2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Darron Lee played QB AND Safety until two years ago. That tells me he hasn't maxed out his potential. With a guy like Ragland he isn't going to get much better. What you see is what you get

Not sure why you believe that...is there anything that makes you believe that he can't learn to cut down his steps on the field? Drop better in coverage? Get better at reading offenses?

@TyDunne

Notes: Florida's Antonio Morrison could be one one ILB option (and one vet could become available, too). http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/29/senior-bowl-notebook-floridas-morrison-could-be-the-answer-at-linebacker/

He's another thumper like Preston Brown and Brandon Spikes. Good run defender, but I'm far more interested in someone that can cover too.

He's another thumper like Preston Brown and Brandon Spikes. Good run defender, but I'm far more interested in someone that can cover too.

3 down LBs are hard to come by. No way the get Jack and Ragland might be gone too. Jaylon Smith perhaps?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 down LBs are hard to come by. No way the get Jack and Ragland might be gone too. Jaylon Smith perhaps?

I don't think that they necessarily need to get one of those 3 (I think all will be gone by 19 to be honest)...I just think they need to prioritize coverage over run-stopping. There are guys like Josh Perry, Deion Jones, etc. that can cover, but also play effectively in the run game that they need to be more focused on than guys like Morrison IMO.

Ragland is my pick in the 1st

no way we are drafting D in the first round . we don't need a great defense, just an unpredictable one, and Rex's scheme, not the players, gives you that. Rex on D is like Chan on offense, the scheme is the value, not the players. we need good smart players on defense, We need a great players on offense in today's NFL.

With very few exceptions, great offense beats great defense these days in the NFL. Rules are set up that way. If you can't score more than 25-30 points a game , you are going nowhere these days...

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Not sure why you believe that...is there anything that makes you believe that he can't learn to cut down his steps on the field? Drop better in coverage? Get better at reading offenses?

I agree with gonzo (I'd take Lee over Ragland myself)...

IMO Ragland is not going to get more athletic, he's already good at reading offenses, making defensive adjustments and not taking false steps, he can get better in his drops, but he's not suddenly going to learn how to run with backs and athletic TE's, or slot WR's because right now, because IMO he does not have physical ability to do so.

Hence forth, Ragland IMO as well is who he is and close to his ceiling, which for what he is, is high (starting 2 down ILB in the NFL) but I am not buying he's a true 3 down LB yet, from what I've seen not "twitchy" enough, nor does he have the CoD skills. Although he did look a little better than I thought in the senior bowl practices I have seen.

Im hoping Jaylon Smith falls because of injury concerns and the medical checks out (which would really nullify the concerns) and Buffalo has a chance and takes it on him, short term yes, he may miss a season, long term it could be the steal of the 16' draft.

I agree with gonzo (I'd take Lee over Ragland myself)...

IMO Ragland is not going to get more athletic, he's already good at reading offenses, making defensive adjustments and not taking false steps, he can get better in his drops, but he's not suddenly going to learn how to run with backs and athletic TE's, or slot WR's because right now, because IMO he does not have physical ability to do so.

Hence forth, Ragland IMO as well is who he is and close to his ceiling, which for what he is, is high (starting 2 down ILB in the NFL) but I am not buying he's a true 3 down LB yet, from what I've seen not "twitchy" enough, nor does he have the CoD skills. Although he did look a little better than I thought in the senior bowl practices I have seen.

Im hoping Jaylon Smith falls because of injury concerns and the medical checks out (which would really nullify the concerns) and Buffalo has a chance and takes it on him, short term yes, he may miss a season, long term it could be the steal of the 16' draft.

just had an argument with another OSU fan about Lee. I said I wouldn't take him til the 2nd and he says I'm an idiot, the dude can run and he's Shazier 2.0. But he can't tackle, I said. But he can RUN and cover. Ok then. It's a passing league I guess.

just had an argument with another OSU fan about Lee. I said I wouldn't take him til the 2nd and he says I'm an idiot, the dude can run and he's Shazier 2.0. But he can't tackle, I said. But he can RUN and cover. Ok then. It's a passing league I guess.

Yeah, Lee is still really raw. Declared too early. I've got him as a 3rd round 4-3 WILL.

He's got potential but there's quite a few guys I have ahead of him because they're more likely to get a quick return on investment.

I'm going to get to Josh Perry next week. Was gutted he pulled out of the Senior Bowl.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Yeah, Lee is still really raw. Declared too early. I've got him as a 3rd round 4-3 WILL.

He's got potential but there's quite a few guys I have ahead of him because they're more likely to get a quick return on investment.

I'm going to get to Josh Perry next week. Was gutted he pulled out of the Senior Bowl.

my assessment as well, though IMO he will be a high pick for a good team who can afford to let him develop like Carolina

Grab Carson Wentz in the first & then Oakman in the 2nd. I would draft Oakman for the sole purpose of covering Gronk.

Is this real life?

my assessment as well, though IMO he will be a high pick for a good team who can afford to let him develop like Carolina

Yeah, I can see him being a late first rounder in the right situation. He's a playmaker, the ball seems to find him a lot.

Couple of years down the line, he might be superb.

Yes, Darron Lee played QB AND Safety until two years ago. That tells me he hasn't maxed out his potential. With a guy like Ragland he isn't going to get much better. What you see is what you get

Ragland not improve? does he have the "Slow development" stat in madden or something? I understand ur stance on Lee but, saying Ragland wont improve Just BC he's considered NFL Worthy it isnt a fair assumption to make rite now

Gronk would embarrass Oakman.

After watching Oakman make a few good plays in the senoir bowl he seems too slow to be that effective at the NFL level but thats only one game so meh....

Is this real life?

Yeah, I can see him being a late first rounder in the right situation. He's a playmaker, the ball seems to find him a lot.

Couple of years down the line, he might be superb.

Seriously would be pissed/disappointed if we go this route and take a QB even Wentz 1st Oakman 2nd...Just no....smh...no...

Bills visited wvu several times - keep an eye on

@kevinw_espn

#WVU LB Nick Kwiatkoski's instincts and recognition are off the charts. Fast eyes locating and reacting. Makes a lot of plays on tape.

@toddmcshay

@KevinW_ESPN One of just three LBs that @chris_spielman has liked on tape in two years of studying tape with him!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Is Ragland going to get faster? Maybe a little but not much. Is he going to be able to cover NFL WR's, TE'S, and RB'S. He didn't show he could do it in college. What makes me think he's going to be able to cover better players in the NFL. Look at Alabamas history with defensive players. Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Landon Collins, C.J Mosley, Marcell Dareus, Dee Milliner, Rolando McClain, HaHa Clinton Dix, Terrance Cody have in common?

All of them besides Dareus, Mosely, and maybe Dix came into the league and didn't improve when they got in the NFL. A lot of Alabama prospects are maxed out by the time they get into the pros. Ragland is 6'1 260 pounds. He is maxed out physically. The proof is in the history of Alabama defensive players.

Is Ragland going to get faster? Maybe a little but not much. Is he going to be able to cover NFL WR's, TE'S, and RB'S. He didn't show he could do it in college. What makes me think he's going to be able to cover better players in the NFL. Look at Alabamas history with defensive players. Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Landon Collins, C.J Mosley, Marcell Dareus, Dee Milliner, Rolando McClain, HaHa Clinton Dix, Terrance Cody have in common?

All of them besides Dareus, Mosely, and maybe Dix came into the league and didn't improve when they got in the NFL. A lot of Alabama prospects are maxed out by the time they get into the pros. Ragland is 6'1 260 pounds. He is maxed out physically. The proof is in the history of Alabama defensive players.

I think you're off a bit here

Collins was a rookie

McClain had a mental illness; once he got treatment he was very good for Dallas

Hightower is NE's replacement for Spikes as a run-stopping LB; they're string of losses to end the regular season coincided with his injury

Kirkpatrick finally wrested a starting job away from the other vets this season

Really, the examples that fit this argument are Upshaw, Cody, and Milliner, but even then, each player is a case into himself

How am I off. Collins is nothing more than a box safety. So MCLain having an issue makes that an excuse and even as a returning player he is only a 2 down player who can't cover and he was a top 10 pick!!. Sound familiar. Hightower was a first round pickand Upshaw were 2nd round pick. Hightower was not brought in just to be a run stuffer. If that were the case he wouldn't have been drafted in the late first round. Finally wrestling a job away a job in his 4th year is not something to be proud of if your Kirkpatrick.