2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have insight on Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Mizzou?

Looks like he had solid production but might not be a scheme fit.

Brothers isn't the drop and cover guy, you want Ragland, Fackrell, or FA vet to fill this position. I like Jatavis, he's hybrid OLB- S material and would have a learning curve that Ragland wouldn't have as much, and former Jets LBs wouldn't have hardly at all.

Anyone have insight on Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Mizzou?

Looks like he had solid production but might not be a scheme fit.

From what I have seen; Classic Thumper type at ILB, I see Brandon Spikes in him and my evaluation so far is about identical. Eyes' on defender, always around the ball, good awareness and recognition/diagnostic skills, instinctive and little wasted movement or false steps. Although he drops his head more than one would like, solid wrap up tackler for the most part who will go for the big hit when possible, but not out of control in doing so. More football player than athlete, better moving forward than backward, no long speed and short area quickness/athleticism is limited, he's an inside the hash backer, who is not chasing down many backs outside the hashes. His CoD skils are limited as are his man coverage ability, he could cover Fred Jackson... He does do a good job of sifting through traffic and finding ball carriers and shows an understanding of zone coverage into the intermediate area of the field. I actually do not see him being all that different than Ragland, less physical, but Brothers skill set is not far behind Ragland IMO.

IMO: 2 down run defender and a 2nd round pick at best in todays NFL, with 3rd-4th round being most likely.

Edit: I dont think he's a great scheme fit and not worth picking for the Bills early unless he's there in the 5th round range myself.

Edited by P51

Has anyone seen much of this Elandon Roberts from Houston?

I've only watched his game against Navy, but wow...very active and seems to hit like a truck. Basically spied Keenan Reynolds the entire game from what I can tell.

I'd love to see if he can drop and cover, and if he can sustain that level of activity from game-to-game.

Edited by thebandit27

Strong endorsement; "He's 260 pounds, so the question is, can he play on third down, can he play the passing game? I think he can. Just because of his leadership skills, his toughness, I think he's going to be a three-down linebacker and a top-20 pick." but that's 2 "thinks" about coverage and being a 3 down guy... Not sure he's done his HW yet, it'll be interesting to see if his tune changes as the process plays out.

Is being able to cover required to be a top 20 pick at ILB?

Strong endorsement; "He's 260 pounds, so the question is, can he play on third down, can he play the passing game? I think he can. Just because of his leadership skills, his toughness, I think he's going to be a three-down linebacker and a top-20 pick." but that's 2 "thinks" about coverage and being a 3 down guy... Not sure he's done his HW yet, it'll be interesting to see if his tune changes as the process plays out.

Is being able to cover required to be a top 20 pick at ILB?

yes and play safety and DE. seriously.

Lets take a look at Brown coming in. what was he rated as? A thumper ala Spikes and the first year he surprised with his range. Are we going to replace him?

Who can play better than Bradham is the guy i want. Blitz, rush and cover the TE

If both Lee and Perry were available when the Bills pick in the 2nd round, I would have to go with Lee just as BPA. He's a 1st round talent. Like you said, he's the modern NFL OLB. But I don't think I would take him at 19. I feel like we need a more immediate starter in our defense. I actually think he could have used another year in college. He is very similar to Shazier, but more raw in technique. Shazier actually was even skinnier than Lee in college. He put on 15 between his junior season and the combine. Still fast and looks like he's been shot out of a cannon. I could see Lee turning into Shazier. Maybe I'm wrong and he will be a stud right out of the gate. IMO Lee is a faster, better version of Rookie Kiko. Without the off-field.

I think Josh Perry fits this D like a glove at LB. He is so smart and athletic and a leader. Can play inside or outside, cover, and even rush the passer. Jmo of course but he will be an under the radar great pick for some team.

Intersting thought on Preston to Eagles. I could see that. He just needs to be somewhere other than MLB. I don't think he's a bad player or that he can't play in this scheme. But Rex's MLB position is over his head. At this time.

I think Lee is one of the best players in this draft. You guys are pigeon holing yourselves by saying we need that big traditional MLB like Ragland or the big edge rusher like Jaylon Smith. If Lee is Ryan Shazier then he is one of the best 10 players in this draft. Having a 3 down LB who can cover WR's/TE's/RB's and be able to blitz like he does is not something you should overlook. I think the Bills realistically should take a long hard look at him at 19. I actually would think that you could use Darron Lee as a hybrid LB/S like Troy Polamalu or Kam Chancellor were used in their careers.

Edited by gonzo1105

I think Lee is one of the best players in this draft. You guys are pigeon holing yourselves by saying we need that big traditional MLB like Ragland or the big edge rusher like Jaylon Smith. If Lee is Ryan Shazier then he is one of the best 10 players in this draft. Having a 3 down LB who can cover WR's/TE's/RB's and be able to blitz like he does is not something you should overlook. I think the Bills realistically should take a long hard look at him at 19. I actually would think that you could use Darron Lee as a hybrid LB/S like Troy Polamalu or Kam Chancellor were used in their careers.

maybe but didn't both of those guys play safety in college? Lee was a QB until 2 years ago. It's too much of a reach that high in the 1st to project he can do things he's never done. I can't stand his arm tackles either, they are burned in my memory Edited by YoloinOhio