IQ really sets him apart.

I noticed one thing on the arm length. Brothers and David Harris are arm length twins so I'm confident it wouldn't put Rex off him. Now, if only he could run Harris' 4.6 time.

Edited by Blokestradamus

When in doubt, grab two OLB's! (FanSpeak OTC Mock, FanSpeak Big Board, with trades)

19: R1P19
OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
61: R2P30
OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
80: R3P17
DT VERNON BUTLER
LOUISIANA TECH
114: R4P19
ILB BLAKE MARTINEZ
STANFORD